Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Africa made accessible to the disabled traveler

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2004, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club

Posted today on MSNBC's Travel Deals blog
When your mobility is impaired, any kind of travel can become a monumental undertaking, especially if you want to do something remotely adventurous. Enter a company called Epic Enabled, which conducts exciting overland trips for disabled travelers it calls “interactive participation tours.” There are a handful of organizations that appeal to this specialized niche, each with their own separate focus. Epic Enabled spotlights Africa in particular (it's actually based in South Africa), and has a sale at the moment that takes the wheelchair-bound into the wilds.

Book by Jun. 12 and travelers with disabilities can take advantage of its eight-day expedition that begins in Johannesburg and goes to Kruger National Park for a three-day safari, followed by a visit to a private game preserve, Blyde River Canyon, and a stay in the highland village of Dullstroom for $880. There’s only one departure date for this low offer: Aug. 12.

The journey bundles airport transfers, ground transportation in a massive Mercedes Benz truck with hydraulic lift and extra-comfortable seats through South Africa, accommodations in the city and in generously sized tents on the plains, three meals per day (be prepared to try some local dishes!), all entrance and admission fees, as well as a specially trained driver and guide, both of whom are very knowledgeable about the local landscape and culture and trained in supporting disabled travelers.

All airfare must be booked separately, however. Travelers should expect to pay upwards of $1,000 for airfare this time of year. We found a round-trip ticket on Northwest Airlines for $1,200 (the best fare we could locate), but we’d also recommend checking in regularly with Spanish carrier Iberia Airlines, which is making in-roads into the African air market.

One final note, all travelers must be in excellent physical health and come with a note saying as much from their doctors. The only health risk posed is malaria, a disease that can affect anyone.
Old May 18, 2004, 4:08 pm

I love that last paragraph-

"One final note, all travelers must be in excellent physical health and come with a note saying as much from their doctors. The only health risk posed is malaria, a disease that can affect anyone."

That'll knock out a goodly few of the disabled!

I thought at first that this might be a handy tour - alas!

Tony Bailey
Old May 19, 2004, 11:45 am

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
Originally Posted by Tonymercury
I love that last paragraph-

"One final note, all travelers must be in excellent physical health and come with a note saying as much from their doctors. The only health risk posed is malaria, a disease that can affect anyone."

That'll knock out a goodly few of the disabled!

I thought at first that this might be a handy tour - alas!

Tony Bailey
Disability can be acommodated in the bush, disease cannot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.