Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Is there any reason to fly with El Al if you are not Jewish?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there any reason to fly with El Al if you are not Jewish?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Cool Is there any reason to fly with El Al if you are not Jewish?

I'm just wondering why people fly with El Al.

El Al is one of the worst companies I've ever flown with, and the list of reasons is huge:

1. The company does not fly in the weekends, no Friday evening flights due to religion/god affairs. This automatically makes El Al not an option at all for people like me who work Mon-Fri, and who won't take one day off from work just because El Al do not fly on Friday. I hope that god is compensating them for the loss. Looks very stupid to ground entire fleet of jets for 24 hours.

2. Another layer of security (except when departing from Tel Aviv). Anyone who has flown with El Al know that on the gate they have a closed section where they have unpleasant and unskilled security people, who interview, interrogate, empty bags and inspect every atom of anything you have. This is supposed to be "random", but usually, non-jewish passangers (exluding families with kids) are automatically elected to be humiliated. They take them into a room on the side, they interview/interrogate/empty bags.

3. Crappy website / booking system.

4. Unskilled and unpleasant flight attendants.

5. Very old air planes.

So why people fly with El Al?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
I agree with everything but number 4.
FAs are usually very friendly, even if at times somewhat unprofessional.

In short, I would think the answer is no, especially as I can't find many reasons to fly them myself as a Jew (and an observant one too).
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The OP also dislikes BA/LHR.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-handling.html
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:57 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Unskilled security?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Yes. Unskilled and unfriendly

Originally Posted by Houminer
Unskilled security?
They ask stupid intrusive questions. They even asked me once to have a look in the pictures in my phone, and even more than that, they asked me to see an evidence that I'm employed, such as an employment contract, that happened at the airport. Oh, other company which operates inside Israel, asked me in the past, when I tried to board an aircraft for a domestic flight, " can we phone one of your colleagues at work?" and the question, how efficient these security questions are
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clubman
I agree with everything but number 4.
FAs are usually very friendly, even if at times somewhat unprofessional.

In short, I would think the answer is no, especially as I can't find many reasons to fly them myself as a Jew (and an observant one too).
The attendants are good people indeed, they are also "neighbourhood".
I also do not blame them, this is what fits the Israeli society.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by angry_flyer
4. Unskilled and unpleasant flight attendants.
The attendants are good people indeed
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
So why people fly with El Al?
To avoid Angry Flyers?

Ultimately there are only a few reasons people really fly LY:

1) Perception of security

2) Convenience of schedule

3) Corporate travel departments of Israeli companies

4) Nationalism

Those four factors have been enough to keep them in business, despite their shrinking market share.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
fly El Al because they have the best security in the industry

The answer to your query (which IMO is quite offensive) is obvious. The reason to fly El Al is because they take security seriously. Don't take my word for it............security experts have long recognized that a risk-based approach to security screening is more effective and secure. See, for example:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/daniel...b_4978149.html

Why is your question offensive. Every passenger (i.e. not only Jews) cares about airline security. I prefer leaving this important task in the hands of the experts.

By contrast, North American airlines rely on passenger reports, which are based on stereotypes. For example:

http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2009...s-on-a-flight/

Yes, AngryFlyer, El Al has the industry's best security. That should be reason enough to fly them - whether or not you are Jewish.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:00 am
Original Poster

How about copy pasting the entire thing:
The attendants are good people indeed, they are also "neighbourhood".
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYTA
To avoid Angry Flyers?

Ultimately there are only a few reasons people really fly LY:

1) Perception of security
If it is being targeted, it is safer not to fly with them.
2) Convenience of schedule
I agree on this.

3) Corporate travel departments of Israeli companies
Probably.

4) Nationalism
Huh? The title suggests that this company was designed for Jewish people. I'm not Jewish so I can't be nationalist for the Jewish state.

Those four factors have been enough to keep them in business, despite their shrinking market share.
They are loosing every year, they will be eventually nationalised as Israel can't allow itself to be without airliner, how Israeli people will be able to travel during Israeli yearly wars on Gaza when other airliners stop flying for safety reasons?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:24 am

They are loosing every year
Record Profits for EL AL :http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...-Profits-EL-AL

Best performing airline stock of 2015
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle27919757/

I will add my 2 (cdn) cents and say that on occasion, the airline can be price competitive (in form of getting to point A to B and back) for direct flights.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:26 pm

It's not just an airline, It's Israel

I would suggest the question should really be "Is there any reason to fly El Al if you are not Israeli?"

The answer? Probably not.

It's an issue that El Al is clearly aware of... The slogan of the company: "It's not just an airline, it's Israel". They must realise that their airline isn't amazing, that the security is cumbersome and intrusive and that flight times aren't exactly convenient for everyone. But if you're Israeli they want to use national pride to encourage people to fly the flag carrier.

For non Israeli's you are probably going to have to rely on some bargain air fares that the company floats around from time to time as the carrot to fly them. In the UK, the competition is stiff - Fly BA and get far better service. Fly Easyjet or Monarch and get a great fare. Choose any alternative and avoid the tough security regime (And let's be honest on this point - whether you argue that you feel safer because El Al take security 'seriously', that is still no excuse for the rude, abrupt and abrasive manner in which their agents carry out their duties).

El Al have their work cut out for sure.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
They ask stupid intrusive questions. They even asked me once to have a look in the pictures in my phone, and even more than that, they asked me to see an evidence that I'm employed, such as an employment contract, that happened at the airport.
They're watching your reaction, trying to measure your behaviour. Seems like you give off vibes that make them want to ask you more questions!

I worked for LY for a while, years ago now, and they took me on a fam-trip with some travel agents. I had cleared an employment background check, I was wearing my LY staff ID, I was with the tour leader, a well known LY employee - and I was still questioned, at CKIN and at the gate. And that's fine. I had nothing to hide, I answered their questions, whatever they were, and they let me pass easily. I was a little surprised I still got 'grilled' but it's okay. That's their job. I was happy knowing they were doing the same to everyone. Maybe it's theatre, maybe they find those who they're looking for and pull them aside. LY is a higher profile target, they have higher security measures, maybe some are redundant. Just go with it and know that once past it, you're safer for it.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXBA

They're watching your reaction, trying to measure your behaviour. Seems like you give off vibes that make them want to ask you more questions!

I worked for LY for a while, years ago now, and they took me on a fam-trip with some travel agents. I had cleared an employment background check, I was wearing my LY staff ID, I was with the tour leader, a well known LY employee - and I was still questioned, at CKIN and at the gate. And that's fine. I had nothing to hide, I answered their questions, whatever they were, and they let me pass easily. I was a little surprised I still got 'grilled' but it's okay. That's their job. I was happy knowing they were doing the same to everyone. Maybe it's theatre, maybe they find those who they're looking for and pull them aside. LY is a higher profile target, they have higher security measures, maybe some are redundant. Just go with it and know that once past it, you're safer for it.
I don't buy that. But that is irrelevant. Also you can not say that "they do that to everyone". Next you will tell me that they treat "Israeli" Palestinians the same way they treat Jewish Israelis. The point is that almost no other airliner does that, and that even though if we try to understand their security concerns, why would the non-jewish passengers accept the fact that different people are being treated differently? why would non-jew fly with such a company?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.