Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Hotel television captioning - strange dichotomy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2005, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

I am a frequent traveler and I am hearing. Ocassionally, when my wife (who is deaf) travels with me, we will stay in our room and watch one of the pay-per-play movies. We try and watch the first-run movies. Some hotels have these movies captioned; some don't. Now since we're typically trying to watch movies that are still in the theatres, and if all of these hotels have to get the films from the movie studios at some point, couldn't they be captioned before they're put into the hotels?

Why is there such disparity between hotels when it comes to the captioned movies?
Old Mar 31, 2005, 7:52 pm

Programs: United MP
I wish I knew the answer, but on another thread someone mentioned that movies arem't captioned immediately upon release. The captions are added in later. That was what that poster said.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It has to do with the manner in which the hotel stores and presents the movies. Some use good old VCR's in a rack, others have them stored digitally. Not all hotel PPV systems support it, plus some cable networks don't let the captioning information pass through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.