Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

self-appointed handicap police

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

self-appointed handicap police

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by lostinthewash
You can count me amongst the many who take serious issue with the person who preboards, along with their 24 family members, because of a "seemingly convenient" disability. I am someone with an invisible disability, who should be the most forgiving. But I'm not. Even I judge. The 100% able bodied will be more harsh than I.
" There is a reason we refer to the "jetway miracle cure" .. those people who desperately need assistance to get on the plane with pre-boarding, but are able to hussle their a$$es off the plane by themselves upon arrival."

My wife is 100% disabled. It's neurological . She looks fine but she is totally confused. Getting on a plane is much more confusing than getting off. Yes she preboards with me. I carry her carry on luggage. Yes she uses wheelchairs for connections. Yes she can slowly walk by herself on and off the airplane but it takes her far longer to get settled and I need to handle the carry on and have a quick word with the flight attendant about her disability . Yes We move off "in our turn" to connect with the wheel chair transfer service.

sheesh
Old Oct 3, 2015, 8:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by morelegroom
" There is a reason we refer to the "jetway miracle cure" .. those people who desperately need assistance to get on the plane with pre-boarding, but are able to hussle their a$$es off the plane by themselves upon arrival."

My wife is 100% disabled. It's neurological . She looks fine but she is totally confused. Getting on a plane is much more confusing than getting off. Yes she preboards with me. I carry her carry on luggage. Yes she uses wheelchairs for connections. Yes she can slowly walk by herself on and off the airplane but it takes her far longer to get settled and I need to handle the carry on and have a quick word with the flight attendant about her disability . Yes We move off "in our turn" to connect with the wheel chair transfer service.

sheesh
That's a different situation, IMO.

I have seen, and known, those who only use wheelchairs for convenience at airports. They really don't listen to me tell them that's abusive - they feel somehow they're entitled.

And it's tricky with disabilities - some may be visible, some with visible disabilities don't want accommodation (some with artificial limbs or prostheses, various aids, etc.) and many others are invisible. How can a quick look reveal someone has congestive heart disease, COPD, dementia, traumatic brain injury? It can't, of course, but it's sometimes difficult not to want to judge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.