Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting Status

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2016, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Getting Status

I had a TP status for the last year matched from AA EXP in last years promotion after AA stopped the PHL flight...
I really tried giving El Al a chance in the beginning of the year flying several flights with them, HKG, BKK, AMS all in Y but wasn't really impressed in any of them, I was only upgraded one was to AMS nothing more then that...

As I do most of my flights in J, I was able to renew AA EXP, BA Gold and TK Elite easily while doing 715 points with LY...

I think that if I put all my flights together to LY (Probably would have paid much more) I am not sure I would have gone even Platinum, I am not even talking TP...

How do you guys get status? anyone here is Plat or TP? are there any sweet spots I am missing?

In 2016 I made mostly long trips, meaning I left IL 12-13 times, in 2017 that might change and I will do ~20 shorter trips, so I am trying to see if LY can be reconsidered somehow, I am booking my own flights so I have options but not at any price...

Please advice...
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Gaining status on LY is considerably harder than on other airlines. Back to back years I put the same amount of flying on UA and LY. Easily got UA gold, barely got Silver on LY (didn't 1 year)
Old Dec 21, 2016, 2:23 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Or A3*G that can be gained in 2 trips
Old Dec 21, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Funny, I was just wondering the same thing. I think without flying at the very least business, status is mostly out of the question. People with the higher statuses most likely fly a number of First flights or work in telecommuting jobs that have them flying to the US every 1-2 weeks.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:46 am
Original Poster

I travelled more the 250K miles this year and still I can't justify any reason to get LY status.
The only good thing that got from the TP this year was getting to the KD lounge instead of Dan...
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by sand372
I travelled more the 250K miles this year and still I can't justify any reason to get LY status.
The only good thing that got from the TP this year was getting to the KD lounge instead of Dan...
So here is your sweet spot for getting status with El Al:

1) Get a Fly Card Premium. You will immediately get 20% more status points for each flight. And 20% of the points you earn from charges each month will count for status.

2) Book fare class Z when booking business. It usually costs a little more than class J, but gives 50% more points.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by moe8555
So here is your sweet spot for getting status with El Al:

1) Get a Fly Card Premium. You will immediately get 20% more status points for each flight. And 20% of the points you earn from charges each month will count for status.

2) Book fare class Z when booking business. It usually costs a little more than class J, but gives 50% more points.
what is a fly card premium??

Last edited by martino; Jan 16, 2017 at 9:07 am Reason: mistake
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:05 am

sorry

Last edited by martino; Jan 16, 2017 at 9:09 am Reason: duplicative

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.