Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Tired of eating out when on the road

Tired of eating out when on the road

Old Jun 8, 2009, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by camargo
The iron in the closet.
How to cook food in your hotel room.

Mmmm, fried eggs on the iron for breakfast, lemon pepper chicken in the coffee maker for dinner.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:51 am
Suspended

I'm much the same. I often just grab subway. I'm usually working or working out at night.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 1:21 pm

I do all of the above. If there is nothing else I can eat at the chain places, especially Outback or one of those where I can get a decent steak. I have a pretty strict corp budget, so the really good places are out of my price limit. I may eat fast food one evening back at the room to save some money, then go somewhere pretty nice the next night.

I get to the point where I am tired of it, and I feel like dinner is just a meal that I need to get over with so I won't be hungry. Other times I really want something specific and really enjoy eating out. It comes and goes.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 5:09 pm

Programs: United GS 1K, MM; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Plat; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Menace to Sobriety
I do all of the above. If there is nothing else I can eat at the chain places, especially Outback or one of those where I can get a decent steak.

^ Outback has a pretty good steak...and you can get it to-go and bring back to the hotel.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres, Global Entry
Yelp is very useful for new towns when looking for referrals

I have used www.yelp.com many times across the USA to find some unique non-chain restaurants with (for the most part), very candid and accurate reviews..

Cheers,
IrishBoy

PS. Scope is actually beyond food to cover other services.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most definately. The extra grease and MSG that you normally don't put too many in home cooking can wear down my appetite after countless outside dining consecutively.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 11:20 pm

Programs: American express green, Capitol 1 Visa and Discover
Originally Posted by brendog
There is nothing quite so unpleasant as eating alone in a restaurant. I'm never quite sure what to do to occupy myself, so I generally bring my lappy and work until my food comes.

I usually opt for the take-away or delivery route, and grab a 12-pack of beer. Admittedly, I'm getting sick of pizza...
depends do you eat in a local establishment or a chain? if it's like pf chengs or legal seafood the lap top is good. but if you eat at Fridays , houilhans, applebees depending upon the area you might want to ask your server to put on a sporting event.

how do you like traveling on business?
Old Sep 4, 2011, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by chanp
I enjoy eating out. I think there are so many great restaurants out there.
I agree with you.

But for a lot of people , who conduct business in the day, when there customers go home there alone for dinner or traveling every week they tend to get tired of eating out.

how do you like traveling on business?
Old Sep 4, 2011, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by deubster
My work sends me to lots of small towns (30K - 75K). I'm tired of almost all the chains, but I don't mind sitting alone in a restaurant as I usually have my nose buried in a book. I'll research restaurants online as much as possible (not a reliable method for small towns), and will ask for recommendations from clients and hotel staff. Even with these, it's a crapshoot.

But I admit that in lots of towns I'll skip local fare altogether (I defy you to name a decent restaurant in lots of the towns I visit) and stop at the grocery store on the way to the hotel. I tend to get lots of ready-made salads - the kind that are in plastic bowls and contain dressing/crouton packets. In my luggage I always carry a couple of plastic utensil packs from my hometown restaurants.

Room service, when available, is usually worse than the local restaurants.
since your work sends you to small towns do you ever eat out with your business clients? how do you like traveling on business?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 12:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I eat out everyday.. trip or no trip..

So, its an ends that justify the means nowadays..
Old Sep 5, 2011, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Most of my trips are really short. The next one is two days and the one after that is three days.

At home, I usually cook meals, so actually I look forward to eating out while traveling!
Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Most of my trips are really short. The next one is two days and the one after that is three days.

At home, I usually cook meals, so actually I look forward to eating out while traveling!
so Kevin how do you like traveling on business?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: UA, NW
Most large cities have locally owned restaurants of various ethnicities, especially those run by recent immigrants. I avoid chain restaurants unless the people I'm meeting in that city insist on it.

Especially now that I have books loaded on my iPhone, eating along is not a problem. It's a chance to sit back and relax and get some leisure reading done. Even before the smartphone era, I always carried a paperback book, so that I was never bored during down times.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ksandness
Most large cities have locally owned restaurants of various ethnicities, especially those run by recent immigrants. I avoid chain restaurants unless the people I'm meeting in that city insist on it.

Especially now that I have books loaded on my iPhone, eating along is not a problem. It's a chance to sit back and relax and get some leisure reading done. Even before the smartphone era, I always carried a paperback book, so that I was never bored during down times.
Chains provide consistency and meets the expectations of regulars who visit..

I agree, its nice to change it up, and often requires 'looking into it' research, before determining that its a place worth visiting.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by Money card
so Kevin how do you like traveling on business?
I love it! I never get tired of traveling. Ever since I was a kid I've always booked a window seat and marveled at the miracle of flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.