Wiki Posts
Search

Cathing Supplies & the TSA?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None - fairly infrequent flier
Cathing Supplies & the TSA?

In a couple of months, I am traveling for the first time since I started self-cathing. I am planning to take my cathing supplies (including some Speedicaths) in my carry-on luggage.

Anyone have experience with the TSA and what they will see when x-raying my luggage? I don't have a problem opening my suitcase and showing the TSA agent what the items are.....I just don't want the TSA agent to open all the sterile catheters to make sure there is nothing illegal inside!

I would pack the cathing supplies in my checked luggage, but I'd be in a world of hurt if the checked bag were lost!! Anyone with experience with this situation?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 2:43 pm

OK, I know they are stories of beyond stupid things done at check points. But this is not one of them. ;-) Seriously, they see them all the time. I have my carry ons opened up most of the times, because the battery charger I loan from the dealer is huge and causes them to need to manually inspect. Taking charger out -> caths visable. Not even a blinking. The times they have fully screened my carry on by emptying it, they did it in such a fashion they moved the caths about but not out. As if overly carefull to "ooh, scary, do not show" in case I might be embarrared or whatever. It takes a lot more for me than that, but nothing but very respectfull about it.

Very few agents would be fooled for a sec by the look of the speedicath (surprises me, but ok) but before ending the word "cath" you would see the lightbulb go on and knowing what they are dealing with. After which I've had them "discretely" move them beneath whatever so they would be out of side while continuing on.

And opening it up? They know enough not to do that "just because". That would warrant very specific signs for such detailed screening. Read; alarms or warning signs already going off that can not be explained away by other checks, logic etc. etc. Never heard of it happening worldwide.

On the practicle side of things; bring along a few more caths than you have your "average daily usage". It varies per person, but sudden change in temperature, humidity etc. can result in needing to cath more or less than you are used to. Same thing with drinking more in flight to prevent dehydration. And you might find yourself cathing once or twice extra on a travel day when timing of flights, connection and whatnot suits that better. A few trips will soon teach you how your body reacts to different changes so you can pack accordingly.

Allthough I always travel with about 2 days worth of extra (case of delay for international flights) + 1 days worth per 7 days away. It takes up very little space or weight, can easily be taken back home and used later if not needed but oh so welcome when I do end up needing more than planned.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None - fairly infrequent flier
Flying wheels

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I've already decided to pack 3-4 extra days worth........just to be safe. I've only been using catheters for a month, but realize there can be great variability in how much I need to cath based upon how much and what I drink. Thank you again!!
Old Jun 17, 2013, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I've been traveling with a weird variety of medical stuff for a long time but more so since a bad leg injury (kept traveling however).

No issues with the TSA at all.

I use a lot of Zip-Loc bags of various sizes to keep things sorted, clean, tidy and also easy to identify.

Enjoy your travels. I do!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.