Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Uber WAV (Wheelchair service)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2021, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something

Our only car got T-boned over the weekend. My wife has used Uber to go a couple of places during the week. I helped her book it, and yesterday noticed they had a wheelchair service, called Uber WAV. Seems it’s for a ramp or lift service for electric wheelchairs. Has any used this service? I’m extremely mobility challenged these days, and would love to be able to use my electric wheelchair that I bought from Craigslist in July.

I bought a wheelchair carrier for our car, but it’s a bit hard to maneuver up it’s ramp. I bought a hitch that would make the ramp easier to use, but haven’t tried it yet. We were supposed to go on vacation out of town this week before the accident.

I’d love to be able to have an affordable service to the airport, or going nearby for shopping or dining. If I end up walking much, I end up with horrible pain in my legs and lower back for the rest of the day.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I/we use Uber WAV pretty regularly. It works like regular Uber, just scroll down to WAV when you are asked what type of vehicle you want. WAV is not available in all markets.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ysolde
I/we use Uber WAV pretty regularly. It works like regular Uber, just scroll down to WAV when you are asked what type of vehicle you want. WAV is not available in all markets.
It certainly showed as available in my market. I tried to order it a month ago or so, but was just searching for a driver non-stop for 15-20 minutes, and didn’t find one.

I’d love to be able to use this going to/from the airport.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 12:24 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I have had some nice chats with some of the Uber/WAV drivers. They are a separate company and subcontractor of Uber. In San Francisco they have two types of vehicles, one that loads from the rear and another minivan that is a side door ramp. I prefer the rear loading vehicle because jockeying the wheelchair in that interior space to fit into the area of the tie downs is difficult. I was told that in San Francisco they can only take you to the airport. They cannot pick you up from the airport, but suggest you ride BART to the Colma station and they can pick you up from there. That didn't make much sense because I could ride BART all the way into town and then have them pick me up from there just as easily. They are not a 24-hour service and operate from 4:00 am to 1:00 am. You cannot reserve one in advance, but every time I book one, a ride is there within 15-18 minutes. I have also had repeat drivers, since their fleet is small. You can get to know them.

I have also used the Lift/WAV.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pat89339
I have had some nice chats with some of the Uber/WAV drivers. They are a separate company and subcontractor of Uber. In San Francisco they have two types of vehicles, one that loads from the rear and another minivan that is a side door ramp. I prefer the rear loading vehicle because jockeying the wheelchair in that interior space to fit into the area of the tie downs is difficult. I was told that in San Francisco they can only take you to the airport. They cannot pick you up from the airport, but suggest you ride BART to the Colma station and they can pick you up from there. That didn't make much sense because I could ride BART all the way into town and then have them pick me up from there just as easily. They are not a 24-hour service and operate from 4:00 am to 1:00 am. You cannot reserve one in advance, but every time I book one, a ride is there within 15-18 minutes. I have also had repeat drivers, since their fleet is small. You can get to know them.

I have also used the Lift/WAV.
Thanks for the info. I’ve tried 3 times to order Uber WAV in the Phoenix area, but never got a driver.

I’ve seen it in Vegas, but it only said “Local Price”, so I didnt try it. I wish it worked in Phoenix, so I could easily use it for shopping, doctors and such. Yellow Cab offers wheelchair taxi’s here to/from the airport, but it can be hit or miss. I’ve only used the rear ramp type taxis.

I sometimes go to Costco and use their mobility scooters, but it’s uncomfortable for me. Still way better than Walmart, where hardly any of their mobility carts work. The one I finally found when going in for my booster shot, went about 1.5 mph. My local Krogers are hit or miss. One location had 5 scooters, none of which held a charge. I went 100 feet before it went from a full charge to 1 bar. Another location was much better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.