Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Wheelchair Procedures and/or Etiquette?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wheelchair Procedures and/or Etiquette?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by islandcub1
Regarding not wanting to tip (not being able to afford to tip is a different matter, and I have problem with this):

1. Yes, it's confusing regarding where tipping is expected vs where it would be offensive (or at least not expected). It's part of our responsibility as travellers to find out what the local custom, the same way we would find out whether people drive on the right or left, what the local currency is, what languages we can expect to be able to use, local modesty customs, etc. Of course, these examples are often also ignored, which gives travellers a bad name.

2. In many jurisdictions (including most places in the US) the minimum wage for tipped employees is lower than the minimum wage for other employees. In some places the law says the minimum wage plus tips must equal the regular minimum wage, but in some places it doesn't, and the definition of tipped employee can mean somebody who receives as little as $20/month in tips (a dollar a day for a 5 day work week). http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

Yes, it would be great if we didn't have to tip and all employers paid a living wage. However, this would ultimately come out of consumers' pockets anyway (higher restaurant bills, higher cab fares, higher airport fees on tickets) and currently, the mood of the typical consumer is that they want to pay less, period (look at the popularity of low cost airlines, even when they nickle and dime people for everything other than getting you there in one piece).
1. Expecting tips for this job is wrong anywhere. Period. The job is mandated by law to provide equal access. It has to be done by somebody. The airlines and airports are looking for people who will work for peanuts, and telling them to make it up in tips. As stated several times in this thread already, Why does this give the traveler with disabilities a bad name, rather than the airport or airlines. The airport or airlines are the ones stiffing the pushers. Give them the bad names.

2. Then the airlines and airports have a good racket going. They've managed to hire people at below minimum wage, and re-direct their anger at innocent travelers with disabilities. Why do we let them get away with it? Again, this is a mandated service that the airlines must provide. If they have to charge more to cover the cost then fine, let them do it. Even the low cost carriers have to do it, so I don't see any advantage.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by baglady
Excellent point. My handicap does show currently but in a few months or so, the casts/cruches will be gone and I'll still need a wheelchair when I travel. I'm now told I may never walk normally again. What will that mean? Who knows? But it will probably mean wheelchair assistance for the next several months to a few years. That's okay for me, but people need to not judge and think that just because I don't have something that makes me look less abled, that I am a complete able bodied person.
Totally agree! I have spastic cerebral palsy and can walk slowly for a short distance. My "able bodied" mother always accompanies me. Just because i can walk it doesnt mean that i require less assistance, or that there are other people who need it more than me. My disability only shows when I'm walking. Walking 20 steps at a fast pace is like a marathon for me. And in places like an airport where it can be overwhelming for just about anyone, i sincerely wish for someone to help me and my mom to ease our burden. Or rather be a bit more empathetic towards our situation. Therefore i urge you to not jump to conclusions about people please. As it would only stress us out when we really need your help. I agree that some people can manage on their own, but a majority of people do have some sort of genuine need although it doesnt always show or seem to be that severe
Old Oct 21, 2016, 8:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I have a number of friends with disabilities of various kinds, including my spouse (Alzheimer's disease), ranging from Parkinson's disease to frail elderly to cerebral palsy, and temporary disabilities such as recovery from spinal surgery. I have some mobility impairment myself from health conditions.

When we travel, because of my wife's age (81) and Alzheimer's disease we use a wheelchair in those airports where the trek including check in counter, gates, immigration and customs, etc. is lengthy.

We're able to tip, and the wheelchair attendants in many places have just basic training in meeting the needs of people with disabilities and very low wages (the U.S. Federal minimum wage for tipped workers is just $2.13 per hour, though that is to be comprised of additional pay bringing that to $7.25 hourly. (I'll refrain from discussing pros and cons, because this is not a place for discussing politics and it just is the law; some states meet the Federal standards, others require a bit higher compensation, but airport wheelchair attendants are low pay workers in the USA, period.)

My guideline is to clearly explain our needs to the attendant so there are no unrealistic expectations (she looks healthy, she can do xxx on her own, etc.) or insensitive assumptions. That also helps personalize and establishes a bit of a relationship - just as we can depersonalize a wheelchair attendant because "it's just business" and we need them, they can depersonalize us because they're just doing their job and maybe because depersonalizing people with disabilities means your "shell" remains intact.

The tip will vary from $5.00 for a quick and unremarkable trip to the gate with no waiting (many airport's are insufficiently staffed with wheelchair attendants, particularly during heavy travel periods and aircraft connection "nodes" so they're in high demand and also understandably want to increase their number of tips), to $20 for a meet gate side, transfer down long halls through immigration, waiting for bags, customs, to the terminal, through security and to the next gate (that can certainly take over a half hour and upwards). I might consider more under some circumstances.

I also find wheelchair attendants often know the short cuts and can save one a lot of time. "This is a faster way", "we can use that line with a wheelchair", knowing where the lifts are in an airport I don't frequent or is poorly signed, are examples of time and distance saved thanks to their knowledge.

The bad part for me is that some people with disabilities live on low resources themselves and can not afford to pay frequent high tips. I think explaining this helps the attendant - "I wish I could tip you better, but I'm on a low income too" is certainly not anything shameful; it is merely a statement of fact and conveys good intention.

Safe travels, everyone.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:51 pm

Great discussion, thanks everyone.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by flyingfran
do not think it is a $27/hour type of position, but I am now tipping a minimum of $5. So what is a fair tip?
I know this post is from 2009 but this is great math.
Love it
My mother will tip 5-10$ depending on how helpful
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:47 am

Another point of view. Most foreigners don't just have $1 bills. When they get USD from their home country, they get $20s or $100s, not $1s. I have a case now where my dad suddenly needs wheelchair assistance (totally unforeseeable incident), and my dad feels bad for not tipping because he doesn't have any reasonable bills.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:06 pm

Thumbs down

This individual has convinced me NOT to tip when I was going to. This is an ancient post at this point but it needs to be said.

Originally Posted by zoey13
I do not buy the excuse that these people can not afford to tip. They are traveling on a very expensive flight. Poor people are not world travelers.
That's nice, I don't buy the excuse you can't find a better job or can't organize a union.

Do you think everyone pays for their own ticket? Or can afford another $30+ in tips on a $250 ticket?

I feel a great deal of frustration over this no tip situation. But I can tell you that other wheelchair pushers are feeling outright anger & rage over this. Customer service is suffering. Actually, there is no customer service or even common courtsey. No one wants to take a chair - and why should they? This job is hard work, without a tip, there is no point in it. You make the same money doing nothing. Why would anyone want to take a chair? And if your unlucky enough to get a chair, why would you do anything but the bare minimum? Again, this is not volunteer work.
Do your job or quit. Definitely not getting tipped anything by me unless there is real service beyond what is required. Mumbling, sighing about a bathroom stop - that kind of thing shouldn't just deny a tip, you should get fired on the spot.

If you know that a tip is the social norm and you chose not to tip, you are telling the person that is providing a service, to you, that you do not appreciated them or the work they do. We get your message loud & clear.
Why is it a social norm? The airlines/airports are required to provide this service. To disabled people. Who may be broke. I did not grow up hearing or thinking "make sure you tip the airport guy".

But you don't seem to get the big picture. Don't you understand that your behavior is negatively affecting a service that you need. Wheelchair pushers are not happy workers and it is because of not being tipped. You can put the blame anywhere you want, the bottom line is...we are putting the blame on the people who are not tipping.
And whatever feelings you have about our behavior is exactly how we feel about not being tipped. It is now a catch 22. You wont tip because were rude. And wheelchair pushers wont be nice because we are mad that we don't get tips. How to fix this problem? TIP US! Our attitude will change dramatically...and we will pay it forward.
Look at it this way: The company we work for pays us to push your chair, that's it. Anything else (lifting bags, filing out forms, conversation) is extra & you should pay for that.
Well, OBVIOUSLY you are getting ZERO tip if you are not polite. It's a service job. And it won't affect my service at all, since they won't know I'm not going to tip until I don't.

I don't even have the change to tip tomorrow, why should I pay for a ride to the bank on top of other travel expenses? Oh that's right, I shouldn't, I'm the disabled one. Take your able self down to the employment office and find a job you like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.