Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CPAP Battery Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2022, 11:29 am
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
CPAP Battery Dilemma

For those of you who have traveled for some time with CPAPs (I have been doing it for about 8 years now), I assume you have come up on the same inconsistencies re: batteries I have. Does anyone know how to resolve this?
I have had multiple times where, in order to get pre-authorized to use the CPAP on an overnight flight, I call the appropriate department within the airline. Sometimes, they authorize it, but advise me that I must bring a battery to use it. Other times, they just authorize me.
In two instances (once at AA in Madrid, once in London), I was given all kinds of problems about bringing my CPAP on board with a battery to use. They worried about the battery, in which case I offer to use it without the battery,. In the instance in Madrid, they held up my checkin for an hour and a half while they decided whether I could take the CPAP on board. Sometimes, they say it's a problem "because it's an oxygen machine." I explain that it only blows air, not oxygen, but they often don't appreciate the difference.
On my most recent Iberia flight in business class, I was told not to take the battery on board, but to pack it in my shipped baggage. Then, while using the CPAP, a flight attendant came up to me and told me that I could not use it without a battery. I explained to her that I had a battery, but was told not to bring it on board. Ultimately, the purser came up to me and told me that the reason for the battery requirement was that, if the machine was plugged into the plane's power directly, it could overheat while I was asleep. But he told me that he would watch me and make sure that there was no problem, so I was allowed to use the machine.

Have you guys every run into these kinds of problems/inconsistencies? Have they been resolved? If so, how?
rebetxx likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, AA, Worldperks, Asiamiles, BA Miles
I didn't ask and no one questioned. I have a AirMini which is very compact and hooked it to the airplane's AC power. I did bring a battery that was within the maximum allowed for Li batteries as a backup. We were required to mask up during the flight and I only use nasal pillows and I wore Sony 1000XM3 noise cancelling headphones so one probably didn't notice the CPAP headgear on me. I did segments on Emirates, Air Canada and Westjet without being questioned.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 11:59 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA,UA,DL,BA,HH,*W,BW
SO uses a CPAP. We have used them with a battery on ANA, Cathay, KLM, Delta, and Emirates. The only airline that we could plug into aircraft power was on an ANA 777 in first class. All the other times the CPAP machine would error as there wasn't enough wattage. Which is why we always carry the batteries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.