Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Need a cane now, how does preboarding with United work?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Hello to all,

Apologies if this has been asked and answered elsewhere, but I wasn't able to find a similar thread by searching.

So, due to being a person and living life, I've reached a point where I now need to walk with a cane and I'm a lot slower than I once was. I have been doing so for about 6 or 7 months now, but I'm about to fly for the first time since becoming disabled.

I'll be flying with United (domestic USA travel), and I am wondering if I need to bring any documentation with me to show the gate agent in order to take advantage of pre-boarding? Their website doesn't say much. Do I need a doctor's note? Handicapped placard? Something else? None of the above? I just want to make sure I've got myself covered and that I'm prepared. That said, I'd prefer not to travel with my placard because losing + replacing it would be a pain.

Any advice on how to "properly" preboard with United would be much appreciated. My husband will be with me to help with getting bags into the bin, etc so I'm not anticipating needing additional help or wheelchair aid at this time. Thank you!
Old May 10, 2018, 4:33 am

Programs: priority club
Although you may not feel you need it call United and request special assistance, It can be a long walk to the gates and a wheelchair or buggy is a lot easier and will also get you the pre-boarding and seats near the front of the plane.
Old May 10, 2018, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mymsman
Although you may not feel you need it call United and request special assistance, It can be a long walk to the gates and a wheelchair or buggy is a lot easier and will also get you the pre-boarding and seats near the front of the plane.
Thanks, but I'm still interested to know if I need documentation to pre-board with my cane (and not with wheelchair assistance).
Old May 10, 2018, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by 190dawg
Thanks, but I'm still interested to know if I need documentation to pre-board with my cane (and not with wheelchair assistance).
No, you do not need any documentation.

That said, I pretty much take my placard with me everywhere I travel. In the domestic US, placards from other states are honored (almost) everywhere. Internationally, a placard can be used in a pinch for parking (not necessarily legal, but usually honored) or as a proof of disability in countries where the disabled are expected to have such proof.
Old May 10, 2018, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Katja

That said, I pretty much take my placard with me everywhere I travel. In the domestic US, placards from other states are honored (almost) everywhere. Internationally, a placard can be used in a pinch for parking (not necessarily legal, but usually honored) or as a proof of disability in countries where the disabled are expected to have such proof.
Thank you! Good to know about the placard's use overseas too, I hadn't thought of that.
Old May 10, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Katja

Agreed. My parking placard from Canada is honored without question in the US. I also have a wallet size card (it comes with the placard) that I carry as well.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:14 pm

Thank you! Good to know about the placard's use overseas too, I hadn't thought of that.
A very useful guide on parking regulations for the disabled world wide: Home
JDiver likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Not in my own experience, but....

the airline may not be doing any preboarding on your flights.

travel with the least amount of carry on stuff. Wheelchair assistance is a good idea. Don’t forget to tip the person pushing your wheelchair as they are all on very low salaries.

Your cane will likely taken from you and stored by a flight attendant. I often use a telescoping cane to avoid that. It fits in my small carry on bag.

i have never been asked for any proof of need.

Old May 12, 2018, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
... the airline may not be doing any preboarding on your flights.
If not, we've found that an informal request to the gate agent allows us to preboard. After all, it's in the airline's interest - stops blocking the aisles.
Don’t forget to tip the person pushing your wheelchair as they are all on very low salaries.
... in the same way you tip flight attendants? It may be worth reading through this thread: Wheelchair attendant tipping etiquette
muji likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.