Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

best company to book through to guarantee a disabled access room

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Ive been trying to book a holiday but I need a guaranteed adapted room as im a wheelchair user, all these travel places promise to find and and get back to me but I dont always hear back from them.

who are the best you've dealt with please?

thanks

Last edited by Katja; Jun 11, 2015 at 1:49 pm
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Welcome to FlyerTalk

I have found that I always have better results in my bookings when I telephone the hotel myself.

Better prices and a room that suits me.

Be clear when explaining your needs.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:50 pm

Agreed - book online or through an agency if you wish, but follow up with a call directly to the property to make sure that an adapted room is blocked for you.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

I'm pretty much in agreement with oldpenny16 and Katja.

The issues, I think, is an agency, even a reliable agency, is only a commissioned go-between between you and the property. If the property fails to follow through, the agency may have little power to enforce - you have the power of a formalized ADA compliance complaint, as well with whichever local or state entity that may also exist to advocate for people with disabilities.

Booking, following through with the property and further contact a couple or three days before (close enough to your arrival they'll pay attention and keep it current, not so long ago it gets lost in the shuffle) should help.

In some properties there's a meeting or activity in the morning or previous day to look over room assignments. This is when you need them to act on your expressed needs, IMO.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
The issues, I think, is an agency, even a reliable agency, is only a commissioned go-between between you and the property. If the property fails to follow through, the agency may have little power to enforce - you have the power of a formalized ADA compliance complaint, as well with whichever local or state entity that may also exist to advocate for people with disabilities.
Laurawhittz is posting from the UK. Laurawhittz, assuming you're looking for hotel rooms in the the UK, compliance falls under the Equality Act 2010, which unfortunately I'm not very familiar with. But regardless of the controlling legal framework, contacting the property directly and asking very specific questions about the access accommodations is the best way to go.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT

I had a hotel room recently with a huge bathtub. Luxury feature but no use to me. The shower was in the tub. Found out these tubs were a selling point of the hotel. Partly my fault for not being specific about me needs when I booked the room. There always seen to be more questions to ask.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I had a hotel room recently with a huge bathtub. Luxury feature but no use to me. The shower was in the tub. Found out these tubs were a selling point of the hotel. Partly my fault for not being specific about me needs when I booked the room. There always seen to be more questions to ask.
This is my biggest issue. Many hotels in the US seem to understand the "need accessible shower" request, but others do not. Checked into a hotel last weekend where the the check-in agent was stalling us (email received saying the room was ready, but in reality it wasn't) and to kill time he was reading the notes on file. "oh, I see you need an accessible shower ... all our rooms have in-tub showers".

Great. In-tub showers are the stupidest invention ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.