Wiki Posts
Search

flying with epilepsy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2008, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
flying with epilepsy

I found out this summer that I have epilepsy. I'm seizure free since being diagnosed and put on meds.

Just wondering how many other frequent travelers out there have epilepsy and what, if any, precautions they take. (I have a medic alert bracelet with an online id).

Also, when flying, does anyone ever tell the purser? I hesitate about this -- wondering if its better for them to know in case I do have a seizure or to not freak them out.

thoughts....?
Old Jan 25, 2008, 9:40 am

Programs: B6, DL, UA
I don't have official epilepsy but I have had seizures over 10 years ago.

My recommendation would be to make sure you have your Medic Alert bracelet at the very least.

Depending on your seizures, do you know when you are about to have one? If you can tell when your body is about to have a seizure, that would give you some time to alert the person next to you or the flight attendant and wouldn't require telling anyone in advance.

If your seizures occur with no warning, then it depends on how frequent you have seizures. This is what I would do: If you have been seizure free for several months, then I wouldn't alert the crew but just be sure to have your Medic Alert bracelet. If you have seizures more frequently, like more than once a month, then I would notify either the flight attendant or the person next to you depending on which one you might feel more comfortable telling.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 9:49 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Disability Travel Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:38 am

Programs: AS, UA, DL
Unfortunately, I do not have any suggestions for the OP, but once a man on the same plane as me was traveling with a dog. After a little conversation, he told me he had epilepsy and that the dog could sense a minute or two before the man was going to have a seizure and alerted him. This allowed the man to prepare for a seizure and if he was driving he could pull over to safety before the onset. I hadn't heard of this previously and found it interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.