Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > easyJet | easyJet Plus
Reload this Page >

Easyjet: does the gate really "close" 30 minutes before departure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Easyjet: does the gate really "close" 30 minutes before departure?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 1:39 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I wish they would, as it would mean fewer people on my flights! The 35 minute conformance is the best thing BA have done for a long time. Flights generally leave on time - but then get stuck in the usual LHR queue.
Conformance doesn't, presumably, stop the people running across from the bar late. A strict gate closure time OTOH does.

To be fair, I did wonder how long it'd be before a check-in substitute (conformance) came along, if only because if you don't have it you don't know who hasn't turned up. For that reason easyJet banned online check-in during the ash cloud issues - it meant they could operate a rudimentary system of stand-by to move as many people as possible.

Neil
Old Feb 20, 2012, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I walked past an EZY gate at Glasgow last week. The screen said gate closed (or maybe gate closing) but there was no sign of anyone even boarding the plane - just 100 bored looking passengers in a neat line.

I was very happy to keep walking to my BA flight.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
I walked past an EZY gate at Glasgow last week. The screen said gate closed (or maybe gate closing) but there was no sign of anyone even boarding the plane - just 100 bored looking passengers in a neat line.

I was very happy to keep walking to my BA flight.
You can't have those two words in the same statement.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: I am a lowly ant
We arrived at about T-5 for a flight on Easyjet a couple of years ago. Well, I did, my wife got left behind....

The flight was running a little late, and there was no problem, I asked them to wait, and they did.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, my Easyjet LGW experience was a bit odd, but easy. Unlike any other airport I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot of airports), they wouldn't release the gate information until 40 minutes before flight. So you clear security and wait by the big board for your flight information. And when it pops up, they have a sign that says it's a 10 minute walk to that gate. Obviously, this would be a problem if the gate actually closed 30 minutes before flight!

It didn't, but being a fairly brisk walker, I was able to be among the first to line up for boarding. So I got a good seat in the front of the plane with little waiting. I'd say they didn't actually "close" the gate until 5 minutes before departure. So for LGW, I'd say the "30 minute" rule is, by necessity, rubbish.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
I have a 7 am Easyjet flight out of LGW. My boarding pass says the gate closes at 6:30. Is there any chance that will get enforced? I'm actually staying at the airport that night and planned to arrive at the gate at 6:30 (sleep being a good thing) but I'll leave extra time for security (it's not bad at LGW at 6 in the morning, right?) if there's a real chance they won't let me fly if I'm a couple minutes late.

I thought Easyjet was trying to be a "no hassle" low cost airline. This seems like hassle to me.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:20 pm

Unhappy 30 min closure

I found out only to recently that yes they can, being at the gate 25 minutes before departure when they had managed to get them all on already I didn't get on, I asked them to ask if I could get on and he was going to until the other guy said they are taking the steps away, which was true as I could see them, it was game over on that flight for me. It just doesn't seem to be a chance worth taking unless you have loads of money. It's a bit confusing as I was leaving from a small airport which only generally posts the gate 30 mins before departure so theoretically the gate closes as soon as it opens but when the flight is in early they put it up early and if there are not a lot of people on the flight going out they load them up and off they go. Mostly they can't apply it as people are in the queue at the gate waiting to go through but where they can they will which I found out to my cost of an extra £245
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
As it was over 2 years ago, I suspect he/she has worked it out.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 1:00 am

Yes it does

We were offloaded 30 min before departure in Palma- 2 Adults and 2 children- as we’re stuck in the security queue within departures for 40 min at passport control - children were not allowed to use the machines. It was an absolute joke. We arrived at the gate 28 min to departure and we were already offloaded and it was closed up even so we could see the aircraft still there with the bridge attached. I get it that once the bags are off, that’s it. However, they must have looked for bags at minus 45. The security queue was right next to the gate and none of the staff bothered to call if there was anyone for the Gatwick flight. They could not have cared less. When I dispatched at Gatwick years ago, we would leave the bags next to the open hold until minus 10 and then pop them back on in case passengers made it. Finalising the paperwork does not take long. So the moral of the story is, don’t think there’ll be someone at the Gate who might care in any kind of way- most of the staff will think ‘when is my next break’ and they don’t want the hassle. Some staff would make the effort to find you (I always did!) but that’s probably unusual. I would look at the name and nationality, run into the departure lounge and have a quick look. I have found an old lady sitting there, no English, who didn’t have a clue etc- I found most of them.
So basically go to the airport accepting that no one cares and you’ll be alright as the good staff are thinly spread. For me- I will always be at the gate at minus 30 from now on. (And could still be offloaded if the flight is over booked)
fairhsa likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.