Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

News: EasyJet denied boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:45 am
Original Poster

EasyJet continues to hit the news for denying disabled passengers the right to fly.

http://www.shropshirestar.com/2009/1...y-paralympian/
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-23498133/
Old Dec 17, 2009, 2:29 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by Katja
EasyJet continues to hit the news for denying disabled passengers the right to fly.

http://www.shropshirestar.com/2009/1...y-paralympian/
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-23498133/

I can't believe I read the following in that 2nd link:
Disabled man left at Lourdes by easyJet

Apr 29 2009 by Richard Irvine, Liverpool Echo

Travel guidelines

TO travel alone, disabled people must be able to unfasten their seat belt, feed themselves and use the toilet unassisted.

The traveller must also be able to leave their seat and reach an emergency exit and put on an oxygen mask and lifejacket.

Passengers must also understand the safety briefing and any instructions given by the crew in emergency situations.

Under European law, disabled people and other people with reduced mobility have legal rights to assistance when travelling by air.
Those requiirements are way too stringent! It hits not only those with mobility issues, but also those who are Deaf or Blind, or both. We fight for independence only to be told we need a nanny with us. I thought EU law prevented this kind of thing?
Old Dec 19, 2009, 9:14 am

Let's not forget this is EJ we are talking about. One of the airlines known for it's..... disputable way of deciding who gets to board and who doesn't. It was this airline that was one of the biggest reasons the EU has put legislation into place. As usual this sounds like a typical EJ don't-want-any-wheels-aboard denied boarding. If so, as soon as the guy files a report with the EU (which wont be dealt with until after filing with EJ and them not properly addressing it), EJ can bet their horses they will be dealt with. EU does not tend to be very 'nice' about these things.

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
I can't believe I read the following in that 2nd link:

Those requiirements are way too stringent! It hits not only those with mobility issues, but also those who are Deaf or Blind, or both. We fight for independence only to be told we need a nanny with us. I thought EU law prevented this kind of thing?
First off; the EU legislation ONLY covers those with a mobility disability. Those with hearing disabilities would not fail the quoted criteria, as any airline must have their safety information available in writing for each seat. As such, those with a hearing disability will be able to participate in safety briefings and be able to participate unassisted in evac situations.

Those with visability disabilities can follow the instructions by simply listening to the recording and/or afterwards asking an FA some more info if the recording is difficult to understand. Et voilà, they are now able to participate unassisted in an evac situation.

The quoted requirements? Might be me, but I do not find them too stringent. Let's face it, in case of emergencies it tends to be all for themselves if it is life or death. Flying when one can do nothing to assist in their own evac during emergencies isn't only not safe but can become a risk to others travelling. If I'm in an aisle seat and can not get out unassisted, I'm now blocking those in the seats between me and the window. It's pretty basic, something as simple as dropping yourself on the floor and crawl is assisting in ones own evac. While not something we'ld want to do in normal life, I'ld bet a lot of us will very gladly crawl off a plane if it's life or death. Of course it's a different discussion if that will give us any chance as people will climb over others in bad crashes, but it's better than a zero chance and not fitting requirements.

Requiring one to be able to put on an oxygen mask themselves or otherwise make arrangements themselves; fair if you ask me. Same goes for buckling up, using the bathroom -which like the ACAA does not include the trip to and from bathroom- and eating -which again does nog include opening stuff-.

Basically, on these subjects the situation within the EU does not differ from the US and it's ACAA imho. Of course that is just mho, so would love to hear where it does differ if others disagree.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingwheels
The quoted requirements? Might be me, but I do not find them too stringent. Let's face it, in case of emergencies it tends to be all for themselves if it is life or death. Flying when one can do nothing to assist in their own evac during emergencies isn't only not safe but can become a risk to others travelling. If I'm in an aisle seat and can not get out unassisted, I'm now blocking those in the seats between me and the window. It's pretty basic, something as simple as dropping yourself on the floor and crawl is assisting in ones own evac. While not something we'ld want to do in normal life, I'ld bet a lot of us will very gladly crawl off a plane if it's life or death. Of course it's a different discussion if that will give us any chance as people will climb over others in bad crashes, but it's better than a zero chance and not fitting requirements.
Where does this leave us as wheelchair users? Is voluntarily abstaining from flying the moral choice, so that we do not increase the risk to others?
Old Dec 19, 2009, 1:07 pm

First off; the EU legislation ONLY covers those with a mobility disability. Those with hearing disabilities would not fail the quoted criteria, as any airline must have their safety information available in writing for each seat. As such, those with a hearing disability will be able to participate in safety briefings and be able to participate unassisted in evac situations.
They choose their words carefully. Note the bolded part:
Passengers must also understand the safety briefing and any instructions given by the crew in emergency situations.
I've been around too long to believe they will interpret that in my favor, despite the fact that I have made it all of these years just fine.

Those with visability disabilities can follow the instructions by simply listening to the recording and/or afterwards asking an FA some more info if the recording is difficult to understand. Et voilà, they are now able to participate unassisted in an evac situation.
Since people are more aware of what the blind can do, it may not be a problem for them. I don't know enough about them. Deaf and blind however will not benefit from listening to a recording, yet they can also successfully be independent.

Then I guess I have to give up flying then. I'm happy to crawl to the exit ad take my chances, but I bet EJ would not accept that.

Requiring one to be able to put on an oxygen mask themselves or otherwise make arrangements themselves; fair if you ask me.
Maybe I read it wrong, but it is part of the same sentence:

The traveller must also be able to leave their seat and reach an emergency exit and put on an oxygen mask and lifejacket.
I can put them on, but not by leaving my seat to do it.

Same goes for buckling up, using the bathroom -which like the ACAA does not include the trip to and from bathroom-
Never heard of catheters and leg bags? The ACAA does require them to use the onboard chair to get you from seat to bathroom. From there they are on their own.

and eating -which again does nog include opening stuff-.

Basically, on these subjects the situation within the EU does not differ from the US and it's ACAA imho. Of course that is just mho, so would love to hear where it does differ if others disagree.
The EU law does differ from the ACAA. I've reported on my flights in Europe here before. There have been other posts. The main difference is the ACAA emphasizes and allows me to be independent and to go where I want to go. That is not the case in the EU. They have improved things, but they need to go further.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
They choose their words carefully. Note the bolded part:

I've been around too long to believe they will interpret that in my favor, despite the fact that I have made it all of these years just fine.
Seems we've stumbled upon a difference between the EU and the US. The EU has been very clear what the spirit of this legislation is. NO denied service purely on mobility disability as long as safety is not an issue. As such, they have made it clear over and over again what is being understood under 'any instruction given'. As long as the instruction can be provided in such a way the passenger understands, that fits. And yes, that might include braille, personal talking to and/or phamflets. Heck, those without a disability wouldn't even qualify otherwise. Nobody understand each and every word being spoken through the intercom.

Since people are more aware of what the blind can do, it may not be a problem for them. I don't know enough about them. Deaf and blind however will not benefit from listening to a recording, yet they can also successfully be independent.
Yet, how would they be informed about safety procedures without somebody there to use the specific signlanguage for the deafblind? My knowledge about this group isn't detailed details, but the info that does reach me professionally is that this group has a real problem communicating with the outside world as their type of specific signlanguage isn't widely known nor are there other options like writing available that the deaf would benefit from.

Then I guess I have to give up flying then. I'm happy to crawl to the exit ad take my chances, but I bet EJ would not accept that.
Oh normally they would. Heck, most of the times they even except you with wheelchair and all. Yet, they've got a bad rep on this, and rightfully so looking at the 'incidents' in recent past.

Maybe I read it wrong, but it is part of the same sentence:

I can put them on, but not by leaving my seat to do it.
If you ask me, you're reading it wrong. You are reading 'must be able to leave seat and in same movement put on life jacket and oxygen mask'. That is not what is being said, or let me put it carefully; not what is being said according to a EU-member that gave us a recent congres about it. It basically comes down to that you have to be able to leave the seat, end sentence. If need be, you have to be able to put on the life jacket, end sentence. (which can also be done in seat, on the floor, where ever). If need be, you have to be able to put on oxygen mask. This will always be while in/around the seat as it's connected to supply above the seat. As such, and because of it dropping down one could stay seated. Perhaps having to reach.

Never heard of catheters and leg bags? The ACAA does require them to use the onboard chair to get you from seat to bathroom. From there they are on their own.
As an individual with a uronostomy; yeah, think I've heard of them.... somewhere......maybe.....

I think you are misunderstanding what I'm saying. Like the ACAA, the EU legislation states that the costumer must be able to use the bathroom unasssisted. This means any act being done while in that tiny little space we do our privat business in. This does not include the travel from seat to bathroom and vice versa. Depending on ones needs, the help needed for that part has to be provided by the airline.

The EU law does differ from the ACAA. I've reported on my flights in Europe here before. There have been other posts. The main difference is the ACAA emphasizes and allows me to be independent and to go where I want to go. That is not the case in the EU. They have improved things, but they need to go further.
Not to be a pain, but experiences does not always have to equal the EU legislation. First off; the legislation is brand new. Most of it only went into effect on June 1st of last year. Before that; no legislation what so ever. Even with the legislation in place, it doesn't mean it is always followed to the teeth unfortunately. Having said that, EU is being very clear if a complaint is filed with them and found to have a case. They are not 'pretty' so to say, and that's a big thing when one considers the fact that EU normally does not deal with anything related to disabilities but let's individual countries make their own legislation.

I will still stand by my opinion, on THESE quotes criteria, I do not see where EU legislation differs from the ACAA, purely and honestly on these criteria.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:18 pm

I will still stand by my opinion, on THESE quotes criteria, I do not see where EU legislation differs from the ACAA, purely and honestly on these criteria.
On these criteria the difference is minimal. However, if you compare the ACAA to the EU Law (what's its acronym?) I think some differences will become apparent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.