Search

"Lock Low and Go" ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2007, 4:49 pm
ET
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, SPG
"Lock Low and Go" ?

What exactly is the "Lock Low and Go" rate? Online it says it guarantees a minimum of an intermediate car --- so why is it less expensive than an intermediate car (and of course less expensive than any larger car). If I need to have a back seat (for 2 carseats), should I *not* be reserving the Lock Low and Go rate for some reason? I don't understand this rate at all.

Also, I was wondering if they are partnered with anyone who gives benefits or discounts, particularly free additional driver (spouse or other). I looked at AAA, Costco and Entertainment.com and they do not have Dollar as one of their car rental partners. I don't usually use Dollar, but they seem to have the lowest rate at Las Vegas airport for a mid-sized car, for just over 2 days (a 2 day + 2-3 hr rental).

Any other caveats for using Dollar?

Thanks.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
"Lock Low and Go" is Dollar's version of what Thrifty calls the "Wild Car" (Dollar and Thrifty are really mostly the same company, similar to Alamo National and Avis Budget). There has been a bit of discussion over on the Thrifty forum about it. Check out these threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=765049

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=703111

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=766246

Lock Low and Go is guaranteed to be at least a midsize car with 5 seats, but a particular make, model, or class is not guaranteed. It will have a back seat, though in the case that it's a convertible, it may only be a two-door vehicle (but it could also be a minivan or an SUV). It's cheaper because you're being flexible with the rental agency and giving up control of the choice of vehicle.

Basically, it's a way for Dollar to get cars that are hard to move (say, convertibles in the wintertime or minivans pretty much all the time) out on rent without doing something crazy like pricing minivans or SUVs as cheaper than compacts and midsizes. (If they did that, 80% of the people would book the larger, cheaper vehicle, which would end up in overselling on those larger cars and then ticking people off when they have to get downgraded from the SUV into a compact. Imagine an airline pricing F cheaper than Y and their computer system not having any capacity controls...). Apparently, it really does help balance out the fleet.

I do not believe there are any organizations that partner with Dollar that allow free additional drivers. I thought there was a AAA discount, but I could be mistaken. Dollar's strategy is usually just to be among the cheapest in town regardless of discounts (other agencies, especially Hertz, tend to have much higher rates but offer pretty substantial partner discounts...which usually still end up being more expensive than Dollar...). That way, they don't have to lose money on unnecessary discounts or pay for partnership privileges.

If you're going to use Dollar, sign up for the free Dollar Express program. You can earn credits towards free rental days and you get express service at the counter (they should have everything pre-written before you even get there).

Only caveat: I think it was posted awhile back here that Dollar LAS can get long lines at night. (Express membership could help with that--most locations have dedicated Express lanes.) Make the forum display older threads or search for Vegas in this thread and see what comes up. I could be mistaken.

Last edited by jackal; Dec 10, 2007 at 2:08 am
Old Dec 11, 2007, 6:24 am
ET
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. The Lock Lo and Go says that it will seat 5 people min --- do convertibles seat 5? My only concern for a convertible is that the car seats won't fit in the back, and of course it is in the winter in Vegas...

The rate is very close to an intermediate car (like $2-$3 difference for the whole rental period). Do you think it would be better to rent an intermediate car or go the Lock Lo and Go? We would actually prefer to get a bigger car like a minivan for the price, just not a sports car/convertible type.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I regularly rent from Dollar in LAS using Lock Low and Go via Dollar Express. My comments:

- Dollar closes Express after midnight, if you are getting in REALLY late, but the lines shouldn't be too bad.
- The later you arrive in the evening, the more likely you will be able to finagle what you want, as long as you're willing to be a bit flexible. For instance, the last two times I've been able to snag a Jeep Patriot as a reasonably gas-efficient SUV, and a Chrysler Pacifica when I needed to haul a bit more but didn't want a minivan (the attendant balked a little bit at the Pacifica, since that's actually a PREMIUM vehicle, but gave one to me, and I tipped him a fiver when he helped me out putting the cover for the cargo area back in place). Minivans shouldn't be a problem.
- AX10 is the AMEX discount- 10% off (as long as you have American Express).
Old Dec 11, 2007, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
The Ford Mustang convertible I had in CLT has a back seat and 5 seatbelts but only two doors. I was alone and didn't try it, but the back seat did seem roomy enough to be useful. Car seats shouldn't be a problem.

I believe the Sebring convertible also has a back seat, but someone posted in the Thrifty forum that it didn't. Regardless, if it doesn't have 5 seats, it won't be given to you as a Wild Car.

If you use the AX10 promo, make sure to pay with an American Express card--otherwise, the discount won't be honored.

Another tip: if you want to negotiate over the car size, tell the rental agent that you'll buy prepaid gas if he gives you the car you want (minivan, Jeep Patriot, etc.). Of course, only buy the prepaid gas if you plan on using most of the tank, but it's a win-win for you (you get gas cheaper than local prices, assuming you use a full tank, and you get the car you want) and for the agent (they get commission on the gas). Or if you usually buy coverages from the rental agency, offer to buy those if the agent gives you a bigger car.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 11:19 pm
ET
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice. Unfortunately, I think most of it doesn't apply in my case as I'm renting in Jan '08 (AX10 expires end of Dec '07 I believe), we're there for a wedding that requires a car to drive to and won't really be traveling anywhere far at all, and I'm arriving at 4:20pm in the afternoon. I really want a 4 door car (2 little kids in car seats in the back), and in fact would prefer a minivan, so we'll try the Loc Low & Go and see. I was thinking if they insist on something I don't want, that I would just go to another car rental agency, but it sounds like they don't have the check-in counters at baggage claim anymore, that you have to take a shuttle to the car rental counter. Is that the case for all LAS car rental agencies, or just Dollar & Thrifty? If that's the case, then I wouldn't be able to just pop over to a competitor. I guess I could double book an intermediate car rental in my name, and the Lock Low and Go in my husband's name..... don't really like to do that, but I guess that would cover either case.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
AX10 just worked for me booking a car for 1/08.

The Dollar desk is in the McCarran Combined Rental Car Facility on Gillespie Road, about a 7 minute shuttle ride from the airport (south of I-215). ALL rental agencies are now co-located there, so if you decide to leave on the spot and use another company, you can.

I would recommend you enrolling in Dollar Express- no fee, gets you in the car considerably faster.

http://www.dollar.com/expressmember/....aspx?Join=yes
Old Dec 12, 2007, 9:36 am
ET
Original Poster

That information is very helpful! Thanks, and I will enroll in Dollar Express.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
AX10 just worked for me booking a car for 1/08.

The Dollar desk is in the McCarran Combined Rental Car Facility on Gillespie Road, about a 7 minute shuttle ride from the airport (south of I-215). ALL rental agencies are now co-located there, so if you decide to leave on the spot and use another company, you can.

I would recommend you enrolling in Dollar Express- no fee, gets you in the car considerably faster.

http://www.dollar.com/expressmember/....aspx?Join=yes
Old Dec 21, 2007, 6:34 pm

Just to continue on this tangent of Dollar Express at LAS...
We got in at 2:30pm on Sunday Dec 16 and the lineup at the regular counter was about 15 or more deep. I was able to cruise down to the Express counter which only had one of two windows occupied. Definitely quickened the process.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 9:06 am

We always use Dollar when we travel to Las Vegas and have never used their Lock and Go program. We always upgrade when we check in by asking the lot attendant for a better car. A $5 or $10 tip also works wonders but most times it's not necessary. We've reserved an intermediate car and upgraded to a Pacifica on our last two trips.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 8:14 am

I booked this a week or so ago for our trip to Phoenix- I checked rates last night at both Dollar and Thrifty- the rate jumped 80 to 90 bucks for the same reservation. Thank goodness I decided to go ahead and make the ressie! I will let you know what kind of vehicle I receive when I get back.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 7:36 am

report lock low and go phx

I got to Phoenix and used dollar express- speedy- Lock low and go- the car of the day was either a midsize or minivan- They were out of minivans. I was given a dodge avenger. It was ok - same as avis's fullsize just not as good of a car. I think it had a 4 cylinder in it because I did get good gas mileage. I thought the car did need a break job though because the car would sometime shudder when you stepped on the break at higher speeds. I also got a discount for using my American Express to pay for it. Considering how much the major car companies wanted this did well for us
Old Dec 19, 2008, 1:14 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
LAS Report

Go to the midsize aisle and select any car that you want
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
Go to the midsize aisle and select any car that you want
So they're lifting a page from the National/Alamo book? And is this only at LAS?
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:27 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
So they're lifting a page from the National/Alamo book? And is this only at LAS?
Midsize aisle was overflowing and it was a manager who did my agreement. Perhaps it made better sense to clear out some Chargers rather than SUVs, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.