Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Special notice to travelers to Uman

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:42 am
Original Poster

I couldn't resist the temptation to add "a letter to Uman passengers" which was recently posted on the front page of the IAA (Israel Airport Authority). It's Hebrew only but the graphics should tell you the story...

(Context: the Jewish new year, in mid-September this year, is when many believers visit the grave of one Reb Nachman of Breslov in Uman, the Ukraine. Up to 50 daily flights leave from TLV to the Ukraine during this high season, and most passengers are, how shall I put it, less travel-savvy than the typical FlyerTalk reader.)

Shuly
Attached Images  
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by shuly
I couldn't resist the temptation to add "a letter to Uman passengers" which was recently posted on the front page of the IAA (Israel Airport Authority). It's Hebrew only but the graphics should tell you the story...

(Context: the Jewish new year, in mid-September this year, is when many believers visit the grave of one Reb Nachman of Breslov in Uman, the Ukraine. Up to 50 daily flights leave from TLV to the Ukraine during this high season, and most passengers are, how shall I put it, less travel-savvy than the typical FlyerTalk reader.)

Shuly
What is wrong with sending a carton box as checked-in luggage?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:24 am

I frequently check in a carton on ElAl, when I know I have more items going one way then the other.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Moving very OT, they should utilize the not really used Terminal 4 instead of both T1 and T3
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:36 pm

I always wondered how the boxes make it through a flight and the luggage hold. Do people get stopped at customs with the boxes?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Moving very OT, they should utilize the not really used Terminal 4 instead of both T1 and T3
Hajj terminal?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 2:39 pm

I have never been stopped at customs with a box. I think it varies from person to person. You don't need boxes to be bringing in things that are not allowed or above value. Believe me, customs would be very disappointed if they opened my box. --nothing to be taxed! nothing illegal!
Old Aug 26, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Which is the nearest airport to Ouman?
Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Hajj terminal?
In essence

Originally Posted by LY777
Which is the nearest airport to Ouman?
Believe VIN, though there's been talks of reopening an Uman airport
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:09 am

Thanks

So, there will be many flights per day from TLV to VIN?
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only around RH time, but yes. Tons of charters on a variety of Israeli airlines.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:23 am
Original Poster

You can see planned flights here:
http://www.iaa.gov.il/he-IL/airports...eFlights.aspx#

Vinitsa will see 4 direct flights on September 18 and 4 on the 19th. If you add other airports in the Ukraine, you will come to 40-50 daily flights. It's incredible.

Shuly
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:17 am

Vinitsa will see 4 direct flights on September 18 and 4 on the 19th. If you add other airports in the Ukraine, you will come to 40-50 daily flights. It's incredible.

Shuly
Are those planes then effectively flying empty in one direction? (presumably everybody flies TLV-Ukraine before, and returns after)
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ditto
Are those planes then effectively flying empty in one direction? (presumably everybody flies TLV-Ukraine before, and returns after)
Presume so, yes. There are some shorter "pilgrimage" flights to Europe (such as Elimelech of Lizhensk) where the plane sits on the ground and returns with "pilgrims" who fly for just a few hours.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:52 pm

Shuly
wow!!!

thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.