Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Eco-conscious Travel
Reload this Page >

Harbour Air's successful test-flight of a battery-electric seaplane near Vancouver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Harbour Air's successful test-flight of a battery-electric seaplane near Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:26 am
Original Poster

If you aren't familiar, Harbour Air is an airline based near Vancouver, Canada that mainly operates De Havilland Beavers, Otters, and Twin Otters. They have an overall strategy of converting almost all of their fleet to battery-electric over the coming years and recently had a successful test-flight earlier this month.

They are reporting a test-flight configuration useful range of 60 miles (with a 30 minute reserve), enough for about half of their current route network. They see 120 miles (enough for the vast majority of their route network) as easily achievable with currently available commercial batteries, although more testing seems necessary to ensure the stability of the more energy-dense battery chemistries.

Promotional photo of the test-flight from the Harbour Air website

Additional details as well as some promo videos and news coverage:
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/12/23...ica-interview/

Shockingly, the points-bloggers that go nuts for a single plane in a special livery haven't found this to be of much interest... 😉
Old Dec 25, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I heard this on the radio... really cool achievement and proof of concept. Must be VERY weird to fly in a silent, powered aircraft.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Must be VERY weird to fly in a silent, powered aircraft.
That's true.

I suspect a lot of potential seaplane operations are constrained by local environmental concerns over noise and kerosene fumes. Perhaps something like this could open up some locations for operations that are untenable due to local complaints about the noise in addition to the hoped-for favorable operational economics.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA
I live within minutes of their main operations and work even closer, and this is the first I'm hearing of this....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.