Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Air India Can't Get Overflight Rights to TLV

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot

http://www.globes.co.il/en/article-a...hts-1001187941

Frankly, I'm a little surprised that Air India actually expected to get overflight rights, although if I were the Indian government, I'd tell the ME3 and Saudia if they want to land in India at all they'd better give Air India overflight rights to go wherever they want - or just stop giving them overflight rights on their flights to the far East.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Was thinking the same on both counts.
Old May 11, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Not sure that would work. If we go to the end game India could lose overfly rights to anywhere going west. For ME3/Saudia going East they can just fly over Indian Ocean bypassing India without much bother.

When India banned Pakistani aircraft from its airspace the retaliation cost Indian aviation a lot more.
Old May 11, 2017, 2:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, QRPC Gold
I was looking at flightaware and the route taken by LY71 is pretty nuts (understandable given the situation but does not help in route profitability).

With all the flak that AI gets for operating unprofitable routes it would be a shame if they had to operate it similarly and lose money just as they appear to be making positive changes.

I wonder if they can fly with a stop in Istanbul (no IST-TLV rights of course) or operate a DEL-IST flight that times well with TK's five flights to TLV and codeshare with a few. In return, they could revisit the bilaterials with Turkey and stick it to the ME3 in the process.

LY's TLV-DEL flight has a block time in the region of 7-7.5 hrs and a connection on TK would be around 9 hrs which could probably be brought down a little bit by retiming the IST-DEL leg by a bit. If its a pure tag-on with AI, it could be even less or the same.

Ro
Old May 11, 2017, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
This has to do with the radical right wing sentiments sweeping across India at this moment especially against Muslims and calls to ban halal meat and ban beef meat for consumption or sale.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by jahason
Not sure that would work. If we go to the end game India could lose overfly rights to anywhere going west. For ME3/Saudia going East they can just fly over Indian Ocean bypassing India without much bother.

When India banned Pakistani aircraft from its airspace the retaliation cost Indian aviation a lot more.
Except that the ME3 and Saudia fly to a number of destinations in India and much of the ME3 traffic is getting Indians to the rest of the world since Air India has been so bad - sort of like TK vs. ElAl
Old May 11, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: DL SM, HH Silver, SPG Gold
Some corrections:
- TK operates 7-8 flights per day TLV-IST (not including SAW).
- LY hasn't operated TLV-DEL in many years (decades). TLV-BOM is typically blocked for about 8 hours.

For some reason I'm remembering that the DEL flight took the northerly route via Turkish airspace rather than southerly around Arabian peninsula?

When AI last operated to TLV, was it from DEL or BOM?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.