Wiki Posts
Search

Return Flight Cancellation - Hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT
Return Flight Cancellation - Hotel?

We're flying Bristol to La Rochelle and back in August, Saturday to Thursday.

I've just had notification that our return flight has been cancelled (outbound still operating) - it looks like the schedule has gone from Saturdays and Thursdays to just Saturdays. Accordingly, as our return flight on Thursday has been cancelled, the earliest we can return on Easyjet is on the Saturday, two days later. There aren't any re-routing options on other airlines given the niche route, so there isn't much choice other than to accept the two day delay or cancel the trip entirely.

Given notification was well in advance of 14 days there's no compensation due - this is fine. However, now that (should the trip go ahead) we have to stay two more nights, are Easyjet liable for the accommodation costs under 261? It seems that Right to Care still applies regardless of 14 days notice - is my understanding of this correct? If it is correct, how is this arranged - will Easyjet arrange a hotel for me through the 'manage disruption' self-service system, or do I book and claim later?

I'm asking here as I know the Easyjet chat feature can be a bit inconsistent - ask five times and get five different answers, etc.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Last edited by lon_flyer; Jun 27, 2022 at 6:08 am Reason: Grammar
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:39 am

Programs: FB Gold, Accor Gold, IHG One Rewards Platinum, SNCF Grand Voyager le club, Hertz 5* Gold,
Have you considered returning through Bordeaux (if they won't cover costs)? There seems to be flights most Thursdays and Fridays.
lon_flyer likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion - we had considered it but we're travelling with kids and luggage so the 3hrs+ on train/taxi/bus would be too much of a slog.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:46 am

This is what it says on their website:

Overnight accommodationIf your flight is cancelled, we can offer you a hotel room for the night, if you need one. Where eligible you can request a room after you’ve transferred onto a new flight on our app or in Manage Bookings.
Personally I think it's rather sharp tactics to only make the options available to you after you've changed the flight but there we are.
lon_flyer likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Under the UK261 Regulation easyJet must cover your necessarily incurred accommodation costs, in addition they must also provide subsistence (food and (non-alcoholic) drinks) for the period of the delay in returning you home.

You can either ask EZY to organise the hotel for you once you have confirmed your return flight, or in default keep your receipts for accommodation and meals and claim this back from EZY on your return.
lon_flyer likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice both . I've changed the flight now using their self-service tool but predictably Manage Bookings makes absolutely no mention of booking a hotel - in fact there's absolutely no mention of 261 at all anymore (except when trying to dig it out through the help pages). I don't like to suggest that they're trying to discourage people from learning too much, but if it looks like a duck...

I can only imagine that a fair proportion of people go through the self-service rebooking having no idea that they're entitled to this right of care, and I suspect Easyjet are probably OK with that. I wasn't exactly sure, hence this thread.

I'll just book the hotel myself (an Ibis - difficult to argue that it's not a reasonable expense) and claim the expenses back afterwards. I've kept a copy of the original booking, the new booking, the cancellation notice, a print out of 'Manage Bookings' showing that there's no hotel request button (in case there's later the suggestion that they should have booked it for me) and a copy of their 261 guidance - just in case there's any argument when claiming and it has to be taken further.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Have finally managed to get through to the web chat. They have confirmed that 261 applies and have told me to book an "economical class" hotel (the agent couldn't elaborate any further!). The agent said to just claim expenses afterwards through the web form.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Keep a copy of the chat. Your Ibis will be no problem. In effect, they don't want you to book the Ritz when you could have booked the Ibis, but your choice is reasonable and coherent and they would be hard pressed to reject it, and in my view, almost certainly won't.
Tobias-UK and lon_flyer like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 8:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by lon_flyer
Have finally managed to get through to the web chat. They have confirmed that 261 applies and have told me to book an "economical class" hotel (the agent couldn't elaborate any further!). The agent said to just claim expenses afterwards through the web form.
Whenever I have been subject to IRROPS requiring an enforced overnight stay I have always added an extra night to whichever hotel I was already staying at. I have always been reimbursed, even from easyJet and Ryanair. As Orbitmic rightly says, they don't want to be paying for the Ritz so if your existing hotel is reasonably priced there should be no issue. If an airlines attempts to put a limit on accommodation, that is not consistent with UK261 and a reasonableness test would be applied by a court/ADR.
orbitmic and lon_flyer like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Just another thanks to those that replied. The claim for hotel and meals was today paid in full by easyJet, no questions asked.
enelym1978 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.