Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

How does one redeem for upgrade on LY?

Old Mar 21, 11, 6:22 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV

I've purchased bonus tickets online and on the phone with El Al. But I have an upcoming flight BKK-TLV which has been reverted to the dreaded 767. I'd like to have the option to jump on a guaranteed upgrade just in case I don't change and fly a different day. I recall once asking to use my points at the airport and being asked if I had a voucher. So how do these vouchers work? What is the best way to redeem an upgrade at the airport or as close to departure as possible assuming the Last Minute Upgrade may not clear?
Old Mar 22, 11, 1:07 am

Programs: AA EP, DL DM, FB PL, LY PL, BA Bronze, HH Diamond, PC Royal Ambassador, BW Platinum
Your post is not clear...
You have a BKK -> TLV which is a paid ticket or a bonus ticket?
If its a paid ticket then, depends on your class on
S,Y, M, I, C you can do advanced upgrade which is 700 points and you should
do it few days prior to your flight (can be done i think up to 1 day before the flight) should be around 700 points for you segment)
If you wish an upgrade on the airport (Last Minute) it will be based on availbility and a priority list and will be around 100 points.

You cannot use vouchers at the airport, unless your agent was very bad and issued you an upgrade without putting the voucher number, then you will be asked at the airport for the voucher...

If you are a TPL you can upgrade from any class for 1.5 points (so 1050 points from Q class to C for example).
Old Mar 22, 11, 2:47 am

Programs: LY GL
Originally Posted by ebzed View Post
If its a paid ticket then, depends on your class on
S,Y, M, I, C you can do advanced upgrade which is 700 points and you should
do it few days prior to your flight (can be done i think up to 1 day before the flight) should be around 700 points for you segment)

for advance upgrade it depends on the availability of the upgrade class (R, isnt it ?) . and waiting is not a good idea. 48 hours before the flight elal starts to upgrade people, and the C section becomes full, and less options to upgrade later or at the airport.
Old Mar 22, 11, 3:32 am
Original Poster

A few months ago I arrived at the airport on a paid ticket TLV-HKG where I'd asked my TA to use my points to upgrade me as I didn't want to risk not getting the Last Minute Upgrade. She screwed up and I was unhappy. One of the agents asked if I had a voucher. So it seemed that if I'd had a voucher I could have been upgraded but since I didn't have one I had no chance. In the end C was overbooked anyway.
Old Mar 22, 11, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EP, DL DM, FB PL, LY PL, BA Bronze, HH Diamond, PC Royal Ambassador, BW Platinum
Originally Posted by yosithezet View Post
She screwed up... In the end C was overbooked anyway.
Then she did change something in the ticket, this is why you were asked for the voucher... She did half job...
About overbooked, Its not your problem, I was on S + Upgrade from CDG to TLV, Overbooked, Agreed to move to economy, Got free Business Tickets to europe...

May East, Welcome Back from BKK... 8-)
1st, There are always Downgrades if needed in the airport
2nd, Only above x amount of free seats you will get 48 hours in advance the "last minute" upgrade other wise you will need to wait until last person checked-in, all upgrades/purchases done then the rest goes to "Last Minute".

(Lately i noticed either no SL/GL/PL/TPL fly in economy and being upgraded to business or elal started to minimize amount of upgrade (flying C with many free seats).
Old Mar 22, 11, 9:57 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G

(Lately i noticed either no SL/GL/PL/TPL fly in economy and being upgraded to business or elal started to minimize amount of upgrade (flying C with many free seats).
?
Or maybe they have a cheaper ticket than S....
Old Mar 22, 11, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

I didn't have a voucher so can some explain them? Should I just have some handy just in case?
Old Mar 23, 11, 1:40 am

Then she did change something in the ticket, this is why you were asked for the voucher... She did half job...
About overbooked, Its not your problem, I was on S + Upgrade from CDG to TLV, Overbooked, Agreed to move to economy, Got free Business Tickets to europe...

May East, Welcome Back from BKK... 8-)
1st, There are always Downgrades if needed in the airport
2nd, Only above x amount of free seats you will get 48 hours in advance the "last minute" upgrade other wise you will need to wait until last person checked-in, all upgrades/purchases done then the rest goes to "Last Minute".

Hey, thanks for the greetings !
i managed not only to get back from BKK, but also do a short trip to a Barca game in Barcelona. was on T/V ticket and was upgraded both ways as economy was overbooked and i was the only GL on the flight (no TPL/PL)
Old Mar 23, 11, 1:43 am

btw, the whole voucher thing is going to change soon. no need to issue a voucher seperatly.

http://www.elal.co.il/ELAL/Hebrew/Ma...ets_010910.htm

for people having soon to expire points, this is a good way to extend points validity !
issue a voucher, and do not use it. on 15/5/11 the voucher will be canceled and point re-credited to the account, and it's validity will be the original or the expiration of the voucher whichever is greater !
Old Mar 23, 11, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
As vouchers (that I am aware of) are valid for a year, this seems like a way to extend validity of any points up to May 2012. I wonder if they'll change this before May...

Originally Posted by may_east View Post
btw, the whole voucher thing is going to change soon. no need to issue a voucher seperatly.

http://www.elal.co.il/ELAL/Hebrew/Ma...ets_010910.htm

for people having soon to expire points, this is a good way to extend points validity !
issue a voucher, and do not use it. on 15/5/11 the voucher will be canceled and point re-credited to the account, and it's validity will be the original or the expiration of the voucher whichever is greater !
Old Mar 30, 11, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by may_east View Post
Hey, thanks for the greetings !
i managed not only to get back from BKK, but also do a short trip to a Barca game in Barcelona. was on T/V ticket and was upgraded both ways as economy was overbooked and i was the only GL on the flight (no TPL/PL)
Seeing what is going on the 10 last day on Samui, You were very very lucky!
Good to know you are a football lover, Have few friends like you going specially for such games... Never understood them!

We returned today, unpacking, and preparing (only me) to Vegas...
BKK -> TLV, 2 empty seats on the flight, no upgrades...
Either GL/PL/TPLs dont fly any more, or again, my "feeling" that they try to save on upgrades in order to offer them as OB is starting to be seen more and more.

I have alreadyd discussed with 3 EL-AL CEOs in the past on the fact that if you have an empty seat in business it wont cost anyone to take someone from economy (even GL ok K Class) and put him on business, They will gain a very happy customer - Only Shkedi said he is willing to think about it, but it wont happen tomorrow...
Old Mar 31, 11, 2:30 am

Seeing what is going on the 10 last day on Samui, You were very very lucky!
Good to know you are a football lover, Have few friends like you going specially for such games... Never understood them!

BKK -> TLV, 2 empty seats on the flight, no upgrades...
Either GL/PL/TPLs dont fly any more, or again, my "feeling" that they try to save on upgrades in order to offer them as OB is starting to be seen more and more.

I have alreadyd discussed with 3 EL-AL CEOs in the past on the fact that if you have an empty seat in business it wont cost anyone to take someone from economy (even GL ok K Class) and put him on business, They will gain a very happy customer - Only Shkedi said he is willing to think about it, but it wont happen tomorrow...
seeing what happens in KohSamui, i indid feel lucky !
hope your trip wasn't interupted by the rain !

about upgrading GL on K to biz - it won't cost them, but it will make other people paying full fare to be upset. and maybe more people will decide to take a chance with an upgrade instead of paying for C beforehand.
Old Mar 31, 11, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Glad to see that you are safe and sound. Seemed to disappear over the weekend.
Old Jun 3, 11, 3:11 am

What's the F upgrade class? A?
Old Jun 3, 11, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Yes, and P for full bonus ticket.

Search this Thread