Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Avoiding boarding/exiting by stairs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avoiding boarding/exiting by stairs?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is (almost) always an alternative. But, you have to make this known. Sometimes in advance.

More and more airports are changing to the ramps with switchbacks for all passengers as it is easier and safer and frankly, expedites the process even in good weather.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryw
Same thing holds for LGB (which is also a great choice if you're traveling to the LA area!)
You are absolutely correct! For ALL passengers, if the choice is available, it's always better to fly into BUR or LGB. Which one depends on your final destination in LA.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 5:51 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I've moved this to our Disability Forum, since members who post there may also be interested in the responses.

chgoeditor
co-mod, Info Desk
Old Feb 28, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: United MP
My worst experience was getting carried up the stairs (more like a ladder) at AAL. (and down at the CPH domestic terminal) I was saved from falling by the strong man holding the top of the chair I was in. A woman, who was obviously not as strong, was on the bottom. She slipped l and nearly fell on the steps all the esy to the ground Since I was tightly strapped into a chair, I would have been seriously injured, or killed. We were almost at the top of the steps of the MD-8x aircraft. I vowed never again. I stick to big airports with jetbridges. I get in touch with airlines if there is a chance they might have to carry me. If they say they might, I fly elsewhere and drive, or take the train / bus. Despite my username, I do use a wheelchair for mobility.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: RapidRewards
Correct... Stockholm to Berlin on Norweigian. I guess I'm vain because I would like to avoid requesting special assistance if possible. More importantly, I don't want to cause a delay in boarding and inconvenience FAs and other PAX.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:53 am

Programs: priority club
Originally Posted by A Lyford
Correct... Stockholm to Berlin on Norweigian. I guess I'm vain because I would like to avoid requesting special assistance if possible. More importantly, I don't want to cause a delay in boarding and inconvenience FAs and other PAX.
You should Always request special assistance in advance if there is a chance that you might need it, you will cause far more delay and inconvenience by struggling to board without it or requesting at last moment.
Even if boarding is via ramp/bridge you are much better walking on in pre-boarding, with assistance to help, than to compete in the stampede of general boarding

Last edited by mymsman; Mar 12, 2020 at 6:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.