Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

use of disabled parking permit away from home?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

use of disabled parking permit away from home?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by smithysteev
So, I'm thinking of having my own parking hang tag made that I can use in conjunction with my own permit that just says, "Please don't ticket or tow me!!" Haha.

My family and I are going on a trip across the eastern states, with DC and New York on the agenda. I just wonder how much a stickler the state and local parking authorities would be on an RV with out of state plates.
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Do you have a permit from a US state? Washington DC recognizes parking permits from all US states, as does New York state.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Also (and I may be stating the obvious), keep in mind that RVs are usually too big for a regular vehicle parking space, so you may not even be able to get the RV into the disabled parking space.
CDTraveler likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by Katja
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Do you have a permit from a US state? Washington DC recognizes parking permits from all US states, as does New York state.
New York city does not. At least not for on-street standing or parking.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: qantas club
I used my Victoria (Australia) tag in the NE USA without any hassles. We didn't have a car in Washington and New York city, though, as it seemed too problematic, and taxi/uber was likely to cost about as much as the hire and parking. The couple of times a parking officer or attendant commented on it, it was only to ask about living in Oz or tell me about their visit there.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Except NYC, the entire U.S. is very lenient in term of allowing persons with disabilities to park even the placard is out of country, as soon as you can prove you are the legitimate holder and follow the local parking rules.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
My mother's UK blue bladge was accepted for parking my car in disabled spaces in Namibia, but not in Angola.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DC may recognize the sticker, but handicapped parking is far from free. It is simply reserved (red-top meters or signs).

Be careful here of generalizations.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:27 pm

I have a disability parking permit here in Sweden. Is there anyway that I can use that in the Us, mainly California?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:34 am

In principle, yes. Here is some information about disabled parking in the US in general, and in California in particular: California
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
maybe I missed it, but parking in California at a metered spot, if you have and are the person assigned the placard, you DO NOT have to feed the meter. I understand this varies from place to place, but not in CAL. That is true IF the placard is issued by CA (I have one, and it say so on the paperwork). I do not have any idea how that would be for out of state users. I believe one can also park in some colors of curb, but that is for more research.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ranles
maybe I missed it, but parking in California at a metered spot, if you have and are the person assigned the placard, you DO NOT have to feed the meter. I understand this varies from place to place, but not in CAL. That is true IF the placard is issued by CA (I have one, and it say so on the paperwork). I do not have any idea how that would be for out of state users. I believe one can also park in some colors of curb, but that is for more research.
But there is a catch - the free parking only applies to only 2 kinds of meters - regular (i.e. no color) and green.

Red and yellow meters are reserved for commercial vehicles for different purposes. Even you have the placard and/or license plate, you are still not allowed to park there. Even your vehicle qualifies, the placard or plate will not waive the parking fee.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 11:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Thank you. I have not seen these colored meters! The key to not feeding the meter is not the modest savings, but being able to get back to the car on the "slow pace" network is not penalized.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.