Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EL AL 787 Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
IB uses now only A330 on the route, so it's the normal long-haul J seat.
I'll be flying IB in C to MAD and onward to Panama City this summer. Looking forward to it (especially the honeymoon seats :-))
Innocent Abroad likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by joshwex90
It's very nice that LY now has true Premium Economy on the 787 but they can't seem to price it properly. Just compared r/t TLV-NYC and LY Y+ came out to more expensive than C on the route on a variety of European carriers including AZ, SN, LO, BA, LH, and OS. Yes it's direct, but I'd rather save the $100 and fly lie-flat on BA.
@joshwex90

LY is not the only one.

When AC first started taking delivery of their 788s and 789s in 2014, Premium Economy was pretty expensive - at least on TPAC, at about $2,300+ CAD

But.........

1. The seats were fantastic in the new cabin
2. The food and service were excellent
3. There was a dedicated FA for the cabin
4. There were curtains separating Premium Economy from Economy (along with the hard dividers)

Then in 2015, AC pricing for Premium Economy was bouncing all over the map. My main routes are TPAC and for most of my flights to NRT, the cabin was empty or had no more than 6 pax in 21 seats. AC was offering prices of $1,700-1,800 CAD RT and it was a killer deal and many of us bought a bunch. lol

Now that almost the entire 788 and 789 fleet have been delivered (8 and 25 respectively), AC has raised the prices on TATL and TPAC to well over $2,500 CAD or more, depending on the route and time of year etc and similar pricing on TATL which is much shorter flying time.

Here's the thing though:

AC removed the dedicated FA, they removed the curtain and they are no longer offering the same meals and inflight experience I had in 2014.

I've read similar on other airline forums on FT when those airlines started taking delivery of new 787s and 359s, or refurbishing current fleets as AC has also done. I've also read many complaints that Premium Economy is sold as a Premium Product but many airlines consider it to be essentially Y+.

I have no idea what LY will do especially given how new these aircraft are to the fleet. But I would expect some weird numbers until revenue management can figure out where the sweet spot is.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by Tlvyyz
Anyone have advise on seating preferences in Premium Economy? Row 10 (bulkhead?) vs. a back row?
Also, any compaison between exit row economy on ElAl 777 vs random Premium 787 seat? Is the Premium seat worth the additional cost?
PE on 787 is wider and more recline than exit row on 777.
I would take the 787 PE (can't comment on cost)
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:57 am

787 PE Seats

I flew TLV-LHR-TLV on the 787. My inbound was the first flight of the this 787 (4X-ECD)
On both flights I sat in 17K, bulkhead window seat in PE. Because this is a short-haul flight the service was regular Y service.
Seat - I felt that it was similar to the LH and AC seats. The bulkhead has a different footrest than the other rows.
IFE - defiantly an upgrade over the ancient LY product. I wonder if they will update the content.
Pillow - Similar to C, Blanket - Brown Holandia blanket (I think this is a new product)
Bottom line - Very comfortable compared to Y but not close to C.I was able to get the seats for free accuse I'm a GL, I would probably not pay 200$ for them.

I looked at C and Y. would not like to fly in Y, C looks very cramped.

Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:29 am

PE 787 vs Exit row Y 777

Thanks for the various responses - the trip is in about 2 months and unless El Al cancels my flight again, I'll submit my report for future reference. Still looking for comparison of row 17 (1st in PE) vs middle PE row on 787. Hoping 17 has more leg room but hard to tell.

Last edited by Tlvyyz; Mar 1, 2018 at 8:37 am
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Houminer
Because this is a short-haul flight the service was regular Y service.
Why would it be a regular Y service if it is Premium Y? That's definitely not the case on BA on that route.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by Houminer
I flew TLV-LHR-TLV on the 787. My inbound was the first flight of the this 787 (4X-ECD)

I think you mean 4X-EDC
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
Why would it be a regular Y service if it is Premium Y? That's definitely not the case on BA on that route.
Because they don't actually sell it as Premium Economy on the LHR route, so I'm guessing they sell the seats as Economy Plus/Preferred seats, or free for Elites.

You would think they would try and compete with BA's WTP, but this is ElAl we're talking about so who knows what their logic is, unless they are constantly switching aircraft.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by LY777

I think you mean 4X-EDC
Yes!
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by clubman
Because they don't actually sell it as Premium Economy on the LHR route, so I'm guessing they sell the seats as Economy Plus/Preferred seats, or free for Elites.

You would think they would try and compete with BA's WTP, but this is ElAl we're talking about so who knows what their logic is, unless they are constantly switching aircraft.
strange that they do it but then this is LY.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
They took delivery of the fourth 787 yesterday.

Globes English - El Al takes delivery of fourth Dreamliner
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:38 am

PE on EWR-TLV

My first long haul in LY PE:
I still think the seat is comparable to AC and LH. This time I was in the bulkhead, better than the other rows.
The service was pretty good, much better than AC. Dedicated FA's. The food is almost like C food. Real plates and cutlery, for some reason the cups are disposable.
IFE is very good.
My luggage didn't make the very long connection from AA. Typical LY, they have no idea what happened.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Thanks for the report!

Questions

How did the hard product compare to BA, AF, AZ (if you've flown them)?
How did the soft product compare to LH, BA, AF, AZ?
What was the price differential between PE and Y as well as between PE and C?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Thanks for the report!

Questions

How did the hard product compare to BA, AF, AZ (if you've flown them)?
How did the soft product compare to LH, BA, AF, AZ?
What was the price differential between PE and Y as well as between PE and C?
I only flew AC and LH in PE. Hard product was similar to both. Soft product was similar to LH, better than AC (they have no dedicated FA in PE, the second meal is Y meal).
Price - it's pretty hard to say. My ticket was TLV-JFK (LY upgradeable) then connecting to B6. Return was connection from AA to LY PE.
It was much much more expensive than Y, the difference to C was not that big (but corporate rules do not allow C).
sorry for not being helpful...
One more point, I have status only on LY and *A so no lounge on the outbound connection. It was my first time in the LY lounge in EWR - disgusting...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.