Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Bad back questions regarding travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:13 am
Original Poster

I hurt my back and I do not want to take the chance of reinjuring myself. I know I can get the sky cap ( is that the right term?) to help me get my luggage off the carousel. My issue is I am travelling alone and need to get a rental car. I will need to take a bus shuttle over to the airports car rental area. Will the sky cap hold my luggage for me while I go and get my rental car and then return for my luggage.

I am not sure of where to post this.

Thanks for the help in advance and if you can cure my back - please go ahead!!

Babs
Old Jan 11, 2008, 2:23 pm

Programs: UAGM (former 1P), Hilton Gold (former Diamond), heading for dirt.
I'm not sure we're in the same category of back pain but I can get my bag off a carousel without causing injury. However, I haven't checked a bag for domestic flights in years. Two light bags may be better than one heavy one.
As to your question, you may not have a problem with the rental car. I usually take a shuttle and the driver will grab the bags both on and off. (Sometimes the tips hurt more than the back!)
Rolling luggage is your friend. A backpack seems to be friendlier than a shoulder bag. Pack light. If you have to lift, try to keep the stress off your back by supporting yourself with one hand and lifting with the other. (One hand on the trunk edge and lift with the other so the stress goes across your shoulders and not down your back.)
Keep a three-year supply of ibuprofen. I usually take four at a time and if I know I'm likely to strain my back I take some in advance. Skelaxin seems to work and hydrocodone is sometimes needed. (Both require Rx.) Your doctor may be able to point you to some physical therapy.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Ron!

I am a little concerned about even pulling my luggage, juggling a purse, etc any distance- sometimes on bad days even pushing a grocery cart bothers me. I thought my best option is to use the sky cab guys with a nice tip for the trouble but I dont know if they will hang onto my luggage for me for a good 30-45 minutes for the car rental. And no offense, but you hear so many stories about things dissapearing - since I have technically picked up my luggage is the airline not responsible for my luggage any more?

Physical Therapy has been in the works for sometime. Think we are moving on to trigger point injections. I need some warm SUN!
Old Jan 11, 2008, 3:22 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Disability Travel Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 11, 2008, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Have you thought of shipping your bags to your destination and then home on the return?
Old Jan 11, 2008, 7:09 pm

You don't say where you're going or what rental car agency you're using, but one possibility is to ask the agency to bring the car to you at the terminal - I've found Hertz and Avis both to be very accommodating in this way.

On the return trip, when you drive the car back to the rental car return, tell the attendant that you're hurt and you'd appreciate it if an employee would drive you to the terminal in this car. This way the bags stay in the car until you reach the skycap at the terminal.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:24 am
Original Poster

I am flying into Phoenix on Midwest. My husband will be with me on the return- it is just on the arrival that I have the issue. I am renting from Dollar- some how I dont see them coming to pick me up.

I really cannot afford big dollars to ship my bags.

I really am wondering if using the skycap in this capacity - to hang onto my bags while I go get the rental car is out of their job description. It seems to be the best solution, if I can do that. If I can, how much per bag for a tip is appropriate?

Babs
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by babsjvd
I am renting from Dollar- some how I dont see them coming to pick me up.
You'll never know if you don't ask!

I don't have a good feel for the skycap question since I've never used them.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Get your telephone out and use it.

Originally Posted by babsjvd
I am flying into Phoenix on Midwest. My husband will be with me on the return- it is just on the arrival that I have the issue. I am renting from Dollar- some how I dont see them coming to pick me up.

I really cannot afford big dollars to ship my bags.

I really am wondering if using the skycap in this capacity - to hang onto my bags while I go get the rental car is out of their job description. It seems to be the best solution, if I can do that. If I can, how much per bag for a tip is appropriate?

Babs
Babs, telephone to car return company and the airport to find out what can be done for you. Dollar may come through for you... or not. You need to prepare your way in advance.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Babs, telephone to car return company and the airport to find out what can be done for you. Dollar may come through for you... or not. You need to prepare your way in advance.
I trully thought that the skycap was the way to go. Thank you oldpenny and Katja- I will give them a try and see what is up. Your right - I need to know what I am going to do in advance.

Last edited by babsjvd; Jan 17, 2008 at 7:59 pm Reason: thanks
Old Jan 17, 2008, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

called and Thank you

I called Dollar and they made a note about having a back strain on my reservation. Someone is suppose to meet me to help me with my bags. Thank you for your advice as I would have never have known to call the car rental agency.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

oh yeah, forgot to mention that I am looking forward to the sunshine! and going home for a week. Looks like I am getting out of the midwest just in time for the deep freeze to move in.

Babs

Last edited by babsjvd; Jan 17, 2008 at 8:37 pm
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:04 pm

Thanks for letting us know! Please post after your trip and let us know if it worked out.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm glad the car rental idea worked out for you.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

on top of this I fell on the steps yesterday morning. beat the heck out of the top of my rt foot and big toe joint. Thank goodness it was at the bottom of the steps and not the top. My foot is turning wonderful colors. I went to the doctor last night and just a nice contusion. I cant believe I didnt turn my ankle. At least I could walk today without pain. I am sure it will make for great conversation in my sandals! Heres to hoping for sunshine!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.