Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longer lines at TLV

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by flyerby

When I usually fly out of TLV with RJ, it takes about a few minute wait in line for biz checkin counter. Once when I tried to checkin, I had a problem with my ticket and the person after me was on a motorized wheelchair which needed special care for the very very large battery. People after us in the checkin counter had to wait at least 40 mins in line.
Sh*t something happens (or may not in this case of LY but I don’t really know).
There's a difference between checkin at an outstation to checkin at the home base of the airline.
Sh*t can happen in outstations no doubt, but it's harder to justify when it happens at the airlines home base.

That being said, 20pax on 3 counters doesn't sound that bad, I can't see how the average checkin takes longer than 1-2 minutes, @Tlvyyz how long was the wait?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by Tlvyyz
Only 3 of the 10 stations open. El Al just lost another group of platinums. Nothing like this with any other airline.
This never happened to me. Usually i wait for 0-2 minutes. Maybe once I waited 5 minutes.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:04 am

This was the inner business check in after the initial security check - everyone had baggage to check, some seating issues. Some took 10 minutes, I'm guessing average of 5 minutes. Took me 30 minutes to check baggage - no excuse. They should have had more than three counters open.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Tlvyyz
This was the inner business check in after the initial security check - everyone had baggage to check, some seating issues. Some took 10 minutes, I'm guessing average of 5 minutes. Took me 30 minutes to check baggage - no excuse. They should have had more than three counters open.
They definitely have changed something in the last year or so in terms of the counter process. It could be a time a person could check in online an then goto the drop off line, but now that doesnt really exist and just a mosh pit of people.
Even though I prefer the return flight schedule of LY to YYZ, AC would not have similar issues.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Checked in last week on a Thursday night (in July) - was prepared for the worst. However, security downstairs only took 10 minutes ! (upstairs looked good too).

Then TK took 40 minutes to check me in . In the C/*G line.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by dand99

Then TK took 40 minutes to check me in . In the C/*G line.
That’s unusual for TK TLV.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist. Previously: A3-*G, LH-FTL
I noticed this as well.
For the past few times checking in with Cathay I noticed the check in counters are empty because all the passengers are stuck in the security line with passengers to other destinations.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I don't like it at all. Those passengers is complaining about long lines and they wait for more than 10 minutes. Avoid TLV!

They needed more help and get back to work. They had to get through and no more waiting 10 minutes at ticket counter. They need more agents. They won't stand a chance. They don't want missed the flight. They need beef up the security. The security who doesn't listen to those passengers. WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE! STOP WASTING THE TIME!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by N830MH
Avoid TLV!
As this is the El Al Forum, and many posters on it live in Israel, I think they would find it very difficult to fly out of the country while avoiding TLV.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Dovster
As this is the El Al Forum, and many posters on it live in Israel, I think they would find it very difficult to fly out of the country while avoiding TLV.
Well there's always HFA and ETM (or AMM)!
tedcruz likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Well there's always HFA and ETM (or AMM)!
BEY and DAM are both closer to my house than TLV but for some strange reason I am not allowed to fly out of either of them.
awayIgo and tedcruz like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:34 am

Ten minutes is not a long time to stand online. Economy passengers are recommended to get to TLV 3 hours before their flight. Business is 2. If you decide that you want to play games and get there later, than it is your choice. AND if you miss your flight--that is on you too!
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by dand99
For the past year or so I've noticed the pre-checkin lines get longer and longer.

Not rocket science, the IAA knows exactly how many pax are coming, yet consistently understaffs the security detail.
One idea to avoid the long lines would be to have Passport Exit Automated Security Screening Kiosks setup before entering the checkin Hall where you would answer questions for all those passengers who are deemed low risk. If you are deemed high risk the machine would direct you to a human Security Officer. During the process you are exited out of Israel by inserting your Visa and scanning your passport.

Then you head directly to the carryon security machines after the checkin. I think by having Exit Passport control before even checking in this would combine the two security check(like the Global Entry Machines in the USA). If the machine thinks you are a high risk due to your nationality/answers etc it will say" Sorry but due to security reasons you will need to speak with a security officer". Most people would not need to visit a security officer.

Perhaps if you arrive by Private Car with an Israeli License Plate that links you and rates you and perhaps a Biometric Photo is taken as you enter the roadside security. Once you get to the machine it knows you were coming from Tel Aviv with David Cohen so your risk level goes a step down and then it asks you questions like Does David Coihen live at 1 Rotschild Blvd and have a phone number of 444-44-33? By recording the vehicle you arrive in whether taxi,sheut etc you would be asked for your passport at the roadside checkpoint and a biometric photo is associated. The roadside agent would ask for a Tehudat Ze'ut from private cars and a Commercial License from all others to scan it to avoid extra security risks. This all can be done in 5 seconds and shave 30 minutes or more off the security screening.

if at the roadside checkpoint you are deemed high risk you would be taken to a secondary screening kiosk. To take it further let the roadside security checkpoint be the only security you need as a departing passenger. One area is just for departing passengers other people picking up passengers go to that area that leads directly to the garage(No curbside pickups would be allowed) and have a Free 30 minute grace period.

Thoughts?

Last edited by danielonn; Aug 25, 2018 at 4:42 pm
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:01 am

I don't see how it would take 5 seconds to scan passports/IDs etc. at the roadside checkpoint, most PAX will have to start digging them out etc., also not sure how would those biometric photos (of all PAX in the vehicle) be taken?

The security questioning for those who are deemed low risk doesn't take more than a minute per PAX, and maybe 2 minutes if it's e.g. a family of 4 or so, I doubt you will be able to shave much time by using automated machines instead, using the "automated passport control" machines in JFK e.g. took me more time than the average security interview in TLV.
awayIgo likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by N830MH
I don't like it at all. Those passengers is complaining about long lines and they wait for more than 10 minutes. Avoid TLV!

They needed more help and get back to work. They had to get through and no more waiting 10 minutes at ticket counter. They need more agents. They won't stand a chance. They don't want missed the flight. They need beef up the security. The security who doesn't listen to those passengers. WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE! STOP WASTING THE TIME!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.