FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   EL AL | Matmid (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid-610/)
-   -   Longer lines at TLV (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid/1902685-longer-lines-tlv.html)

dand99 Apr 6, 2018 5:24 pm

Longer lines at TLV

For the past year or so I've noticed the pre-checkin lines get longer and longer.

Not rocket science, the IAA knows exactly how many pax are coming, yet consistently understaffs the security detail. :mad:

joshwex90 Apr 8, 2018 1:32 am

Yup, also noticed issues. There are more passengers than ever before flying and to the naked eye there are fewer security officials interviewing. Some of the time compared to a few years ago is a wash with the lack of pre-check-in x-ray, but still annoying.

LatusElAl Apr 8, 2018 3:20 am

I have noticed that the post-check-in security has gotten ridiculously slow and inefficient. TLV security used to be a breeze compared to the TSA. Lately, the wait times have gotten worse.

joshwex90 Apr 8, 2018 3:47 am

Originally Posted by LatusElAl (Post 29615336)
I have noticed that the post-check-in security has gotten ridiculously slow and inefficient. TLV security used to be a breeze compared to the TSA. Lately, the wait times have gotten worse.

Big issue there as well

Used to be that the HBO line had its own security after the interview, but not anymore - even though there is a set-up for security right after. That's annoying and cuts in. (Maybe they felt it was no longer necessary after LCCs moved to T1? But it is.)

The C line can be quick but they frequently have just 1 machine and WTMD, so if one person has an issue, it blocks the line.

pyffii Apr 8, 2018 6:29 am

what effect does this have for EL Al business class passengers ?.....Reason being we have an upcoming 5.45am flight from TLV to JNB and was wondering what time we need to be at the airport...My wife has an Israeli and Australian passport whilst I only have an Australian passport

Dovster Apr 9, 2018 12:58 am

Originally Posted by pyffii (Post 29615673)
what effect does this have for EL Al business class passengers ?

It will have no effect at all. They have separate lines for pre-check in security and I have never had more than one or two people ahead of me in those lines. From there, you will go to the King David check in desks (you should finish with that in less than 5 minutes). Your next step will be the "TSA type" security check but just go to the very far right (your right as you are walking in) and at the very end you will see a line reserved for Biz-FC pax on any airline. Generally, I am the first one in that line. If you don't want to do any duty free shopping or sit in the King David Lounge, you should have no problem arriving at the airport 2 hours before your flight.

pyffii Apr 9, 2018 3:45 am

thanks much appreciated^:)

dand99 May 15, 2018 2:07 pm

Tue night 10pm B counters. Huge line. Four security checkers; one on groups, one on business, two on the huge line. Then reduced to zero - one walked and one went in search of pax soon boarding.

Coming up to an hour, standing here and waiting because the %)@#@ IAA cannot get its #&£@£ act together. They run a huge surplus - what the hell is the problem here???
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...aa391fee1d.jpg

nombody May 17, 2018 5:47 am

I flew out 10 days ago on Business Class on Lufthansa, and security interview line took 30 minutes at 2AM. I also noticed that they didn't check at all if I was really business class for the security interview.

Ditto May 17, 2018 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by nombody (Post 29763802)
I flew out 10 days ago on Business Class on Lufthansa, and security interview line took 30 minutes at 2AM. I also noticed that they didn't check at all if I was really business class for the security interview.

Mostly they don't ask as long as you say you are travelling in J, although I was once asked by a somewhat over-zealous security agent to show my BP, I figure with shorts and a t-shirt I don't necessarily look like the common business traveller.

pyffii May 17, 2018 11:19 pm

So I wonder what the security line will look like at 3.00am when travelling J with El Al ??

mikebg May 25, 2018 5:46 am

Originally Posted by pyffii (Post 29767055)
So I wonder what the security line will look like at 3.00am when travelling J with El Al ??

Very short. Maybe 2-3 passengers in front of you

pyffii May 25, 2018 3:15 pm

thanks and will let you know our experience in a few weeks time

Tlvyyz Jun 14, 2018 3:28 am

12:30 pm TLV El Al business checkin 20 people in line

Only 3 of the 10 stations open. El Al just lost another group of platinums. Nothing like this with any other airline.

flyerby Jun 14, 2018 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Tlvyyz (Post 29865225)
El Al just lost another group of platinums. Nothing like this with any other airline.

When I usually fly out of TLV with RJ, it takes about a few minute wait in line for biz checkin counter. Once when I tried to checkin, I had a problem with my ticket and the person after me was on a motorized wheelchair which needed special care for the very very large battery. People after us in the checkin counter had to wait at least 40 mins in line.
Sh*t something happens (or may not in this case of LY but I don’t really know).