Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2008, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Easyjet- Tax Payment required

Hello,
not sure if this is the right thread, anyway
my sister got an email from easyjet:
Important Passenger Information- Tax Payment Required
We are writing to inform you that unfortunately we have had to increase the communal tax (similar to APD, Air Passenger Duty) applicable to all flights departing from all Italian airports, by 2.

This is the result of a change in the decree n.166 of 27/10/2008 approved by the Italian Authorities. Please click here to the Ministry of Finance site where the specific decree is published.

Although easyJet strongly disagrees with this surcharge, we have to collect this amount from our passengers, including those who have booked a flight from Italy prior to this law coming into force. This also, regrettably affects passengers who have already travelled with us. Unfortunately as you will be aware as per our terms and conditions if taxes and charges outside of our control are raised, we are obliged to pass on the cost to you the customer.

To make this payment, please click here . Alternatively, you can log into your 'My easyJet.com' account by clicking here and make your payment there.

Once again we would like to apologise for this situation which unfortunately is beyond easyJet's control and we are looking forward to welcoming you onboard an easyJet flight in the near future.

Kind regards
Customer Experience Team
is that legal? does she have to pay?
even though its only 2, i don't like the idea of getting charged afterwards (her flight was in november i think)
Old Dec 18, 2008, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, it is legal and yes, she has to pay.

When the APD was doubled last time in the UK the increase was much more significant. Some airlines ate the cost and others charged their customers. As it is a tax and not part of the fare they have every right to charge it and to deny boarding if one refuses to pay.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 7:56 am

Thumbs down

The airlines are really caught in the middle on these retroactive taxes, but the morals of countries that impose them are completely in the gutter.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 7:56 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
It sounds as if she has already taken the flight? If so, no way in heck I would pay that retroactively.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 8:35 am

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
It sounds as if she has already taken the flight? If so, no way in heck I would pay that retroactively.
Although I absolutely understand your reaction, you put the problem in somebody elses hand, while YOU are the one who has to pay (according to the T&C you agreed with AND the fact that laws have to be honoured).

Easyjet has no control over this stupid Italian acting, but if she isn't paying, Easyjet has to do this. Italy retroactively put this tax on this ticket, not Easyjet.

And yes, I agree with all of you that this is really stupid.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 9:32 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.51 Beta (Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/1718; U; en))

I wouldn't pay this retroactively. What are they going to do, send the mafia to collect it?
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:06 am

Programs: AA GLD 1MM; US PP; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Wegmans Shoppers Club; ExxonMobil Speedpass
Relevant section:

5.2.Taxes and Charges

Any taxes or charges imposed by Government or other authority, including the operator of an airport, which we are obliged to collect from you or pay in respect of you and your Flight may be payable by you to us in addition to the Fare. At the time you make a reservation you will be advised of the total amount of such taxes and charges not included in the Fare and payable by you. Such taxes and charges imposed on air travel are constantly changing and can be imposed after the date that your reservation has been confirmed. If any such tax or charge is introduced or increased after the reservation was made you will be obliged to pay it prior to departure. Failure to make payment may affect your ability to fly with us. You authorise us to deduct such charges from the credit card or debit card used to make your booking. Similarly, if any such tax or charge due is abolished or reduced before we are obliged to pay it you will be entitled to claim a refund from us.

Full T&C doc here: http://www.easyjet.com/EN/book/conditions.html
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:12 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
The rules say, "obliged to pay prior to departure". What about a retroactive tax?
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:17 am
hmv

I would contact the EU. Because they have that rule that all taxes should be shown when you book your ticket.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:23 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Please continue this discussion in the Budget Travel forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz moderator
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Crazy. I’m glad as a citizen I’m able to vote down taxes.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by joshr
Actually, EasyJet is now threatening to blacklist you from future travel if you do not pay the fee. In the same letter, they even admit that they have no legal right to collect the fee.

If you read section 5.2 of their T&C, their right to collect tax from you ends when you depart.

--
Dear Mr XXX,

Thank you for contacting us.

As you know easyJet does not have the power to persuade you to pay the Italian tax. However it is my duty to inform you that such decision may affect your ability to fly with easyJet in the future.

--
Exactly, EasyJet has no authority to force you to pay them for this. Since few people will pay, I doubt EasyJet will be blacklisting those who don't pay. Scare tactics.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

yes, the flight has already been in the past.
strange tactics at easyjet.
well since she does not have to pay she might not pay.
thanks for all your feedback!^
Old Dec 18, 2008, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Wow...how about a retroactive tax reduction? If I flew in July and the Italian government suddenly decided to become really popular and retroactively abolish a €10 tax, should I be looking forward to a credit on my next credit card statement?
Old Dec 19, 2008, 3:59 am

MEP?

I'm not sure if the OP lives in an EU country.

If so he/she should contact their Member of the European Parliament for confirmation that the Italian government has the legal right to tax retrospectively in this instance.

If the answer is no, then Easyjet should tell the Italian authorities they refuse to collect the tax

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.