Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Service Included" Restaurants...Tip?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2009, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

"Service Included" Restaurants...Tip?

I have a relatively simple question that will sound foolish to experienced diners: in an upscale restaurant with a prix fixe tasting menu that states "Service Included" on the menu, what do you do when you meal is over? Sign your check and leave? Does anyone leave an additional gratuity, or does the waitstaff not count on receiving tips above and beyond the included amount?

Being an American (where there are tip jars at McDonald's) and being raised by my mother to never leave less than 15% for table service no matter how bad the service is, I would just feel a little awkward being waited on by 5-6 staff for 3+ hours and just signing the check.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by briankoenig
I have a relatively simple question that will sound foolish to experienced diners: in an upscale restaurant with a prix fixe tasting menu that states "Service Included" on the menu, what do you do when you meal is over? Sign your check and leave? Does anyone leave an additional gratuity, or does the waitstaff not count on receiving tips above and beyond the included amount?

Being an American (where there are tip jars at McDonald's) and being raised by my mother to never leave less than 15% for table service no matter how bad the service is, I would just feel a little awkward being waited on by 5-6 staff for 3+ hours and just signing the check.

Thanks in advance.
No tip required, no guilt necessary. End of Story.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 3:22 pm

When we're abroad (France, Italy), at a restaurant that states "service included" (most, if not all, of them) we have come to understand that "service" is basically the waiter's salary and that GRATUITY is NOT included. However, 5% additional is considered a nice "tip". Leave it in cash as there is most likely no where to add it to the chit.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 5:16 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; UA 2P
What do you do about tipping on wine? Is that built in? At French Laundry, we asked the maitre d' and he said that it was taken care of, but I thought they calculated it only as a proportion of the food.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
No tip required, no guilt necessary. End of Story.
That was my hunch, but I wanted to make sure. I think part of my confusion came from reading reviews of the French Laundry that say "meal came to XXX after tax and tip". If I end up dining in one of the best restaurants in the world the last thing I want to do is make an ... of myself.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by briankoenig
I read an article a few months ago (NY Times?) about service-included restaurants, which focused on a place in San Diego. They mentioned that the staff will literally refuse any extra tips that are offered above the service charge. If people offer to add an 'extra' tip on to, the staff says they can't accept the money for themselves, but would be happy to take the money and donate it to charity. The article said the majority of these offers are refused (by people who were perfectly willing to give the money away to the waitperson)! A very interesting look into the psychology of tipping.

In response to your query, if a US-based restaurant says service is included, I'd have zero qualms about leaving no extra tip.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 4:56 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Please, let's not start another round of tipping obligations, because that's exactly what we're going to get if people show a willingness to tip on top "service included."

As for France, please look around at what the locals do. They rarely leave anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.