Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Reciprocal Recognition of Parking Badges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reciprocal Recognition of Parking Badges

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2005, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Feebster
Don't count on it being adhered to. We were given a ticket at Laguna Beach even though my Australian permit was visible.

We got out of it by faxing them proof of ID. But how many others will pay the fine, just because it is easier. And this is probably what they are counting on.

Why even respond? You think a sheriff is going to come knocking on your door in Australia??
Old Feb 26, 2005, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Add Switzerland to the list

A number of years ago, my father visited me here in Switzerland, we went to the local Driving Licence Office and asked. They said that his "badge" was valid and I asked for the name of the person who i should contact if we had any problems..

They were so helpful.

SB
Old Sep 17, 2007, 9:42 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by mat123
Why even respond? You think a sheriff is going to come knocking on your door in Australia??
Rental cars = unfortuante charges and fees.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Katja
Most, if not all, states have some sort of agreement of reciprocity with all the other states in the union. There are exceptions (New York City).

I generally operate under the assumption that my Colorado permit is valid anywhere in the US, but if you want to be sure, you should check with the state to which you are going. Here, for example, is the Florida statute: http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/dmv/disabled_pkg.html (last paragraph).

To clarify the NYC exception:

You can absolutely use your state hang tag (or handicapped plates) to park in handicapped spots in off-street parking facilities in all 5 boroughs (counties). So, if you have a tag from Colorado and visit NYC and make a trip to the mall, you can use your tag. You cannot use it to park in any normally restricted on street parking such as metered parking without a coin, diplomat spots(my personal favorite to park in using my placard), press spots, etc. For that you need a NYC parking placard. If you live outside the 5 boroughs and want a NYC placard, you must attend school or work full time within the 5 boroughs in order to be eligible for one. I live in Nassau county, outside the 5 boroughs, but I work in Manhattan so I am eligible for one.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:28 am

Parking warning?

Hi all...newcomer. Katja, thanks for the url about Florida reciprocity. At the very bottom, after the reciprocity statement, there is this warning:

WARNING: FLORIDA DRIVER LICENSE OR FLORIDA IDENTIFICATION CARD IS REQUIRED WHEN THIS PARKING PERMIT IS IN USE.

Does this mean that a visitor must have FL licence to use an out-of-state hadicapped parking placard and license?? Will my Michigan placard open me up to a possible ticket? I'm not planning to move to Florida, just visit. Thanks for any clarification anyone may have...
Old Apr 25, 2009, 7:47 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by a2jimw
Hi all...newcomer. Katja, thanks for the url about Florida reciprocity. At the very bottom, after the reciprocity statement, there is this warning:

WARNING: FLORIDA DRIVER LICENSE OR FLORIDA IDENTIFICATION CARD IS REQUIRED WHEN THIS PARKING PERMIT IS IN USE.

Does this mean that a visitor must have FL licence to use an out-of-state hadicapped parking placard and license?? Will my Michigan placard open me up to a possible ticket? I'm not planning to move to Florida, just visit. Thanks for any clarification anyone may have...
Many states issue the placard with some kind of proof that you must carry with you when using it. For example, Maryland issues a card ccertifying that I am the person who can use that placard. No one else can use it. If the police ask to see it, and you don't have it, they will issue a ticket. Florida probably has a note or some other thing added to DL or ID cards that does the same thing. Your Michigan placard is good in all 50 states and probably territories. If Michigan has a card or other way of proving that you are the person it is issued to, then bring it when visiting Florida or anywhere else.

Even though it is recognized everywhere there are different rules about where it is valid and whether it is free parking or not. For example, in Washington DC you still have to pay at parking meters.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Katja
I figure it's probably honored more in the breach.
Over the years, we've had mixed success. The only close shave was in Cologne, but thankfully we came upon the ticket inspector as he was issuing a fine, and seeing the wheelchair they relented.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.