Admit it if you've eaten American fast food overseas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Admit it if you've eaten American fast food overseas

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2008, 11:59 pm

Programs: aa lifetime platinum
Due to an urgent calling of nature in moscow near the train station , i spotted the cyrillic alphabet version of SBARRO and sure enough , clean toilets thank God.
i did go back there for curiosity and had some pizza and a cheese cake slice and the quality was better than i remember in the USA and much more expensive than other restaurants at the time in moscow.
it was a nice scene. people were well dressed and making a night of it.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As mentioned in the other thread missydarlin referred to, usually if I visit a MacDonalds overseas, it's to try something different, so it's just another part of trying the local food and cuisine for me (like it or not, MacDonalds now is local cuisine in many countries).

There's one exception, and that's because the local offerings are wildly overpriced and a lottery when it comes to quality.

Venice

It's awful to admit, but the only food I eat in this city is either from the deli counter from one of the small local supermarkets (this involves 'picnicking' on a park bench or in the hotel room) or in MacDonalds.

At least I've been able to console myself with MacSquid rings in the past
Old Oct 1, 2008, 12:32 am
iff

My first experience with American fast food overseas was McDonald's in a provincial city in France in the mid 1980s. All the regular restaurants closed at 2 p.m. and opened for dinner at 8 p.m., so if you didn't manage to get to lunch on time and were hungry, McDo was really the only option.

As others have said, it's interesting to see the differences in the menus and the restaurants themselves, and the restrooms have come in handy on a few occasions. Also, at least in Paris, they're very reasonably priced compared to even the cheapest restaurants.

I don't eat there often and am frankly not a big fan, but sometimes it's just convenient.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 12:56 am

Programs: Club Premier, AmEx Plat, Priority Pass
Mickey D's has always been the option for fast, economic and "safe" for us poor people, that been said, I've had it in the 12 countries I've visited. Of course 80% of the times I'd go for local food but when you're in a hurry, low on cash and there is one McD in front of the place you're staying, sorry :S.

One weird thing was that when I lived abroad (Japan - 1 year) for a couple of months I'd go to McD's every other day to get... a salad! Buying the ingredients to DIY was inconvenient and expensive and my body (and stomach) had a hard time getting rid of vegetables from my diet... and of course they still had the 100 yen (1 USD) cheeseburgers, in such a expensive country, that is an awesome deal.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aldoman
in such a expensive country, that is an awesome deal.
When were you in Japan that eating out was expensive?

(Amongst the world's richer nations, Japan has to be one of the cheapest countries to dine out in and get prepared food that I've ever been to)
Old Oct 1, 2008, 4:14 am

Programs: Club Premier, AmEx Plat, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by LapLap
(Amongst the world's richer nations, Japan has to be one of the cheapest countries to dine out in and get prepared food that I've ever been to)
Absolutely correct! but before arriving there I was used to get even cheaper food by fixing it myself, so getting 100 yen cheeseburgers was a good deal for me at the time.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aldoman
Absolutely correct! but before arriving there I was used to get even cheaper food by fixing it myself, so getting 100 yen cheeseburgers was a good deal for me at the time.
For those in cities, finding out that you can't make your own food from scratch more cheaply than buying it prepared certainly is a shock to the system.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 4:40 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
You know, 99 times out of 100 I will eat just about anything put in front of me and not even ask any questions about what the hell it is, where it came from or how it was prepared. But every once in a while when I'm a few days off the beaten path and gained just a little more life expirence than is wise within to compressed period time, there is nothing wrong with walking into the local Golden Arches, KFC or A&W and ordering up a "#1" set/meal/whatever with a Coke. It has it's place.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chisinau Moldova. Getting food you might want to eat anywhere other than McDonalds at 10pm isn't easy. The Arches can also be a useful respite in other CIS nations and was a very welcome sight after a few days in the wilds of India. I love curry, but sometimes you just need bland, greasy food.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
When travelling, there's nothing worse than being starving, going into a local restaurant, and nothing looks good. I don't mind local fare, but sometimes it's just the old familiar. I do admit to passing 376 "local" sandwich shops on the way to eat at KFC.

I have noticed in the UK the fast food places appear to be more socially and environmentally conscious. After reading Fast Food Nation we boycotted KFC and McD.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 6:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
I don't really see how this is such a big deal as long as it isn't the only thing you're eating while visiting another country. I mean sometimes theres not a lot of time to sit down and eat when you are sight-seeing.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
I had a birthday party (9th -10th?) at the first McDonald's in Italy right after it opened. (The one near Spagna).

Let's just say that every Mickey D's since that day has been a let-down.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:18 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
In Thailand I occasionally pick up an iced coffee at 7 Eleven when there are no Thai iced coffee vendors handy. I've been to a Bangkok Starbucks a couple of times at the behest of my Thai friend. Sometimes he also gets a craving for Sizzler for some reason. Once in a while I pick up a small fries at McDonald's after a couple of weeks of eating rice and Thai food every day. Last trip while waiting for my flight back home I had a Dairy Queen blueberry Blizzard at the Suvranabhumi DQ. Back in the US, however, the only time I visit any fast food place is at airports, and that's usually just a McDonald's coffee.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:22 am

Programs: AA gold, UA Premier, HH Gold, *wood gold, PC gold
Rovaniemi, Finland - Macca's, but just to get an orange soda to mix with my vodka for a walkabout.

Nicosia, Cyprus - Macca's. Had to try the Gyro inspired Big Mac.

Sydney, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Bucharest, UK, Istanbul - Starbucks. Iced Mocha, for nursing a hangover.

Just about everywhere I've been - HRC. I collect the merch and clothing.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:27 am

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space has been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 18, 2008 at 8:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.