Wiki Posts
Search

Longest Waiting Times for a seat at Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2009, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Longest Waiting Times for a seat at Restaurants

I'm talking about consistently having to wait to get a seat somewhere. Name the restaurant, restaurant chain, and also do share the longest you've waited if you can.

Restaurant Chain: The Cheesecake Factory. Most of the time, my wife and I wait up to 30-45 mins, and we're still waiting. We've given up the majority of time waiting for a table.

Longest: Once waited an hour for a seat at an all you can eat crab shack in Maryland. Worth it since the crabs were jumbo and had plenty of meat.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 8:48 am

Commander's Palace New Orleans. Waited 2 hours WITH a reservation. Never been back.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:00 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I agree on The Cheesecake Factory.... always a wait.

Another one that always surprised me.... Olive Garden. We occasionally will go to one... every 3 months or so.... and it never seems to matter what time we go... 30-45 minute wait.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:28 am

Programs: CO Gold Elite, BA Blue, for the moment - Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club, Marriott etc etc
Longest wait: Bellagio Buffet, Las Vegas, on Sunday morning. I'll never get that 90 minutes back.

If I walk into a restaurant and ask for the wait time and it's anything over 20 minutes I walk.

I went to the Cheesecake Factory in the Houston Galleria with my sister a couple of months ago - walked up to the doors at 10.58am on a Saturday, they seated us immediately (never happened before), and we had a huge mediocre meal. We were walking out the door at 11.50am, the number of people waiting for tables was astronomical.

Moral of this story: be there at opening and you might have a chance.

I've had the same basic thing happen at Grand Lux Cafe across the street.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I have no idea what's normal. I have no patience whatsoever and will not stand in a lobby or outside a restaurant door behind dozens of other would-be diners. I thnk 20 minutes is the longest I've ever waited although I've driven around longer than that looking for a restaurant that didn't appear too busy. I guess I'm okay as long as I'm moving.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
I wouldn't wait for Cheesecake factory, the food (IMO) is mediocre and overpriced. My typical max wait is about 10 minutes before I'll bolt, but normally we dine at off-times to ensure no wait (1 PM for lunch, and 8-9P for dinner)
Old Jun 17, 2009, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I would never wait at any chain unless I had no say in the matter.

Generally, I never wait for my table because I am usually able to use opentable.com or call in a reservation.

For restaurants that do not offer reservations, the longest I've had to wait was about an hour for weekend dimsum at Koi Palace. You SF Bay'ers have heard of this restaurant, foodie or not. Whether it is worth the wait always leads to lengthy and heated discussions.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 6:01 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Avis
Longest 1 hour. But it has been quite some time since I have waited more than 20 minutes.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:50 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
We were at a ChartHouse someplace in Westchester many years ago. Somebody in the group picked that for the event, there were 8 of us. The wait was three hours, which apparently was not out of line for a Sunday evening. I never thought their food was worth it, but with a group it was not horrible.

The funny part? Somebody actually called and had a pizza delivered to them in line while they were waiting. The Dominos car pulls up and the guy starts yelling "Gary, Gary, Sausage and Meatball for Gary?"

Guess he was trying to prove a point.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:44 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Bahama Breeze (I-Drive, Orlando ) shortly after it opened. Probably waited 45 mins to an hour for that one. Now we've got one here in Cleveland, with a lovely view of the interstate. Same deal, always jam packed.

I don't like to wait (especially if I'm taking a group out) so if a restaurant isn't listed on OpenTable, I usually don't bother. It's nice to book a table online only 20 or 30 minutes ahead of time, blow past a waiting crowd and be immediately seated. Kinda like elite status for restaurants

Last edited by paule123; Jun 19, 2009 at 11:52 am
Old Jun 19, 2009, 11:19 am

Yard House in Waikiki, I believe it was a 2 hour wait during the first weeks it opened.

Then again my friends have also told me they waiting 2 hours to get into Cheese Cake factory, definitely not worth it.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 3:05 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by maven808
Then again my friends have also told me they waiting 2 hours to get into Cheese Cake factory, definitely not worth it.
Similar story. I've walked out of my local Cheese Cake Factory and overheard the hostess telling people about a 2.5 hour wait. And this was around 9:00 pm at night. This was around prom time. The Maggiano's around the corner also had about a 2 hour wait.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 4:54 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I have no idea what's normal. I have no patience whatsoever and will not stand in a lobby or outside a restaurant door behind dozens of other would-be diners. I thnk 20 minutes is the longest I've ever waited although I've driven around longer than that looking for a restaurant that didn't appear too busy. I guess I'm okay as long as I'm moving.
+1 I also have no patience. Don't remember the place but last year I did wait over 2 hours at a restaurant in Waynesville,NC after my son graduated from Western Carolina.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by paule123
Bahama Breeze (I-Drive, Orlando ) shortly after it opened. Probably waited 45 mins to an hour for that one. Now we've got one here in Cleveland, with a lovely view of the interstate. Same deal, always jam packed.
I've been to the one in CLE by the interstate. I used to practically live at the Hampton next door. Fortunately all I ever did there was drink, so never a wait. ^
Old Jun 20, 2009, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I've seen waits of 3 hours for Pee Eff Changs. IM(nsh)O, it isn't worth a 15 minute wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.