Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Rumor: LY or UA will start direct flight ORD-TLV

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Rumor! Rumor! Rumor!

Whatever LY or UA will start direct flight ORD-TLV.

Didn't LY stop flying ORD over a decades ago?

Let the speculation begin!
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Unless UA's SFO flight is doing so well I don't foresee it being UA. It's rather easy to fly from ORD to EWR and on to TLV with two daily flights and feeds from much of the midwest. If UA did do it I don't see it as a bad thing as long as the timing is good and maybe shift the 772 from EWR so both EWR flights are 77Ws when delivered.

LY flying to ORD and codesharing with AA sounds logical to me after AA dropped PHL-TLV.

Where did this "rumor" come from?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Came from Chicago Aviation Fans Facebook page. You should check it out.

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewt...?f=3&t=1372223
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Considering the success UA has had with SFO-TLV, it wouldn't surprise me if they considered it. Also LY is expanding to new historical routes with the new planes (MIA) so it would also make sense.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Unless UA's SFO flight is doing so well I don't foresee it being UA. It's rather easy to fly from ORD to EWR and on to TLV with two daily flights and feeds from much of the midwest. If UA did do it I don't see it as a bad thing as long as the timing is good and maybe shift the 772 from EWR so both EWR flights are 77Ws when delivered.

LY flying to ORD and codesharing with AA sounds logical to me after AA dropped PHL-TLV.

What? from all reports, SFO-TLV is doing very well (they upped it from 4/w to daily). With the elimination of real business on most Europe-TLV, anyone within a 2-4 hour reasonable catchment of ORD would be a good candidate.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I wasn't saying that SFO-TLV is doing poorly, but rather questions if it's doing so well that the flight goes out full with high paying fares regularly, with good cargo & little impact on EWR loads.
Many cities in the midwest are easily accessible via EWR too or with a relatively short drive to a larger airport nearby keeping it as a 1 stop flight to TLV. The smaller airports not served by EWR won't be filling up a plane to fly out of ORD.
A flight out of ORD would have little to no impact on me so I'm not against it. Just questioning the rationale when the plane could be used for other services that would serve the network better.

Originally Posted by entropy
What? from all reports, SFO-TLV is doing very well (they upped it from 4/w to daily). With the elimination of real business on most Europe-TLV, anyone within a 2-4 hour reasonable catchment of ORD would be a good candidate.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
They also upped CO 90 to a 77W, so while there's a lot of additional lift to TLV, I think overall demand is increasing and traffic is shifting away from european connections.

The best food inflight I ever had was on LH TLV-FRA in F; but there's no F and no real C anymore. I really don't know why anyone in their right mind would connect in europe anymore for a garbage NEV seat and sitting in the pathetic holding pen in FRA.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by entropy
They also upped CO 90 to a 77W, so while there's a lot of additional lift to TLV, I think overall demand is increasing and traffic is shifting away from european connections.

The best food inflight I ever had was on LH TLV-FRA in F; but there's no F and no real C anymore. I really don't know why anyone in their right mind would connect in europe anymore for a garbage NEV seat and sitting in the pathetic holding pen in FRA.
The 90 is terrible if youre in coach!

As for connecting in Europe I love it much better then the HS. I can walk around , take a shower and be refreshed when reboarding.

Did you forget about LX which is still 2x a day on widebodys, with a real Biz seat and cabin and service?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:31 am
Suspended

Many cities in the midwest are easily accessible via EWR too or with a relatively short drive to a larger airport nearby keeping it as a 1 stop flight to TLV. The smaller airports not served by EWR won't be filling up a plane to fly out of ORD.
A flight out of ORD would have little to no impact on me so I'm not against it. Just questioning the rationale when the plane could be used for other services that would serve the network better.
SFO made sense due to the Hi Tech biz and selling of Biz tkts. ORD will be leisure travelers mainly and bet SFO and EWR UA has that set for now.

As for LY it may work, but they 1st have to put the planes to work on those routes they are now flying getting rid of their 747s +. Then again LY doesnt a feed system in place and if a person will have to connect thats already in place. what may work is LY operates it with astop somewhere in Europe and can carry folks just between Europe and the US, but Im not sure they want all the security dealings that will come with that
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Originally Posted by craz
Did you forget about LX which is still 2x a day on widebodys, with a real Biz seat and cabin and service?
Also BA 2-3x a day flat beds and at least 1x F cabin, IB a mix of widebody and their decent mid-haul biz product, TK a mix between those and the occasional rubbish A320 biz seat a la LH.

SFO made sense due to the Hi Tech biz and selling of Biz tkts. ORD will be leisure travelers mainly and bet SFO and EWR UA has that set for now.
I'd imagine there's a decent freight component to consider too.
Innocent Abroad likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by frb98mf
Also BA 2-3x a day flat beds and at least 1x F cabin, IB a mix of widebody and their decent mid-haul biz product, TK a mix between those and the occasional rubbish A320 biz seat a la LH.

I'd imagine there's a decent freight component to consider too.
I thought the other poster was referring to LH products. Add SU to the mix as they use a bunch of aircraft 777/330/737(non lie flat) all with a reg biz cabin

Dont know how UA does cargo wise on that route,Id assume (maybe wrongly) that the bulk would be to LA where the Jewish community is larger especially Israeli ex-pats, and LY would have that covered via their non-stop
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
craz, does LY have such rights to carry pax between US and Europe?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by joshwex90
craz, does LY have such rights to carry pax between US and Europe?
I have no idea, TW and PanAm used to have rights out of France to/from TLV and cargo as well till the French KOed that.

My point was I just dont see LY making a go of ORD w/o being able to sell tkts where people just want to go to say ATH or just ATH to TLV. with MIA,BOS,and NYC they probably have it the best they will get it. DL couldnt make ATL work. Had they had a full US presence then maybe but having to rely on other to feed a ORD flight I just dont see it working out.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have no idea, TW and PanAm used to have rights out of France to/from TLV and cargo as well till the French KOed that.
Correct! Delta does have rights out of CDG-TLV, but they did start and after that they has been discontinued.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by N830MH
Correct! Delta does have rights out of CDG-TLV, but they did start and after that they has been discontinued.
When did DL fly CDG-TLV?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.