Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Wheelchair for the disabled person?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:47 am
Original Poster

My dad is a disabled person, who uses a wheelchair all the time. I am planning to take him to Toronto, where my brother is staying. What I want to know is that whether he is allowed to take his own wheelchair, which he is most comfortable using or is it necessary to use wheelchair provided by the airport? He prefers to use his own wheelchair. Also, we would like to know about any kind of regulations, when using a wheelchair, if using in airport and flight. We would like a reply as soon as possible as we are planning the trip for next week.

Last edited by Katja; Mar 30, 2015 at 9:13 am
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:18 am

Yes, he can use his own wheelchair.

You don't say where you are flying from, or what airline you are flying. You can check your airline's website for information about flying with a personally owned wheelchair. For example, here is United Airline's info: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...heelchair.aspx

In general, your father will be able to use his own wheelchair to the door of the plane. If he is unable to walk onto the plane, he will be transferred into a small wheeled chair called an aisle chair and taken to his seat.

In flight, if he needs to go to the lavatory, the flight attendants will use the on board wheelchair (very similar to the aisle chair).
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:27 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
And you are going to want to call the airline a week or so before the flight and be very insistent that they ensure that an on-board wheelchair is available on your plane.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:40 am

Programs: priority club
It's not common but at some airports your wheelchair might be taken to baggage claim (but not put on the carousel) rather than being brought to the gate requiring you to use an airport wheelchair.

This could occur if your wheelchair is too heavy to be safely carried up the stairs to the gate.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:16 am

Programs: UA MP Premier Silver (sigh!), Virgin Elevate, HHonors, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold, Does AAA count?
My daughter uses two different wheelchairs. Primarily, a power wheelchair with 2 lead-acid batteries and a removable but bolted in seating system. United has told us we technically could use that on flights but the chair would have to be stowed in the baggage compartment and would have to be routed back from the gate or checked in to baggage (both time consuming and possibly damaging to load easily).

So for most of our flying travels, we use a manual chair which can be broken down into its component parts - Chair frame which folds down and together, foot wells, folding seat system, and detachable headrest. We normally advise United we are coming with that and also request handicapped seating near the front of the aircraft to make entry and exit as easy as possible.

We normally take her directly to the gate and aircraft door if in a jetway, and as she's petite and 80 pounds, I can carry her onto the plane and get her to her seat, usually using the "needs assistance" boarding, or my previous early status. If seated far back, sometimes have used an aisle chair as noted above, but sometimes its just easier to carry her, but not practical for larger children or adults.

Once seated, and belongings brought on and stowed, I go back and disassemble the chair, and baggage crew take the major parts down (frame+wheels, seat+headrest) to stow in baggage compartment. I carry the footwells and keep them with us. As an aside, we also travel with a portable commode (in our case, the Rifton Blue Wave, superseded to a newer model) which is folded down, taped over wheels (can pop off), and encased in a large transparent bag and taped shut, then checked in). Both the commode and wheelchair (gate checked) are carried at no extra charge as long as you advise beforehand that they are for the disabled person, at least on United as of a year or two ago, YMMV, and always wise to check the current policies of your carrier.

If your father has a standard manual chair with the typical leather hammock type seat which folds up, it is easily gate checked as above as well, and the ground/flight crew will assist to board.

After the flight, unless a tight connection, wait till everyone else deplanes, then take your time in getting the wheelchair (it should be up at the gate by then), and get it arranged, then assist the person to their chair. It works well for us, we try not to feel rushed, and avoid slowing down others. As for my daughter, sometimes after a 3-6 hour time (leaving home, airport, flight, airport), she needs to use the potty, and we get the commode and use the airport bathroom. I know, TMI, but same may apply to elderly who may need the restroom before leaving airport.

IMO, always plan extra care time, don't be in a hurry if possible to get out of the airport or pick up the car.

BTW, if your father uses a wheelchair regularly, I heartily recommend looking into a handicapped converted minivan as a transportation vehicle. We use a 2004 Toyota Sienna converted in 2004, and now available through BraunAbility ( https://www.braunability.com/) as well as a few other makers (other platforms include Honda, Chrysler, and others). We use a side fold out ramp, but there are also rear entry which are cheaper but much less space efficient. Our minivan has options to allow a disabled adult to drive, ride as front passenger, or as middle passenger while in their wheelchair. Its not cheap ($20K+ on top of cost of van new), but used versions are frequently available and can be very very useful for the disabled. Plus a whole lot easier than getting in and out of a lower car, then having to fold/break down the chair and stow into the trunk or back seat.

When traveling, I typically request a minivan for ease of use, and in some cities, there are handicapped accessible minivans for rental, but its not always easy to find them, or get them, you must search the web, and sometimes contact mobility companies serving that area to see if there are rentals. In many cases, you may have to go to them to pick them up. YMMV.

Good luck and if you need any more help, let me know.

Bart
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Aside from all the good advice and info you have been given, I would add that one very good thing about traveling to Canada is that airports in Canada tend to have family bathrooms which are fully handicapped accessible. Look for those on arrival, as they make life a lot easier when you are traveling with someone of a different gender who may require a bit of assistance.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by MP Premier
My daughter uses two different wheelchairs. Primarily, a power wheelchair with 2 lead-acid batteries and a removable but bolted in seating system. United has told us we technically could use that on flights but the chair would have to be stowed in the baggage compartment and would have to be routed back from the gate or checked in to baggage (both time consuming and possibly damaging to load easily).

So for most of our flying travels, we use a manual chair which can be broken down into its component parts - Chair frame which folds down and together, foot wells, folding seat system, and detachable headrest. We normally advise United we are coming with that and also request handicapped seating near the front of the aircraft to make entry and exit as easy as possible.

We normally take her directly to the gate and aircraft door if in a jetway, and as she's petite and 80 pounds, I can carry her onto the plane and get her to her seat, usually using the "needs assistance" boarding, or my previous early status. If seated far back, sometimes have used an aisle chair as noted above, but sometimes its just easier to carry her, but not practical for larger children or adults.

Once seated, and belongings brought on and stowed, I go back and disassemble the chair, and baggage crew take the major parts down (frame+wheels, seat+headrest) to stow in baggage compartment. I carry the footwells and keep them with us. As an aside, we also travel with a portable commode (in our case, the Rifton Blue Wave, superseded to a newer model) which is folded down, taped over wheels (can pop off), and encased in a large transparent bag and taped shut, then checked in). Both the commode and wheelchair (gate checked) are carried at no extra charge as long as you advise beforehand that they are for the disabled person, at least on United as of a year or two ago, YMMV, and always wise to check the current policies of your carrier.

If your father has a standard manual chair with the typical leather hammock type seat which folds up, it is easily gate checked as above as well, and the ground/flight crew will assist to board.

After the flight, unless a tight connection, wait till everyone else deplanes, then take your time in getting the wheelchair (it should be up at the gate by then), and get it arranged, then assist the person to their chair. It works well for us, we try not to feel rushed, and avoid slowing down others. As for my daughter, sometimes after a 3-6 hour time (leaving home, airport, flight, airport), she needs to use the potty, and we get the commode and use the airport bathroom. I know, TMI, but same may apply to elderly who may need the restroom before leaving airport.

IMO, always plan extra care time, don't be in a hurry if possible to get out of the airport or pick up the car.

BTW, if your father uses a wheelchair regularly, I heartily recommend looking into a handicapped converted minivan as a transportation vehicle. We use a 2004 Toyota Sienna converted in 2004, and now available through BraunAbility ( https://www.braunability.com/) as well as a few other makers (other platforms include Honda, Chrysler, and others). We use a side fold out ramp, but there are also rear entry which are cheaper but much less space efficient. Our minivan has options to allow a disabled adult to drive, ride as front passenger, or as middle passenger while in their wheelchair. Its not cheap ($20K+ on top of cost of van new), but used versions are frequently available and can be very very useful for the disabled. Plus a whole lot easier than getting in and out of a lower car, then having to fold/break down the chair and stow into the trunk or back seat.

When traveling, I typically request a minivan for ease of use, and in some cities, there are handicapped accessible minivans for rental, but its not always easy to find them, or get them, you must search the web, and sometimes contact mobility companies serving that area to see if there are rentals. In many cases, you may have to go to them to pick them up. YMMV.

Good luck and if you need any more help, let me know.

Bart
Just want to sincerely thank you for your detailed post. My beloved dad was diagnosed with ALS a few weeks ago. He's not yet in a wheelchair but I know that time is right around the corner. There are still lots of thing he wants to see and do, and I'm going to make sure he does/sees those things.

Thank you again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.