Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Questions about wheelchair assistance.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2010, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC

Hi, I'll be travelling with a passenger who requires wheelchair assistance for the first time. I'd be grateful for some advice on how this works. On multi-carrier itineraries does the first flight operator arrange assistance to gate of second flight or does the second airline also need to be contacted? Can the passenger disembark the aircraft and meet their assistance at the aircraft door or do they need to wait until all other passengers disembark and the wheelchair assistance comes on board (connection times are tight)? Is it normal to give a tip to the person providing wheelchair assistance? Are passengers requiring wheelchair assistance taken through fast-track security when sectors of their journey are in economy class and if so, would I also be able to accompany them via that route or would I need to catch up with them later at the gate? On arrival at the final destination is wheelchair assistance provided right up to exit of the airport? Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 9:28 am

Can't help you with everything, but

Originally Posted by ScottieFlyer
Hi, I'll be travelling with a passenger who requires wheelchair assistance for the first time. I'd be grateful for some advice on how this works. On multi-carrier itineraries does the first flight operator arrange assistance to gate of second flight or does the second airline also need to be contacted? Can the passenger disembark the aircraft and meet their assistance at the aircraft door or do they need to wait until all other passengers disembark and the wheelchair assistance comes on board (connection times are tight)? Is it normal to give a tip to the person providing wheelchair assistance? Are passengers requiring wheelchair assistance taken through fast-track security when sectors of their journey are in economy class and if so, would I also be able to accompany them via that route or would I need to catch up with them later at the gate? On arrival at the final destination is wheelchair assistance provided right up to exit of the airport? Thanks for your help.
contact each carrier and explain the precise level of assistance required.

I do not know your itinerary/airlines, but often different carriers have slightly different codes (e.g., WCHR may mean "needs wheelchair, can walk short distances"; WCHX may mean "needs wheelchair, can walk on stairs", etc ad infinitum). Be sure you specify with CSR if you need a pusher, meet at gate, transfer, etc. Double-check the PNR yourself prior to departure.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by ScottieFlyer
Hi, I'll be travelling with a passenger who requires wheelchair assistance for the first time. I'd be grateful for some advice on how this works. On multi-carrier itineraries does the first flight operator arrange assistance to gate of second flight or does the second airline also need to be contacted?
I do not know the answer for domestic US flights. In the European airports, that I have been to, the service was provided by either the airport, or by their countries emergency services. In that case, it doesn't matter which airline you are on. In the US I think it is provided by the airline in most cities, but some airports provide it. If the airline is the provider then it matters.

However, you arrange everything with the airlines, not the airport. They will notify the airport if necessary.

Can the passenger disembark the aircraft and meet their assistance at the aircraft door or do they need to wait until all other passengers disembark and the wheelchair assistance comes on board (connection times are tight)?
This answer depends on the level of assistance needed. If the passenger can disembark on their own then they would be met at the door, or at the gate. If assistance is needed to get out of the seat and use an aisle chair to disembark then you wait on the plane until they come. If connecting to the same airline, you can worry less, but if to a different airline then buy tickets with extra connecting time.

Is it normal to give a tip to the person providing wheelchair assistance?
There's a long thread on this very topic, but, yes, it is normal. Some of us don'.t like that, but you can find the other thread if you want to know more.

Are passengers requiring wheelchair assistance taken through fast-track security when sectors of their journey are in economy class and if so, would I also be able to accompany them via that route or would I need to catch up with them later at the gate?
A wheelchair pusher will often jump the line, (and in some cases use the fast-track line) but usually you would enter the line where they tell you while the wheelchair passenger will be taken to the side for a quick inspection. After that you meet them after you have gone through security.

On arrival at the final destination is wheelchair assistance provided right up to exit of the airport?
Usually. Depends on how much assistance is needed.

Thanks for your help.
You're welcome. (if this helped you.)

Last edited by DeafFlyer; Apr 29, 2010 at 9:57 am Reason: assed "However, you arrange..." sentence above.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 2:41 pm

Normally it is considerate for an ambulatory but disabled passenger to wait for everyone else to disembark before leaving the plane, but since you say connection times are tight, enlist the help of a flight attendant or the purser before you land.

The other reason to remain on the plane until the wheelchair assistance has arrived is that the crew are unable (not permitted) to leave the plane while any passengers are still on board - this gives the crew a little extra motivation to make sure a disabled passenger gets the needed assistance.
Old May 1, 2010, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Thanks eveverybody, I have followed your advice and it seems we are all set I have contacted all three airlines concerned and note already from CMT that wheelchair assistance is confirmed. The passenger will be travelling F so would be disembarking the plane first in any case and given they can walk a short distance with no difficulty then I doubt they would impede other passengers. That said, we will liaise with the flight attendants before arrival and abide by their judgment. Since posting I have also realised that because we will have checked baggage then the airline will first prefer to locate and board any straggling passengers than offload baggage so in effect the most comfortable and convenient option might be just to wait onboard until wheelchair assistance arrives. This would prevent any inconvenience caused to others if the passenger disembarked only to find that the wheelchair had not yet arrived at the aircraft door.
Old May 1, 2010, 12:13 pm

I hope you and your friend have a wonderful trip, and that all the arrangements go swimmingly.

Let us know how everything went.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.