Community
Wiki Posts
Search

External Fixator Flying

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2011, 2:32 am
Original Poster

External Fixator Flying

I broke my tibia 16 weeks ago and have an external fixator. I am due to fly for 4.5 hours in 14 weeks time and my surgeon is non -committal as to whether the fixator will be removed by then as there is slow or none bone growth. I am unsure whether the airline will let me fly with the fixator- any advice please?
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I believe that you shoud buy the highest class of service you can get on the airplane. I traveled with a badly damaged leg for many flights and can testify that I always felt worse when flying than when on the ground.

Few issues with the TSA as all they had to do was give it a look and they could see it was damaged.

Talk with your physician about medications and tactics.

I also avoided any foods with salt as that made the swelling much worse (and me more miserable).

I carried my own pillow and often used the travel table (I'm a short person ) to help support my leg. You have to get creative.

I carried Zippy bags and either bought ice when past security at the airports or begged some from the FA's. Ask your doc about ice.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Thank you, I am going to telephone the airline tomorrow and will ask them about an upgrade and your reply is really really helpful, it is very worrying as to what to do for the best!
Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my experience the airline will not give you a free upgrade to a higher class of service. You will have to use money and/or miles. It will be worth it for your comfort and safety (you don't want to make your leg worse.)

Although your feelings may be that you want to keep your leg as covered as possible with clothing, I suggest that you let it show. I found when I wore a skirt (I am a woman) rather than trousers that people gave me a lot more space and more time to move along.

Get as much help as you can get with wheelchairs in the airport going and coming from your planes.

I was away from home when injured and had to get home by long flights. It was a learning experience. I could have lived without the lessons but sometimes we don't get choices.

Good luck!
Old Sep 25, 2011, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much and I hope your leg is much better now? I will wear a skirt because as you say it will make people more aware of my injury and will be prepared to pay extra also as I dont think I would be able to fit my leg into the normal seats as the fixator extends for about 7 inches.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt if you can do my trick with the tray table in that situation. You need a lot more space. Pick your airline and air craft very carefully.

Thank you for your kind words. My leg is much stronger and much more useful that had been expected at my age, but it still isn't what it used to be. I'm not complaining.

Still, when I get tired, I really am finished. Over! Fatigue sets in and I am done for the day.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I doubt if you can do my trick with the tray table in that situation. You need a lot more space. Pick your airline and air craft very carefully.

Thank you for your kind words. My leg is much stronger and much more useful that had been expected at my age, but it still isn't what it used to be. I'm not complaining.

Still, when I get tired, I really am finished. Over! Fatigue sets in and I am done for the day.
First, you should understand that you start with your MD to determine what your needs are.
Second, with your needs in hand, talk with the carrier about the specific space you will require. It may or may not be available on the scheduled aircraft (and aircraft change).
Third, be prepared for the carrier's medical staff to want to talk with you and your MD. The carrier may or may not be willing to transport you and may set conditions on your transport. They will err on the side of caution, as should you and note that the carrier may well require a travel companion with specific qualifications because FA's have safety duties and while they may try to be helpful to you, they've got other priorities.
Fourth, as others have noted, make sure you are purchasing the seat you require with complete flexibility. It will be expensive, but you should not count on upgrades because there may be none and the carrier has no reason to treat you differently.
Fifth, TSA and other aspects of departure won't be hard, just allow a lot of time, not for the checkpoint which will likely be easy, but simply because the wheelchair person may be delayed, the gate may be far away and so on, and you clearly aren't in a position to make a run for the gate.

All of this is doable - but it requires planning. Remember, people with major and permanent disabilities travel every day. It's simply that they have the ins and outs down to a science.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I disagree about getting involved with the carrier's medical staff most especially about talking with my own physician.

That is opening a huge can of worms.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I disagree about getting involved with the carrier's medical staff most especially about talking with my own physician.

That is opening a huge can of worms.
It's not a question of choosing to get involved. You have two choices: 1) don't disclose your medically necessary needs to the carrier and suffer the potential medical and other disruptive consequences of not disclosing (including being denied boarding at the gate) OR 2) disclose, be referred to carrier's medical and deal with them.

This isn't meant to be about convenience, but frankly, the carriers' medical staffs are experienced in the special risks associated with high altitude and limited movement (what if you are stuck on the tarmac for 2 hours and there is turbulence aloft so you can't get out of your seat?). If I were in OP's situation I would want to know what's medically recommended and, if a carrier expressed concern about transporting me on a given aircraft, I'd be concerned too.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your help - I have written to my surgeon and he has now replied and I will be going back into hospital so he can look at my tibia under anaesthetic and may remove the fixator and apply a cast or may leave it in depending on how things look at that time and so this may change my situation. The travel agents have asked the airline and apparently they will let me fly if I still have the fixator but I feel I will let the airline staff on board the plane know in case of any delays etc and therefore problems occurring.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like progress!

Originally Posted by lynn1234
Thank you very much for your help - I have written to my surgeon and he has now replied and I will be going back into hospital so he can look at my tibia under anaesthetic and may remove the fixator and apply a cast or may leave it in depending on how things look at that time and so this may change my situation. The travel agents have asked the airline and apparently they will let me fly if I still have the fixator but I feel I will let the airline staff on board the plane know in case of any delays etc and therefore problems occurring.
This is really good news!
Old Mar 14, 2022, 6:06 am

In my experience the airline will not give you a free upgrade to a higher class of service. You will have to use money and/or miles. It will be worth it for your comfort and safety (you don't want to make your leg worse.)

Although your feelings may be that you want to keep your leg as covered as possible with clothing, I suggest that you let it show. I found when I wore a skirt (I am a woman) rather than trousers that people gave me a lot more space and more time to move along.

Get as much help as you can get with wheelchairs in the airport going and coming from your planes.

I was away from home when injured and had to get home by long flights. It was a learning experience. I could have lived without the lessons but sometimes we don't get choices.

Good luck!
I saw your post about flying with your external fixation device. My husband was injured in Thailand and I am trying to determine if he will be able to fly home with the device. If you don’t mind, where were you when you were injured, and how long after the original surgery were you able to fly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.