Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Your top Dim Sum Cart Restaurants around the World!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your top Dim Sum Cart Restaurants around the World!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:05 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Shun Lee Cafe in New York is excellent, not on the level of the Hong Kong staples, but, frankly, almost as enjoyable, which a selection friendlier to this Yank's palate.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:55 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold, BA Silver, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
In NYC, I love Cafe Evergreen on the Upper East Side (69th and 1st)- it used to be called Henry's Evergreen. They have great cart dim sum on weekends. I actually like this better than most places in Chinatown and for dim sum, more than Shun Lee (but if was just going for standard dinner, I would choose Shun Lee).
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These are my favorites where I live:

Toronto
Golden Abalone Court (Richmond Hill)
Diamond Banquet (Markham)
Spring Villa (Markham)

Hong Kong
Lei Garden (Several branches, but best in Shatin New Town Plaza IMO)
Fung Shing (Several branches, but the one in Whampoa near I live is the best IMO)
Super Star Seafood (Several branches, quality more or less the same among the various branches)
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:42 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Having eaten in a few dim sum restaurants in HKG and enjoyed them immensely, the last time we were in HKG for a short visit, stayed at the Peninsula and decided to eat at Spring Moon, the Dim Sum Restaurant at the Pen.
Although, there isn't the clatter of dishes and languages and folks standing behind your chairs, it is a very pleasant way to enjoy Dim Sum, which BTW, was delicious. Is it an authentic HKG experience? No. Yet, if one is tired & staying at the Pen and looking for a quiet (oxymoron) Dim Sum experience, it is a nice way to go. Food was delicious and beautifully presented. One is more likely to be surrounded by locals having serious business lunches, than the usual colorful noise and chatter of the huge Dim Sum palaces. It's just a different experience. All of my Dim Sum experiences in HKG have been wonderful. Spring Moon was the only restaurant which provided both great Dim Sum and a dose of serenity.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:55 am

As well as Hong Kong, i would have to say the best Dim Sum i had was in Malaysia, KL

It was in an upmarket hotel. It was the only DIm Sum buffet i have ever been to. You pay a fixed price, you order what you want and can order and eat as much as you want BUT you pay extra for anything not eaten. This ensures you don't over order. Man i left full as a staypuft marshmellow man ! And they had some really unique dim sum items
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:57 am

I would also have to say that here in Australia we have great DIm SUm as well.

This is because plenty of top chefs from Hong Kong and other asian countries have immigrated to Australia. and secondly because we have access to some of the best quality raw ingredients including the best and freshest seafood which always leads to good quality food
Old Dec 16, 2008, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luxury
London, UK: Not cart service but Yauatcha is fantastic and is mid-priced for London standards. Royal China is Bayswater is quite large, decently priced, with food to match..
Both excellent recommendations. ^ There is also the Royal China Club on Baker Street which is a little more expensive and with a broader selection of non-dim sum options. A favourite of Takshin Shinawatra no less.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 3:05 pm

Fortune in Falls Church VA, near Washington DC
Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:57 am

Programs: AA Plat
Specifically in the SF Bay Area, Koi Palace deserves a mention. Yank Sing, is um, acceptable, but you'll find better options away from downtown SF.

Some places in Vancouver (can't remember the names) deserve a mention too.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:30 pm

Programs: US, UA
Gotta agree with jakuda. When I lived on Telegraph Hill, I'd rather go to Koi Palace instead of [whatever was within arm's reach] in Chinatown-FinancialDistrict-SOMA.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
NBC Seafood in Monterey Park, CA -- they tore down a whole mall around it just to rebuild the mall.... Drool!
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:34 pm

Here are two more from my part of the Bay Area in northern California. Neither of these can compare with Hong Kong, but it's decent dim sum. I have to at least give a shout out to my local places!

Palo Alto, California

Mings (Embarcadero & 101): Typical dim sum, only one story but gets lots of business. They've been around forever in this area, at least 50 years. That's not much by San Francisco standards but it's still pretty impressive. Rumor has it though, that they plan to redevelop their property into a hotel/restaurant. I'm not sure if Mings will be around much longer.

Mountain View, California

Fu Lam Mum Seafood Restaurant (Castro near Caltrain Station): This is relatively new but has the same name as a seafood restaurant that used to be farther up on Castro Street. I believe it's a new owner using the old name. It's rather unique for the area, because it's one of the few 2 story dim sum places on the south end of the peninsula. They offer dim sim at lunch time and on weekends.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 1:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Mmm, sounds like a great study.

I find the ones in NYC pretty bland wrt to others aroudn the world, but the one we go to is Jin Fong in Chinatown. I understand the good ones are to be found in Flushing, but have not found them to be any better. Ping's is also good, though I was told by a colleague that she will not go there anymore as they found a cockroach in the dumpling!

I find the Toronto ones rival the ones in Hong Kong. I have listed two cart service and two menu service ones
Cart - Spring Villa (in agreement with Rejuv) and Bright Pearl (downtown Chinatown)
I think Lee Wah Heen is one of the best dim sum places, but also put Dynasty as a worthy rival.

I have been to a few in HK and Beijing that are worthy of mention but will have to dig up the names.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 1:33 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Both excellent recommendations. ^ There is also the Royal China Club on Baker Street which is a little more expensive and with a broader selection of non-dim sum options. A favourite of Takshin Shinawatra no less.
Used to love Yautacha until a horrible meal there recently. The others are good, but not excellent.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
There are so many good place in Vancouver, its hard to know where to begin.

I'll stick with Sun Sui Wah, Floata and Golden Harvest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.