Best beverage to accompany shisha

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La

I discovered the joys of smoking a shisha (a water pipe, a.k.a. hooka, nargila, and I am sure many other names in different parts of the world) in the Middle East. It seems to be gaining popularity in the U.S., too.

I have experimented with a variety of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages as accompaniments, and many of them taste surprisingly bad. For example, Turkish or American coffee really clashes with the flavor in my opinion. Ditto for red wine and scotch. I haven't tried cognac. Diet coke might even be OK. I guess the same drinks would be good or bad with a normal pipe, but the complement to a cigar seems to be different, since the smoke in a shisha is lighter and cooler. (I suppose that it might depend to some extent on the flavor of the shisha tobacco.)

Really, the best choice that I have discovered, which actually complements the taste of the tobacco, is black tea with milk, either sweet or not sweet, like they drink in the Middle East and Indian subcontinent. By the same token, I bet that Thai iced tea would be OK.

Does anyone have any other ideas or experiences?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Have you tried mint tea? (Or infuse black tea with mint leaves)

Eons ago, when I worked at a Moroccan restaurant, I drank liters of it. I seem to recall that the owner (as big an arsehole as any restaurant owner I've ever met ) would tell stories of sitting around with his friends back in the old country, drinking tea, and smoking the hookah.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
alcoholic drinks were not meant to be enjoyed with nargila.....the shisha/nargila culture stems from the Middle East, where a majority of the people are Muslims.....you have to stick to either tea or chai drinks. Forget soda too.....you can MAYBE get away with an espresso, but tea or chai is the way to go.....the mint tea idea is the best.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:44 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
Try "White tea"
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:54 pm

Programs: FB-Gold, SPG-Plat, Priority Club-Plat
A lot depends on what you're smoking, dried fruit is my fav. And I always have hot tea with sugar.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 2:06 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Apple tea, although quite a faff (and I mean the proper one with chunks of dried apple, not the apple-flavoured black tea you get in supermarkets) is a great accompaniment, and a good Turkish way of enjoying a nargile/shisha.

Mint tea is great, too, although also at its best when made with pure mint - not tea leaves.
Old May 14, 2010, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I discovered sambuca as a pretty good alcoholic choice. Obviously, this spirit is not to everyone's liking, but, if you like it, it's not a bad accompaniment. Maybe next time I will try Benedictine, Drambuie, or something else in that genre.

Incidentally, this experience was in a bar/lounge in Bahrain, at a rare establishment in which shisha and alcohol are served in the same place. ^
Old May 16, 2010, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Try coke and let me know.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 5:40 am
Original Poster

I sometimes drink Diet Coke or Pepsi, and it's not bad.

I recently had Cherry Heering along with my shisha at the Lebanese restaurant at the Emirates Palace hotel. A great accompaniment.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: Miles & Bonus *S
From what I've heard (never actually tried it myself as I don't smoke), mint tea made with fresh mint leaves works really well.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mint tea. Booze is bad as you'll be comatose for hours.

Do not - ever - do as I did and try a sheesha where the water had been replaced with red wine. Urrgghhh.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Mint tea. Booze is bad as you'll be comatose for hours.

Do not - ever - do as I did and try a sheesha where the water had been replaced with red wine. Urrgghhh.
In Ukraine (e.g., the Budda Bar, an outstanding venue) they offer milk, wine, vodka, even absinthe as the liquid. Never tried it.

Though sometimes ending up "comatose" is precisely the point!
Old Jul 29, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: Miles & Bonus *S
Using absinth as the liquid should produce some ... interesting results
Old Jul 29, 2012, 3:54 pm

Have you ever heard of Moroccan mint tea?

Also, try Mauritius Vanilla black tea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.