Wiki Posts
Search

TLV Strike this weekend

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
TLV Strike this weekend

I read this article and still don't understand the reason for this strike. Because local communities are considering taxing something not in their jurisdiction? Wouldn't it make more sense to strike if one of them actually tried to put taxes in place, rather than pre-emptively?
http://www.globes.co.il/en/article-s...end-1001213619
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
The point is, if I understand correctly from reading in other media, is that they are afraid that the tax money will be taken away from their budget. It goes without saying that this is ridiculous and outrageous at the same time
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Okay, from what I understand from reading the linked article, Aryeh Deri of Shas is behind the tax idea and the airport authority workers are trying to scare him off of it by shutting down operations from Friday afternoon until Saturday night.

Are they out of their minds? Shas is a religious party and would like nothing better than to have TLV shut down on every weekend. If they really want to scare him, they should announce that the airport will only be working on Shabbatot and religious holidays.
BATLV and TWA884 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
And here's me hoping that my Saturday night EL AL flight won't be terribly affected
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
The story is that until now the airport has been totally "ex-territorial" about municipal taxes. It is a major moneyspinner. The municipalities nearby are not well off and get most of their income from businesses. They have felt for many years that the airport should be giving them a proportion of their massive profits. For Aryeh Deri this great, as he can be seen as the "great saviour of Lod" and thereby get more votes in the municipal elections all over the country. However the government position has been (until now) that the airport runs itself, takes nothing from the nearby towns, and therefore owes them nothing. The strike is over the plan to set up a committee to investigate the matter ...
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
That's an even dumber reason to strike - over a committee. And I thought we were headed away from the Banana Republic days...
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
For those of you in the know, how likely is this to happen? Is there likely to be a solution before this weekend or does my friend who is scheduled to fly home Saturday night need to start looking at alternatives?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by wrp96
For those of you in the know, how likely is this to happen? Is there likely to be a solution before this weekend or does my friend who is scheduled to fly home Saturday night need to start looking at alternatives?
Even if there is a strike, it is scheduled to end on Saturday night (most likely shortly after sundown) so your friend should be okay.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Usually, at the first announcement of a strike, it goes to the labor court who usually puts in a temporary injunction. Again, it's Israel to anything can happen. But often, it's on the second announcement that a strike happens.

ETA, at the airport, things tend to happen on a whim and a will.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by Dovster
If they really want to scare him, they should announce that the airport will only be working on Shabbatot and religious holidays.
Winner!
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:09 pm
Suspended

If anything it should favor ElAl, as they dont fly out from Fri afternoon to after Shabbos ends,OK they do using SunDor etc etc, but I think it will impact the foreign carriers much worse

Should have figured that Deri wants to get his hands into the cookie jar. They should have thrown away the key when they had him locked up

But I like the idea of BG being closed every Shabbos but its not gonna happen, that would help ElAl out greatly and then leave it to ElAl to shaft its passengers worse then they do now
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Winner!
And after take off there will be a mandatory circle around Kfar Chabad
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Strike has been called off! Only RJ and Air Sinai actually CXed their flights ahead of time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.