Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Terror restrictions and wheelchairs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MP

At least in the UK, for now, you can forget about gate-checking your wheelchair. I can imagine this being a huge problem for somme of us. Airport chairs are not adequate for more than very short periods of time. Would you trust your $3000, or higher, chair to the airlines check in desk? Looks like I would be unable to travel in this situation. How about you?

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...ut_612280.hcsp

"Pushchairs and walking aids must be x-ray screened, and only airport-provided wheelchairs may pass through the screening point."
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:24 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat, Hyatt Dia, HHonors Dia, PC Plat
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
At least in the UK, for now, you can forget about gate-checking your wheelchair. I can imagine this being a huge problem for somme of us. Airport chairs are not adequate for more than very short periods of time. Would you trust your $3000, or higher, chair to the airlines check in desk? Looks like I would be unable to travel in this situation. How about you?

Yes, I absolutely agree with you. This makes traveling quite difficult, if not nearly impossible.

I really hope that standard procedures are restored as soon as possible. Any up-to-the minute experience with airports in other countries?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 1:44 pm

I'm feeling apprehensive about it, too. My next international trip is Sept 4th, I plan to try to do deep breathing and relax about it until it's a little nearer. No telling what will change between now and then.

ETA: and here I was thinking about dehydrating myself to avoid restroom trips....

Last edited by Katja; Aug 10, 2006 at 4:05 pm
Old Aug 14, 2006, 7:02 am

Programs: UA, EI, KLM/AF
Does anyone know if these restrictions have been eased as of today? Seems they have eased up on some of the other problems. I, for one, would find it absolutely intolerable to be in an airport wheelchair - have done it in the past and won't do it again (CDG used to insist on it so I stopped flying Air France long haul as a result). Especially when you have to be at the airport 2 hours early to get through security!

Is it only Heathrow or or all other ariports/airlines doing it too?

I have not flown for a whole 6 weeks now (!), but expect to start again early in September.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Click on the link above and you will see it has been changed. It now says:

Pushchairs and walking aids are permitted but must be x-ray screened. Wheelchairs are permitted but must be thoroughly searched.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA, EI, KLM/AF
Thanks for the reply. YOur link did not come through but I found the same info through the Washington Post at http://www.dft.gov.uk

Looks like it might be getting easier.

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
Click on the link above and you will see it has been changed. It now says:
Old Aug 15, 2006, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mudd
Looks like it might be getting easier.
Easier than a couple of days ago, but in reality it's just a return to what it was before then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.