Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Ben Gurion now charging for (what they call) baggage trolleys

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ben Gurion now charging for (what they call) baggage trolleys

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Yesterday there was a mix of old carts there as well, plus a number of carts (at departures) just lying around.

One thing I really don't like about the new carts versus how they're done abroad - abroad, I find the next cart ready to be taken out (they get pushed up). Here, I had to walk all the way down the aisle (because I couldn't reach the cart from the side and the other side was a wall).
I dont any place within the US where the carts get automatically pushed up

that said, I returned my car to Hertz this morn (Mon) @ T3. And low and behold no rack in the outside lot where you park your car to return it. Walked inside to where you p/u your car and the nearest rack was empty, walked over to the rack near the 1st set of elevators and it too was empty Someone told me to go all the way to the 2nd bank of elevators towards the back(away from the term there s/b some there. as I was walking towards that rear rack I saw a lone cart sitting on the side. But Im done with Hertz as they they simply said its not our problem , I told them it most certainly is since you wont let me drop-off at T1 and they shuttle over here. Theres actually a very good chance that a person will have to go walking around on other floors in search of a cart in a rack.

The answer is just rent with anyone else but Hertz and drop off at the old lot and get dropped off on the departure level, problem taken care of, Herttz wasnt happy to hear that.I said there are numerous other companys that can serve me w/o my having to run around when Im trying to make a flight. I usually have 2 checked bags and my carry-on and since Im usually in for 2 weeks, Im not as fortunate as those with 1 checked bag and 1 carry-on that can manage w/o a cart, a pity since Hertz was by the cheapest rate wise.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
The Hertz franchise in Israel - "Kesher Rent A Car" - is a horrible company. Terrible customer service coupled with lousy technical know-how. They are clueless about vehicle upkeep and downright negligent in caring for basic issues both vis-a-vis their physical fleet and their customers. Stay away from Hertz in Israel.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
EWR Avis dropoff is also very bad for luggage carts. No cart dispenser at the rental car return. You need to go downdtairs, across to the rental office, pick one up from there and go back via the elevator ... great when you are in a hurry to catch a flight!
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by craz
The answer is just rent with anyone else but Hertz and drop off at the old lot and get dropped off on the departure level, problem taken care of, Herttz wasnt happy to hear that.I said there are numerous other companys that can serve me w/o my having to run around when Im trying to make a flight.
I'm not sure how dropping the car somewhere else, having to get your luggage over to the shuttle, wait for the shuttle (can be 10-15 minutes) is better than having to walk around a bit looking for a cart "when trying to make a flight" ?

Originally Posted by LatusElAl
The Hertz franchise in Israel - "Kesher Rent A Car" - is a horrible company. Terrible customer service coupled with lousy technical know-how. They are clueless about vehicle upkeep and downright negligent in caring for basic issues both vis-a-vis their physical fleet and their customers. Stay away from Hertz in Israel.
While this is very much off-topic, I beg to differ, I have rented from Hertz in TLV 3-4 times a year in the last 4 years and never had an issue, not with the car I received nor in the times I had to contact their customer service pre/post rental.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Not to keep the OT going, but I had always heard that Shlomo SixT is the worst in Israel. True?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ditto
I'm not sure how dropping the car somewhere else, having to get your luggage over to the shuttle, wait for the shuttle (can be 10-15 minutes) is better than having to walk around a bit looking for a cart "when trying to make a flight" ?
IMHO ALL the car rental companys stink, they arent corp locations and to me are no different then if Im renting from Brand X here in the US. But there isnt any other option, only to fin dthe best of the garbage.

As for droping @ the old lot, a few times when I messed up and was running really late Hertz simply told me to leave my bags in the car and drove to T3 with the car I was renting, otherwise I would have missed baggage check-in time. In most cases a shuttle came within 10 mins of me droping off the car and I alloted for that.

Not knowing where I will get a cart will mean not knowing how much time I need to allot and it seems you have to take the cart back outside to a rack to get your money back. Yesterday morning I saw an employee collecting the carts from the check-in counter area by UA he must have had close to a dz, where people didnt return them so I guess thats where they will make their money and plenty of it from the looks of things. that doesnt include those arriving who wont bother returning them either
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:13 pm

I have to also disagree with the negative comment about Hertz. I have been renting from them for years and years and haven't had problems. ( multiple rentals each year)

IN terms of Shlomo Sixt, if you read the Israel forum of Trip Advisor, they seem to always tell people to avoid Shlomo Sixt. I do know that there seem to be lots of complaints against Sixt on that site.

( and if someone will tell me what this has to do with baggage carts??????
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by awayIgo

( and if someone will tell me what this has to do with baggage carts??????
Everything, in as much as if a person will have more then 1 checked bag and rent with Hertz I simply wanted to warn them what happened to me , where there were no carts to be had at the closest racks to where you d/o the car if you rented from Hertz.

But being this is FT, of cause it goes OT and a discussion of the pros and cons to each company gets started and debated

I too have had more positive then negative experiences with Hertz, but I know my fair share of folks who havent which can be said for each company
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by craz
As for droping @ the old lot, a few times when I messed up and was running really late Hertz simply told me to leave my bags in the car and drove to T3 with the car I was renting, otherwise I would have missed baggage check-in time.
If you return the car so late that you might miss your baggage check-in time, you should leave one hour earlier, TLV airport advises PAX to arrive 3 hours before the flight...

Kudos on Hertz for being flexible and helping out ^
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ditto
If you return the car so late that you might miss your baggage check-in time, you should leave one hour earlier, TLV airport advises PAX to arrive 3 hours before the flight...

Kudos on Hertz for being flexible and helping out ^
Could be thats what the cart company had in mind, that many folks wont want to miss their flight , so they wont return the cart when departing back outside, and instead will simply leave it at the check-in counter area as I witnessed on Mon

does anyone know if there are racks on each floor in the parking garage/lots? what about those who will be taking a cab or Nesher are their racks in those places? there are a few in the rental car lot, just wished they made sure that there were some in teh rack for those returning their cars. I would have thought that it would be computer monitored so they will know when they need to remove some or none or almost none left so they can bring some, guess not
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Last week I heard an interview on the radio about the new trolleys.
They said that it is still a pilot and that the credit card are not charged even if you don't return the trolley.
He didn't say when they will start charging but that the pilot will end before the summer.

Was anyone here charged?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Houminer
Last week I heard an interview on the radio about the new trolleys.
They said that it is still a pilot and that the credit card are not charged even if you don't return the trolley.
He didn't say when they will start charging but that the pilot will end before the summer.

Was anyone here charged?
what do you mean by anyone charged? Did a charge appear and credit as well if you returned the cart, or did some one take acart and then didnt return it. I can say that my card never saw even a temp charge on it and I returned my cart to a rack and never was charged. Cant tell ya if thats the way its set up or if it was due to what you posted. But a person isnt suppose to pay the 10 shks as long as they return the cart within 5 hours of getting it
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by moe8555
What a ripoff! 10 shekels for this garbage? Even if I break my back I'm not paying for this. Also, people are lazy - probably a good chance of finding an abandoned one somewhere outside.
wont help you much outside after customs. how will you get back in??
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by mikebg
EWR Avis dropoff is also very bad for luggage carts. No cart dispenser at the rental car return. You need to go downdtairs, across to the rental office, pick one up from there and go back via the elevator ... great when you are in a hurry to catch a flight!
On our last trip there not even that helped, as all the luggage carts were tied together with thick rope and a padlock! One of the Avis staff came out with me and hunted around for ages until he found me an 'unattached' cart.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moe8555
What a ripoff! 10 shekels for this garbage? Even if I break my back I'm not paying for this. Also, people are lazy - probably a good chance of finding an abandoned one somewhere outside.
Relax! You get your money back when you return the cart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.