Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Do I Need the "Security Interview" with no checked luggage (to TLV)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

Flying from EWR, doing express check-in, and have no checked luggage whatsoever.

Can I head straight to security and the gate from there, or do I need the pre-check in security interview?

(I know when departing TLV I can check-in online and head straight to security, right lane, but wondering if it's the same in reverse.)

Thanks and shavua tov everyone!
Old Sep 13, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
You can go straight to TSA security.
At the gate, the "LY Security" will give you the usual third degree. Works this way all the time, especially when people connect from elsewhere to an LY flight and never leave the airside.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Fantastic - thanks!
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by LatusElAl
At the gate, the "LY Security" will give you the usual third degree. Works this way all the time, especially when people connect from elsewhere to an LY flight and never leave the airside.
I've connected to LY flights in the past and never experienced the third degree. In fact, I never had a bad experience with EL AL security; each time they were either polite or they had a neutral attitude; but never rude or hostile as people have reported them to be.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I didn't say anything about hostility or a bad experience.
I said the usual third degree.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:56 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by LatusElAl
I didn't say anything about hostility or a bad experience.
I said the usual third degree.
That term is usually associated with hostility, rudeness, and a negative experience.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by ELY001
That term is usually associated with hostility, rudeness, and a negative experience.
Agree! It is not a term that infers anything positive.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 3:08 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Is this true of any LY flight from anywhere to TLV? I fly with hand luggage only almost all the time and would love it if I could always do my security check at the gate without standing in line with the bag checkers, but don't remember seeing a lot of security folks at the gates. I liked that at ZRH it was all at the gate.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by NYTA
Is this true of any LY flight from anywhere to TLV? I fly with hand luggage only almost all the time and would love it if I could always do my security check at the gate without standing in line with the bag checkers, but don't remember seeing a lot of security folks at the gates. I liked that at ZRH it was all at the gate.
I wasn't everywhere but for sure in:
VIE FRA AMS BRU JFK BKK

I believe that everywhere else if you arrive at the gate they won't send you to the check-in.
You can also do this if you have checked luggage
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Also MAD and BCN.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by NYTA
It's correct for most overseas stations, other than MUC AFAIK (in MUC all the Israelis airlines operate from terminal 1F - a separate terminal away from the rest of the airport, and security is done at checkin, followed by extensive hand-baggage scan).
Old Jun 18, 2015, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
I had it a while ago from KBP too - passed regular security few before flight with only H-Luggage, and by gate Elal rep asks regular security Q's. We actually got called over the microphone "to come to gate to do Bitachon".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.