Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Non direct flights with a mobility scooter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:01 am
Original Poster

What happens if your flight is not direct do you pick up the scooter in transit

I am buying a mobility scooter in the UK and bringing it back to Egypt where I live. I have never travelled with a scooter so do not know what the procedure is.

My flight is EgyptAir London-Cairo-Luxor and my baggage will be checked through

Is it normal for the scooter to be checked through too?
Or do I pick it up in Cairo and take it to the departure gate?
I could travel without using it and pack it in a suitcase, is this advisable?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:36 pm

If you pack it in a suitcase, will it meet your airline's weight restrictions? If you don't actually need it yourself, this sounds like the easiest and safest thing to do.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: priority club
It would be normal for airlines to transport a wheelchair or scooter free of charge but if packed it may be considered part of your baggage allowance.

If the scooter is not packed it would be common to check the scooter in at checkin and get it back at baggage claim at your final destination airport using an airport wheelchair to/from the gate though some airlines/airports may allow you to use your scooter all the way to the gate.

It is very important to call the special needs department of your airline to prebook assistance, they may be able to grant you an additional baggage allowance to cover a packed scooter.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Just to let you know the scooter was taken at check in its 4 pieces. I didnt see it again until Luxor. All 4 pieces arrived and it is working
Old Aug 9, 2016, 12:28 pm

Thank you for reporting back! Did you manage all right in Cairo without it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.