Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Terrible Dollar Rent-A-Car

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down Terrible Dollar Rent-A-Car

I rented a Chevrolet Suburban SUV on SUNDAY, AUGUST 21, 2011 @ 8:30 AM, at Dollar Rent-A-Car Laguardia Airport. At the time of rental, I clearly expressed my intention of buying Damage waiver Insurance(DWI) for my car, but a dollar staff from the front desk refused to sell me it. He told me it was New York State Law that when renting full size SUV you are not allowed to purchase DWI. He chose "decline" on the rental form for me and made me sign below. When I return the car, a Dollar Shuttle Bus blocked the return entrance, so I backed up and broke the tire on the pike.

When I came back I checked on the internet and there is NOTHING about this "New York State Law" saying you cannot by DWI for fullsize SUV. Now I got a $365 bill for the broken tire.

I called Dollar customer service and they told me they only see my signature on the contract and wouldn't listen to me. However I think the contracted was orally changed by one of their staff at the front desk, he added new term to the contract which was fake. When someone wearing a Dollar T-shirt he represents your company, you cannot say things like" You shouldn't have believed him".
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Your internet skills are somewhat in question:

http://www.dfs.ny.gov/insurance/auto/autorent.htm

I say nothing about backing up into a tire shredder.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
Originally Posted by spuklau
I rented a Chevrolet Suburban SUV on SUNDAY, AUGUST 21, 2011 @ 8:30 AM, at Dollar Rent-A-Car Laguardia Airport. At the time of rental, I clearly expressed my intention of buying Damage waiver Insurance(DWI) for my car, but a dollar staff from the front desk refused to sell me it. He told me it was New York State Law that when renting full size SUV you are not allowed to purchase DWI. He chose "decline" on the rental form for me and made me sign below. When I return the car, a Dollar Shuttle Bus blocked the return entrance, so I backed up and broke the tire on the pike.

When I came back I checked on the internet and there is NOTHING about this "New York State Law" saying you cannot by DWI for fullsize SUV. Now I got a $365 bill for the broken tire.

I called Dollar customer service and they told me they only see my signature on the contract and wouldn't listen to me. However I think the contracted was orally changed by one of their staff at the front desk, he added new term to the contract which was fake. When someone wearing a Dollar T-shirt he represents your company, you cannot say things like" You shouldn't have believed him".

A written contract cannot be changed by any oral representation. First year contract law in any community college. Also a frequent subject on Judge Judy, Judge Mathis etc. The only interpretation allowed is what is written on the paper.

Sorry you did not know that but now you and others have learned
Old Feb 5, 2012, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
Your internet skills are somewhat in question:

http://www.dfs.ny.gov/insurance/auto/autorent.htm
I guess my reading skills are somewhat in question. I don't see anything in the article about being unable to sell/buy CDW/DWI on full size SUVs, can you please clarify?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.