Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Dollar | Express Renter Rewards (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

Dollar at SFO--experiences? Also, using Fastlane Upgrade Certs.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2005, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]

Renting from Dollar in SFO in a few weeks because it was the cheapest for the one-way rental (returning to SJC). Anyone have any experiences with the SFO location or should I stay clear?

Also, received two one-class upgrade certs with my Fastlane membership. How effective are these?
Old May 29, 2005, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by slippahs
Renting from Dollar in SFO in a few weeks because it was the cheapest for the one-way rental (returning to SJC). Anyone have any experiences with the SFO location or should I stay clear?

Also, received two one-class upgrade certs with my Fastlane membership. How effective are these?
I rented from Dollar SFO frequently about a year ago while waiting on an insurance payment and never ran into any problems. The lines were always short when I picked up, but as is often the case with the "Fastlane" in this and other locations not any faster than the other lanes (e.g. asking questions that they could have found in the profile). As you may know, the major rental car companies are all in one building to the north of SFO -- you take the AirTrain to get there, not a shuttle bus. I believe the rental counter for Dollar is on the second floor and the cars are on the fourth floor.

I had 50/50 success with the one-class upgrades. They are only good if there are plenty of cars available since it's based on the very subjective "availabilty".

The problem I've ran into with dollar: my FF miles only post about a third of the time, and it's usually not worth the effort to find out why for the small number.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 12:03 am

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
I rented from Dollar @ SFO on a few occasions. I don't use Fastlane and have never used coupons but was satisfied with the rates I got. The lines were not any faster than the Hertz counter @ SFO, and I have rented from them on several other occasions.

I'd rent from both again.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Completed my rental at Dollar at SFO this past weekend and must say that I was very impressed. Quick and easy with the FastLane at SFO. No waiting time at all and I was in my car in less than 10 minutes. They had all the info they wanted and pretty much handed me the keys. Used the upgrade cert and got upgraded from a Compact (didn't realize I had rented a Compact) to a Mid-Size.

Return to SJC was even smoother--though the return agent did solicit a religion pamphlet at me (isn't this against company policy?). Otherwise a smooth rental overall for a first (and perhaps only) time with Dollar. ^
Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:14 pm

good for you. I found myself a couple of years ago when I was still in Hawaii for a business trip to San Fran. it was 630am, no one at the counter. had to wait for him to come out. when I came out, his high pressure technique was quickly a turn off. Wanted gas option, wanted me to get insurance, yada yada. Told him no on everything, and he gave me the "guilty stare" like a father looks at a child caught with his hand in the cookie jar. I snapped at him. Told him "dont look at me that way, do your F!@#$@# job." I wouldnt have acted that way if I wasnt the ONLY person in the line for the past 20 minutes and everyone else from my flight that went to other counters had come and gone.(car rental was now empty except for me, I was the first to arrive before everyone else). Got to my car, there was spilled coke in the back seat (fresh), an old baby diaper in the car (smelly), and scratches on the door and trunk that looked "keyed". No map (asked prince habib the sleepy at least 3 times) and and no more paitence for this. I called dollar immediately and complained, they said they would look into it, meanwhile we will send you a 25 dollar off certificate, yada yada yada.

Upon return, my credit card was billed for almost 1 grand for one week, and they made me fill out a report for the scratches, luckily I told cust service when I complained and it was on my file. GSO, all insurances, and I paid for a Full size, though I was in a compact. My rental agreement showed declined on all of those items. I decided not to handle it there, I would call from the airport and slam them.

pretty soon, I was pissed enoughto whip out my laptop and dial in and write an email. For the next 4 hours I wrote a scathing letter of biblical proprotions about every little thing I found wrong with the car, their service, their attitude, and billing.

3 weeks later, I got a call from a regional director guy who asked me to reiterate what happened. I even faxed him the copy of my rental agreement which showed that I DID NOT take the GSO, nor any coverages. The charges were reversed (actually I had disputed the charges with amex anyway). A free week rental was given to me, and a full survey packet to send directly to him the next time I go to SFO, and when the packet got to him, with my rating of the service there, my rental would be discounted 50% on the back end. Never used it. Ive had enough of dollar. I am glad your experience was noteworthy.

Last edited by ezmonee; Jun 23, 2005 at 11:22 pm
Old Jul 23, 2005, 11:41 pm
CruiseOne2003

Dollar at SFO

My very first positive experience with Dollar's Fastlane program occured at SFO. I needed to rent a car for the weekend, arrived by AirTran from the SFO Terminal. Must have been 20+ people in line. I had signed up that day for the Fastlane service but could not see the Fastlane sign I was told to look for. I really do not like standing in any lines so I went to the garage instead. I was checked in and given the car behind me not more than 10 feet away. I'm hooked on Dollar's Fastlane service! Now if only the O'Farrell st office in the city would have a Fastlane counter doing business with Dollar would be almost perfect. Anyone from Dollar listening?

Old Sep 6, 2005, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Rented from Dollar this afternoon at SFO. There was no line and got out very quickly.
Old May 25, 2006, 10:15 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I dont normally use Dollar but they had rates of 14.99 at this location during a recent trip and Hertz was about 55.99 per day so gave dollar a try. The fastlane lane which is to the left of the regular lane had a paper with my name on it saying to go to the garage to get my car and there is a little box on the 2nd level to get the keys etc...it was quick. They ask if I wanted a convertable and I said the car I booked was fine, he then said it was free if I wanted and so I said the price is right. I had not been a fan of the PT Cruiser before but it was a pretty decent car and we even put the top down one day as it was quite nice. Return was quick as well given that about 8 vans pulled in immediately before us and only one guy working returns but it was still only about 5-10 minutes.

I will use them again at his location.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 9:40 am

Programs: NWA Silver
I have used the SFO Dollar many times and never a problem. This experience includes one-way rentals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.