Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

IFE and subtitles (lack of) - Why?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2011, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA gold

I first encountered using the in-flight entertainment (IFE) system nearly eight years ago, and I acutely remember the distinct lack of English subtitles on British Airways yet if you were able to read French, German, Hindu, Chinese, etc, there's quite a choice of movies to watch.

Fast forward to last month, BA still do not have improved on this. I've tried Qantas, on their new fangled A380s last week and subtitling choices is barely any better unless you are multi-lingual.

Singapore Airlines and Malaysian Airlines both seem to able to provide plenty of choices, so why is it that Western airlines can't seem to do this, even with newly upgraded IFE equipment?

I've complained repeatedly to my regular airline, BA, and not getting very far, so has anyone else have had success with their own airlines or advice on how to up the game?
Old Nov 14, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: United MP
Someone tweeted recently about seeing subtitles of captioning on a recent flight. It was a huge shock! I need to look for that tweet and post the info here.

It was Joel Barrish (sp?) of DeafNation that posted this video. It was DirectTV on a United flight. Would love to see it on more airlines.

Last edited by DeafFlyer; Nov 14, 2011 at 5:51 pm
Old May 28, 2012, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA gold
Going to bring up this slightly old thread up again...

Does any deaf flyer notice any other airlines other than SQ and MH that provide quite a good range of subtitled movies, rather than a token one or two?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.