Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

The "costs" of flying through Turkey

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold

For those of you who like flying Turkish Air or Pegasus from Israel because of their frequent flights, connection network, and relatively cheap fares, consider this additional "cost" of flying through Turkey. Even a single connecting flight through Turkey could put you on the TSA additional screening "SSSS" list that will make your life very difficult every time you fly to, from, or within the USA.

http://www.seat31b.com/2015/04/how-f...sa-watch-list/

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/08/my-new-tsa-travel-hell/
Old Dec 11, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Originally Posted by nombody
Even a single connecting flight through Turkey could put you on the TSA additional screening "SSSS" list that will make your life very difficult every time you fly to, from, or within the USA.

Anecdotes with no significance - Many people I know and myself, US citizens and Israelis and Visa waiver holders, all of whom have not suffered from this problem. I must have gone through IST 15 times myself, in both directions.

I find that SSSS depends more on where your ticket was purchased (hint not where travel commenced and not in USA), than anything else. Also your travel pattern, and some element of randomness.

As far as Turkey goes - Israeli residents should absolutely support Turkey the country - we want people who disagree with the current Israeli government policy to still support Israel don't we? Then if we disagree with the current Turkish govt policy (as I do) we should still visit/fly/support Turkey as a country.

Last edited by yosithezet; Dec 17, 2015 at 3:22 pm Reason: Fixed markup
Old Dec 11, 2015, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by nombody
For those of you who like flying Turkish Air or Pegasus from Israel because of their frequent flights, connection network, and relatively cheap fares, consider this additional "cost" of flying through Turkey. Even a single connecting flight through Turkey could put you on the TSA additional screening "SSSS" list that will make your life very difficult every time you fly to, from, or within the USA.

http://www.seat31b.com/2015/04/how-f...sa-watch-list/

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/08/my-new-tsa-travel-hell/
Not true in my experience-I have had no major travel issues since visiting Turkey.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I fly from TLV to Europe once a month on either TK or Pegasus and also fly to the USA 4 times a year - usually on other carriers. Never had a problem.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I'd be very surprised if there is any type of policy like that. Seem fishy, especially knowing too many people to count who consistently fly through Turkey and have no issues with TSA
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
I don't think just the Turkey flight does it...if you read, both of these people had one-way / sketchy looking itineraries. That combined with the Turkey did it. I would venture a regular round trip ticket through Turkey should be okay

Originally Posted by sabbasolo
As far as Turkey goes - Israeli residents should absolutely support Turkey the country - we want people who disagree with the current Israeli government policy to still support Israel don't we? Then if we disagree with the current Turkish govt policy (as I do) we should still visit/fly/support Turkey as a country.
huh? not to go off topic but using that logic should people go to Iran too?

Last edited by yosithezet; Dec 17, 2015 at 3:24 pm
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
huh? not to go off topic but using that logic should people go to Iran too?
No because Iranian bars entry for Israeli citizens and Israeli law bars Israeli citizens from traveling to Iran. With that in place, any other conversation is a non-starter.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by joshwex90
No because Iranian bars entry for Israeli citizens and Israeli law bars Israeli citizens from traveling to Iran. With that in place, any other conversation is a non-starter.
So one ought not go where the receiving country bans them, but one should go to a country that espouses hate towards them but hasn't yet placed a ban because they need tourism dollars..... got it - shift the decision to other people.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
So one ought not go where the receiving country bans them, but one should go to a country that espouses hate towards them but hasn't yet placed a ban because they need tourism dollars..... got it - shift the decision to other people.
I'm not getting involved the political aspects of this debate. More than happy to debate that in a different forum.

Simply pointing out that the merits of flying through Turkey and flying to Iran (for an Israeli) are not the same at all
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:26 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Please continue the discussion in OMNI if you'd like. This is the wrong forum for this discussion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.