Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

LY to launch SFO with the Dreamliner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum

Apologies for not posting this in the sticky but I think any new LY route deserves it's own thread.

Will be operated 3 times a week,, but not until the last quarter of 2018 mind.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Source? Which days and what times? Hopefully it will make it easier to get space on UA and upgrades
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:04 am

I'm only seeing Hebrew sources for now, all bundled with the UP announcment that is overshadowing this. For example:
?? ?? ???? ?? ???? ?????-???? UP

I suspect LY announced SFO so far in advance to try and lower the spotlight from the UP changes but if that's the case, the media isn't buying it so far.
Of course, I might me mistaken.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:14 am

Pure conjecture on my part. When the 787 finally starts flying to JFK, in the fall, replacing the 747 it is going to diminish passenger capacity on that route. By announcing new routes, while JFK will be lower, maybe with SFO and Miami, the overall US to TLV, will remain more or less constant.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I don't know why they'd choose to open a new route in direct competition with an airline with an actual hub on the other end?

Now that AA is out of the Israeli mAArket, it would seem prudent to hook up with them again in both MIA and ORD.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
It's about time they launched to SFO. If they had done it a couple of years ago it would have been hugely profitable for them, but alas...hopefully it will create some competition on the route and lower the fares. Currently insane UA pricing based on the monopoly on the route. I was just looking at flights for next week and there isn't even any availability some days in business class and it's over $2,000 R/T in coach - in January! Maybe now UA will launch LAX-TLV to compete with LY on that route.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:01 am

Shouldn't this be in the "New Routes from TLV" thread?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by entropy
I don't know why they'd choose to open a new route in direct competition with an airline with an actual hub on the other end?

Now that AA is out of the Israeli mAArket, it would seem prudent to hook up with them again in both MIA and ORD.
Well the UA route has been successful and maybe LY saw an opening as there is strong demand?

Though they should also be in ORD. Ridiculous that ORD has no direct flight to Israel but BOS does.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
UA's TLV-SFO has had critical negative impact on LY's TLV-LAX which was once a daily and for a while now is down to 3x/week. Most Israeli business travel to the West Coast is focused on northern CA. SFO makes so much more sense. There is obvious strong demand and LY should have been there years ago - but alas, LY decisions are not made based on market analysis but rather (mis)perceived prestige on the part of fat cat controlling shareholders who could care less about profit margins and care much more about leveraging their LY asset for benefits in their other business interests in Israel.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by awayIgo
Pure conjecture on my part. When the 787 finally starts flying to JFK, in the fall, replacing the 747 it is going to diminish passenger capacity on that route. By announcing new routes, while JFK will be lower, maybe with SFO and Miami, the overall US to TLV, will remain more or less constant.
They are going to add frequencies to both JFK and EWR once NYC goes all 787. LY capacity to NY might actually increase - though I think the added frequency is a good thing. Having said that, I, personally, would rather see NY stick with the 772 which I think is a superior long-haul aircraft to the cramped 787. I have come to HATE the LY 787. Only good thing on the 787 is the entertainment system; Everything else about the plane SUCKS.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's the whole purpose of the 787. Long-haul but smaller aircraft allows for high PRASM on the route. Also saves a good 3 hours in the air + ground-time at JFK. That makes the UA service all the more enticing.

ORD? Would like to see PRASM projections for that, but doubt they are as high as NYC or SFO.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
Source? Which days and what times? Hopefully it will make it easier to get space on UA and upgrades
Here's a link:

https://money.usnews.com/investing/news/articles/2018-01-03/israels-el-al-airlines-to-start-flights-to-silicon-valley?utm_content=65208442&utm_medium=social&utm_ source=twitter

LY will flying TLV-SFO in 4 quarters of 2018.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
https://thepointsguy.com/2018/01/el-...francisco-787/
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: EL AL Gold, BA Gold, LH M&M
LY might be a little late to the game
uA is going 77W effective 23 May on SFO-TLV
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by ly787
LY might be a little late to the game
uA is going 77W effective 23 May on SFO-TLV
Where did you see that? Overall more seats are good news for consumers although 10 abreast is painful

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.