Programs: LY GL
wierd biz plan on 747

take a look at this.
biz class 747 tlv-jfk in may

Old Feb 19, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Weird indeed
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Looks like they have taken out the last row of First (row 4) and put 6 business class seats in its place (replacing the table in the middle of the cabin). Then renumbered it as row 10.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
wierd biz plan on 747

It looks that it won't be new business class seats, but the same seats with more pitch to allow them to be flat...
Old Feb 19, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Originally Posted by mikebg
Looks like they have taken out the last row of First (row 4) and put 6 business class seats in its place (replacing the table in the middle of the cabin). Then renumbered it as row 10.
Yes, I spoke to someone at EL AL and he said that it was what they are doing.

He said that he heard conflicting reports on whether there would be new First Class seats though I can't imagine them putting in new seats in Business and keeping the current First Class seats as any new lie-flat seat in C would be a upgrade over their current F Class

Then again, I'd never put anything past the wonderful folks at EL AL

Last edited by damaxer91; Feb 19, 2014 at 7:27 pm
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

i didnt post the image of the first class, but it still shows 8 seats. 2 rows or 4 seats.

btw, looked at the LY001 that will depart today after midnight, same weird biz configuration.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by may_east
i didnt post the image of the first class, but it still shows 8 seats. 2 rows or 4 seats.

btw, looked at the LY001 that will depart today after midnight, same weird biz configuration.
It isn't still, there were 12 seats before (3 rows of 4)
Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by may_east
Indeed.

To be honest, it just looks like they are using the back row of F as C, although I'm not sure how exactly they manage that because it's not like they have a curtain they can close between them.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gordo6
It isn't still, there were 12 seats before (3 rows of 4)
oops. sorry. you are right.

some of the 747 still show the old configuration.

row 10 2-3-2
row 11 2-3-2
row 12 2-3-2
row 13 2 -- 2

and with the new config ..
row 10 2-2-2-
row 11 2-3-2
row 12 2-3-2
row 13 2-3-2

so what happened ? row 13 which had only seats at the sides disappeared ?
so they took one row from FIRST ,and 3 rows from BIZ discarding the old 13 row ?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:05 am

Interesting. My flight in a month, shows the new upstairs configuration, BUT my flight in the summer don't. Is it different aircraft or just they have updated maps that far out. It would be very hard to go backwards in seat quality. ( acknowledging the word quality is relative)
Old Feb 24, 2014, 1:30 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
How is this even closely competitive to the 1-1 upper deck configuration on Delta 747 service TLV-JFK?

Am I missing something?

Flew ElAl for the first time yesterday, in Business, TLV-AMS. The best part was the 16:20 departure from TLV. Wasn't particularly impressed with the 737-800; but it's better than KLM Business (in timing, and cabin configuration).
Old Feb 24, 2014, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
How is this even closely competitive to the 1-1 upper deck configuration on Delta 747 service TLV-JFK?

Am I missing something?
You're not missing anything. LY's product (as discussed here endlessly) is considerably inferior to all other carriers on the route regardless of the seat configuration.

Flew ElAl for the first time yesterday, in Business, TLV-AMS. The best part was the 16:20 departure from TLV. Wasn't particularly impressed with the 737-800; but it's better than KLM Business (in timing, and cabin configuration).
The biz product on the 737s is one area where LY are better than some of their competitors on routes where the other airlines are using S/H products, like FRA, AMS, VIE, WAW to name a few.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 5:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by clubman
You're not missing anything. LY's product (as discussed here endlessly) is considerably inferior to all other carriers on the route regardless of the seat configuration.

The biz product on the 737s is one area where LY are better than some of their competitors on routes where the other airlines are using S/H products, like FRA, AMS, VIE, WAW to name a few.
Agree, WRT TLV-AMS-TLV service. Will definitely be flying El Al again in biz.

Now, I know that Delta has some operational issues (vis-a-vis 747s from TLV); but from what I can ascertain it's not like El Al is an amazing "on-time" carrier; so , not to sound stupid... why do people fly El Al on long-haul flights where there is an alternative?

I enjoyed the service TLV-AMS; there was one "weird" situation, but other than that, it was superior to KLM. Catering was definitely superior to KLM. The KLM AM departure from TLV is such a horrible time anyway (well, unless you need to catch a quick connection to DTW or BOS).
Old Feb 24, 2014, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I enjoyed the service TLV-AMS; there was one "weird" situation
Care to elaborate...?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by clubman
Care to elaborate...?
Probably best as a PM. I hate to be overly negative, since it was my first experience with El Al. And, to reiterate, I thought (overall) the flight exceeded my expectations (and was quite an improvement over KLM for this route).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.