Wiki Posts
Search

New E-Passport Machines

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
New E-Passport Machines

Coming through TLV this morning I noticed that there are now new E-Passport machines at the end of each concourses - close to the rotunda - for incoming pax; interesting location...

I think I also noticed new machines at the right hand side of border control, the ones handling the biometric card, not the biometric passport that are located on the left. Oddly, there were only two officers at the desk so people were advised to go and use the E-Passport machines even without having a biometric passport.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 15, 2016, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I saw them outbound last time, but this would be great esp if they support foreign passports.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
I think I also noticed new machines at the right hand side of border control, the ones handling the biometric card, not the biometric passport that are located on the left. Oddly, there were only two officers at the desk so people were advised to go and use the E-Passport machines even without having a biometric passport.
Were they using the biometric cards at the E-Passport machines or were they using regular passports?
Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
Were they using the biometric cards at the E-Passport machines or were they using regular passports?
Regular (Israeli) passports. I used it both ways (out and in) last week. No card required.

Shuly
Old Jul 17, 2016, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by entropy
I saw them outbound last time, but this would be great esp if they support foreign passports.
There were claims awhile back of some type of reciprocal access (a deal was signed regarding US Global Entry members; a deal was discussed with the EU), but haven't seen that go anywhere

Originally Posted by shuly
Regular (Israeli) passports. I used it both ways (out and in) last week. No card required.

Shuly
You have a non-biometric passport but used the biometric kiosk?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Biometric passport vs biometric card machine

Do you need to input and data into the biometric passport machine?

I don't see how it can be faster than the biometric card machine (you only swipe the card and scan your hand).
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dovster
I was traveling with someone without access to the old (or new) biometric machine so stood at the regular line. On the left I saw the new E-Passport machine for use with biometric passport and on the right some kind of new machines but definitely NOT the same ones as those on the left. On the outbound - some three weeks ago - the old machines were in use so I'm not sure what are they. At any rate, the new machines at the end of the concourses are identical to those on the left side of border control, namely for biometric passports although apparently they can also handle non biometric passports.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Houminer
Do you need to input and data into the biometric passport machine?

I don't see how it can be faster than the biometric card machine (you only swipe the card and scan your hand).
No data to input, but they take your picture. I was traveling with my daughter who does not have a card (or a biometric passport). An agent approached us as we were queuing, asked whether we had Israeli passports, and then suggested that we use the new machine. We both did, and it was indeed as fast as using the card.

Shuly
Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:07 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Thumbs up Biometric scanning for all Israeli passports

I flew in and out of Ben Gurion last week with my family, most of whom do not have biometric passports.

It looks like all Israeli passport holders are being routed to the biometric machines at the moment, which is nice (keeps the queues down).

On the way back, I noticed biometric machines at all the different entry corridors (leading into the terminal form the sleeves) - and we got our entry slips there. Again, keeping the queues down.

Well done, IAA.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dand99
I flew in and out of Ben Gurion last week with my family, most of whom do not have biometric passports.

It looks like all Israeli passport holders are being routed to the biometric machines at the moment, which is nice (keeps the queues down).

On the way back, I noticed biometric machines at all the different entry corridors (leading into the terminal form the sleeves) - and we got our entry slips there. Again, keeping the queues down.

Well done, IAA.
Yes, had the same experience couple of weeks ago.

Last edited by yosithezet; Aug 4, 2016 at 11:48 am Reason: Post merger cleanup
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
I'm confused...

How do those without a biometric passport use the machines?

Also, when you say this is reducing the lines, I assume you mean the regular lines, and not by the machines which will only get busier.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:07 am

but does this mean they have less dedicated lines for the Israeli passport holders and more lines open for foreign passport holders?

The lines have been stupid for foreign passport holders. I wish they did snake lines rather than dedicated rows as you can be stuck behind someone for a long time.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by shuly
No data to input, but they take your picture. I was traveling with my daughter who does not have a card (or a biometric passport). An agent approached us as we were queuing, asked whether we had Israeli passports, and then suggested that we use the new machine. We both did, and it was indeed as fast as using the card.

Shuly
As of last week they had two people stationed near these machines calling on all Israeli passport holders to use them. Biometrics did not matter.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
it is interesting that the sign doesn't say Israelis only (neither in English or Hebrew)
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Machines were definitely not busy (more machines than agents, plus they're faster...)

I don't know the mechanism wrt non-bio passports = all I know is that the grainy picture that they printed on the exit slip was of the passport photo....

Originally Posted by clubman
I'm confused...

How do those without a biometric passport use the machines?

Also, when you say this is reducing the lines, I assume you mean the regular lines, and not by the machines which will only get busier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.